7 out of 5

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
We had 5 cows due for fall calves. One cow had twin heifers - both 80#. Last cow just had twin bulls this morning - 98# and 106# :shock: calved during the night.
This is the dam about 5 days ago:

Nephew supposed to be getting him up so we could weigh him:

Dam & twins early this AM:

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
We had 5 cows due for fall calves. One cow had twin heifers - both 80#. Last cow just had twin bulls this morning - 98# and 106# :shock: calved during the night.
This is the dam about 5 days ago:

Nephew supposed to be getting him up so we could weigh him:

Dam & twins early this AM:

Wow. 204 pounds of calf inside her not counting placenta and fluids. I can see in the picture where Phil is holding one - must be the 106 pounder.

Yes, and I thought 160# (80# + 80#) was a lot on the first set.
She was really, really bellied down. (should have gotten a face on shot) I generally let the fall cows calve out on pasture, but yesterday she isolated herself, and I "suspected" twins with her size, so I put her in a small paddock attached to the barn - just in case she needed assistance. Checked her at 10pm then again at 5am. Calves were born sometime in between checks. (don't have cameras on for fall calving).
She cleaned sometime before noon. Super sweet cow, lets us manhandle the calves. We always separate them for the shots, weights and naval dip - (and Inforce 3). Do not feel comfortable with ANY cow over my shoulder. LOL

Congrats!

I had one cow have 2 bull calves at 100 lbs each, but one was breech and with the first being that size I didn't check for a second one until it was too late.. she was a BIG cow.. her sister (also big) had twins, but the more usual size, 65 lb heifer and 75 lb bull calf

She's not even one of my BIG cows. She weighed 1475# in July (obviously VERY pregnant LOL more than I knew!) She showed no sign of stress after calving and cleaned. Full sib from last year was in our show string. Was really hoping for a heifer (ONE!!).

Quite amazing she had them all on her own! I'd thought she be played out after the first one. Lol

What's the sire of those calves Jeanne? They look STOUT.

Sire is Mack AF - he is a 1/2 brother to STF Dominance. I buy the semen from the owner. He is definitely not rated as a CE sire LOL - but I have never had a problem calving to him. Of course, I have only used him on cows. I think I have shown or sold every heifer out of him.
If you saw my Cow/Calf pair that I won Supreme with, the cow is a Mack AF daughter. This was the Mack dam last year:

I keep trying to find another red bull that will give me great females like this. I do castrate all his bull calves just because their EPD's will be horrible and I won't sell one like that - and - most are heavy BW. But, I have a lot of big cows that never have a "little" calf. LOL

WinterSpringsFarm said:
Quite amazing she had them all on her own! I'd thought she be played out after the first one. Lol

What's the sire of those calves Jeanne? They look STOUT.
The great thing about his calves, yes they are stout, but they have flat shoulders and very pretty feminine front ends.
Like I mentioned, she calved during the night. Showed no sign of being "tired" "weak" or unsteady legs - and she cleaned right away. 1 of the calves was just getting up when I saw them with the flashlight. So, my guess is she had no problems at all. Dang good thing they both came positioned correctly. That would have been a nightmare with the two that size.

Wow that a lot of calf and better luck than we usually have with twins! Hope all stays well with them.

Nice cow.It seems everyone is having twins. We have never had any.

LOL - I don't wish them on anyone. Yes, you can make money on them, IF:
Both survive.
Didn't have to have a vet out to untangle them at birth.
Cow cleans timely.
Cow holds her weight.
Cow rebreeds timely.

I didn't have any during my spring calving, but we had 5 sets last year. Finding two live calves (and they are LIVELY) is a blessing. Generally, more headaches than not.
I must admit, it sure brings a smile on my face when I see the two of them nursing or bopping around together. Not sure if it's the sight or the relief of what could have been!!!!

Latest posts