$7 corn and $15 soybeans?

Help Support CattleToday:

No I just want to be able to pay my bills- and yes i do think you can make money milking cows, but i do think it can take years to get your operation to where it has to be to do it. I have 2 neighbors that are making money, but they also have both been doing it for over 40 years- each-
Yes 2009 was a horrific year, but diesel and such went down in price, you take things as they are now, and it only spells trouble, not just for dairy farmers but many small businesses.

Do your co-ops allow you to forward contract your milk? we use to do some of it...take the highs and lows out of the equation and allows you to know what your price will be and concentrate on managing the expense side of the ledger.

Looks like the markets are firming up in overnight trade. Looks like the damage has been done to cattle for the week.

Larry

I saw more land clearing done today than I've seen in the last 20 years. If you have an excavator or some dozers that are idle you might want to bring them toward my neck of the woods. You might not get paid but you sure will be busy.

Yes we have thought about clearing osme of our woods, tomake more pasture land or hay ground, those guys charge over $100 an hour though, but still it could be a good idea-to make up for high feed costs.

I would think futures would firm up today barring worse news out of Japan .Should see a bounce today as traders cover short positions . The question is will they go back up or do we have a new trading range ?

Larry

larryshoat":3tcs0am8 said:
I would think futures would firm up today barring worse news out of Japan .Should see a bounce today as traders cover short positions . The question is will they go back up or do we have a new trading range ?

Larry
Heck Larry you know now that the spring price is set. The government will make sure the fall price is higher.

Latest posts