Keeping my pasture healthy

Help Support CattleToday:

Ridgetop

Reaction score
Is overseeding thin Bahia and Bermuda with white clover or a sheep pasture mix ok for cattle? In most of one 15 acre pasture, the Bahia and Bermuda is growing well, but we have patchy areas where we would like to overseed with white clover or pasture mix for our sheep flock. We understand that overseeding a pasture is best done before frost, or after the first frost before snow (maybe not in ne TX?) or at east before really cold weather. If we turn in a couple cows on the pasture before the sheep will the white clover/sheep pasture mix be ok for them? I understand tht turning cows into the pasture before the sheep will help with Barber Pole worm control.

First, please add your location to your avitar/name. Have you soil tested? What is your Ph? Any thoughts as to why these patches are thin? Clover ia a good idea (probably) for the entire pasture, but we need more information on your current pasture. AND, there are right ways and wrong ways to overseed with clover. You need to make sure there is good seed to soil contact (pasture preparation is key here).

IDK about overseeding in the south if it's anything like this. (I'm moving from OH to SC). We 'frost seed' in Ohio where we broadcast the seed in Jan/Feb so the freeze/thaw action 'plants' the seed. We will even broadcast on a fresh bed of snow. However, I do know my prior post is valid in the south.

IDK about overseeding in the south if it's anything like this. (I'm moving from OH to SC). We 'frost seed' in Ohio where we broadcast the seed in Jan/Feb so the freeze/thaw action 'plants' the seed. We will even broadcast on a fresh bed of snow. However, I do know my prior post is valid in the south.
Dark of the moon in February is the best time to frost seed clover.

Latest posts