A few photos of my recent activities.

Help Support CattleToday:

whitewing

Reaction score
I've been busy. Really busy. Where all these folks bought bales before I started baling, I don't have a clue.....I can't make them fast enough. And so far it doesn't much matter what I'm baling.....they want 'em, or need 'em. Perhaps it's this tough summer that's producing the demand.

Anyway, a few photos.

Here are a few shots of us baling estrella or "star" at the ranch of Pedro Pino....or Peter Pine as I call him. Estrella ranks about 3rd on the list of material horse owners want for their animals behind bermuda and swasi.

100_3888.jpg

100_3903.jpg

Amazing how much estrella looks like bermuda, though a bit thicker or "rougher".

100_3892.jpg

As usual, I'm baling two places at the same time. Pino's place is in a valley along the river while the other spot I'm baling (La Gloria) is on a bluff to the southeast....about an hour's drive by tractor. Being one to stop and smell the roses, I took a few pics one day in route to La Gloria.

Here's a pic from the bluff looking back at Pino's place and the pueblo beyond. My ranch is roughly in the center of the photo at the base of the mountains in the distance.
100_3930.jpg

Here's a ground dove nest I found while looking for the right spot to take a pic of the valley below. They're small doves, lots of reddish flashing when they fly.
100_3935.jpg

Once on the bluff, the ranches are quite large (as opposed to the smaller parcels along the river below) and they're really beautiful. I tried, but just couldn't capture how pretty the scenery was. Anyway, here's a shot or two as I travel towards La Gloria.
100_3916.jpg

100_3924.jpg

La Gloria

A buddy of mine called me one day and said that the owner of La Gloria wanted to talk to me about baling two types of pasture they have. I was surprised since La Gloria is not known as a cattle ranch or pasture producer. As it turns out, the pasture is pretty much residual from when the ranch was a cattle operation. Not sure how many years ago they made the switch, but they're now a huge mango and lime plantation with most of their product being exported to Europe. They're very well-respected in the area.

Anyway, working in La Gloria as been a real treat for me. They gave me a key to the front gate (which is always locked) and told me to come and go as I pleased....."make bales and sell 'em, we don't need any bales here at La Gloria".

I'm baling one pasture of decumbre which is really suitable for cattle and one pasture of humidicola which is a horse feed. The decumbre pasture will be planted with lime trees soon which is why the owner wanted to extract something of value before plowing and planting it.

Here we are baling humidicola. I've been pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to sell.....though found it tough to cut.
100_3952.jpg

Here's a few shots of the mango section at La Gloria. I've not yet ventured over to the lime side but will eventually. I need to ask the owner how many mango trees they've got....it's probably on the order of 20,000 or more as relatively small sections are noted to have as many as 3,000.
100_3948-1.jpg

100_3940.jpg

100_3944-1.jpg

100_3943.jpg

Check out this setup. It's obviously used to trim the trees....that I knew. What I didn't know is that the trimming process, along with some stimulate they apply via spray, promotes the growth of the mangos.
100_3936.jpg

100_3938-1.jpg

Here are some young mangos sprouting where the ends of the branches had been trimmed.
100_3953.jpg

Great pictures WW! Here we have a 15 % snow cover, and more than two months to any hay baling. (no mango crop either :( )

Does anyone ever bushhog that big hill? That hill looks like my place.

Great pics as always, love seeing other parts of the world. What's the sign say other than Mango and area #. "Stay out and no pictures" ? :D Thanks for sharing.

Alan

Alan":36o6fhel said:
Great pics as always, love seeing other parts of the world. What's the sign say other than Mango and area #. "Stay out and no pictures" ? :D Thanks for sharing.

Alan

100_3948-1.jpg

Here, an agropecuaria can be a farm, a ranch, or even a feed/seed/pet store.....I guess the word covers just about anything to do with the production of plants, animals, grains, etc.

"Variedad" is variety, or in this case the type of mango trees in that particular section.....Hayden or Tommy A.

"No. Arboles" is number of trees in that section.

And the "Area: 21,98 HA" stands for 21.98 hectars of land or roughly 54 acres in total.

bigbull338":1pjk347j said:
those are some pretty pics.how meny bales of hay to the acre do you get most times.

Good question. Lots of variance depending on the pasture type, age of the material, soil types, etc. Having said that, my limited experience would be something along these lines on bales to the acre:

Bermuda (200), Humidicola and Estrella (180), Decumbre (160). I tried to bale guinea grass but gave up....too hard on the equipment, operator (me), and the crew. That stuff is tough to work with.

James T":2rdvimhg said:
Whitewing, I always look forward to your pictures and what's going on down that way. Your success is inspiring!

Thanks JamesT. I'm really enjoying seeing this business grow. Somewhere on my computer I've got an article saved by CNN Business News. Of the top 50 industrialized countries of the world, they ranked Venezuela No. 1 as the toughest place to start a new business....and boy do I believe it. Nothing comes easy down here and for that it's been a real challenge and a pleasure for me at the same time.

I recently bought a place in the pueblo and am going to open a feed/seed/animal medicine/farm implement business. There's not one within about an hour's drive of the pueblo and I'm confident it's going to be a success. It certainly meshes well with my bale business and due to the success of that business, I've got credit with just about every feed/seed/farm implement place outside that hour's drive. All of them have been pleased to hear my plans and every single one of them has offered to help me get it kicked off.

Only thing is, no rest for the weary. :D

Good to know that your hay business is doing well. Always glad to see hard work pay off. Please keep the pic's coming. Good luck with your new business.

Latest posts