$7 corn and $15 soybeans?

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":17f8l7v7 said:
What does a barrell of crude oil cost today compared to this time last year??

Good point,but how much crude oil does it take to make a ton of potash? My point is that sometimes it goes better when prices stabilize. If you're not very careful the inputs will kill you. I'm not the best marketer, usually use straight forward contracts, maybe an occasional HTA. The problem when you start to sell next years crop is how many bushels will I have? I've never had to buy a contract back, but I've been close before. When I plant an acre of corn my costs are fixed, I can and usually do sell ahead enough to cover those costs, where the problem comes in is when I get 100bu corn instead of 200bu. In that case I've sold the crop for what at the time looked like a good price, but I only have half the bushels to work with, the price goes up because the crop is short, the inputs for the next year go up and makes things kind of tight. In that case the crop insurance makes a tremendous difference.

Not trying to sound like an expert, but it seems to me that's what happens. There again I'm not the best marketer, but hopefully improving.

Larry

Supply and demand guys. You know the drill. Higher prices encourge more fertilizer use because higher yield equal higher profits. Higher demand means higher prices, same for oil, natural gas, fertilizer, houses, it all the same. Supplier charge higher prices if they think that can sell their product without lower volumn, and when there inventory stack up they start lowering profits.

Crude is up 1/3 it appears....refining cost would be up, transportation up and "demand" . When phosp was $1200 a couple years ago a huge number of uses discontiued or cut way back on it. Within a few months it was back down to half that amount. It's just good marketing by the owners of the product. Can't blame them for looking out for their end of the business.

TexasBred":1eii8bne said:
Crude is up 1/3 it appears....refining cost would be up, transportation up and "demand" . When phosp was $1200 a couple years ago a huge number of uses discontiued or cut way back on it. Within a few months it was back down to half that amount. It's just good marketing by the owners of the product. Can't blame them for looking out for their end of the business.

:lol2: No, I don't blame them, if I could get $14 a bushel for corn, I would. I've just realized their best interest and my best interest are somewhat at cross purposes :lol2: .

Larry

kenny thomas":3rfjl4yh said:
Well, I know half the answer, March corn closed at 7.05 today and July at 7.21. Cattle went up also.
Soybeans were down.
Wow...knew it was only a matter of time. Haven't even checked the market since Wed. Beans still well over $14??

I just picked up a load of corn the other day. I was talking with the guy operating the elevator and he was saying he heard that corn isn't going much higher. I tend to agree with his thoughts, or maybe I'm just hoping he's right. What could really make a mess is a difficult planting season coupled with the already tight supplies. I'm already working on contingency plans should corn move any higher.

Novaman does anyone in your area produce hominy feed as a by-product?? It wouldn't be cheap either but is a great replacement for corn.

TexasBred":2ydpfbkj said:
Novaman does anyone in your area produce hominy feed as a by-product?? It wouldn't be cheap either but is a great replacement for corn.
Not that I'm aware. I've been using a bit more barley in the grain mix. It isn't much cheaper but about a penny a pound so it does help.

kenny thomas":2c9l8iao said:
Evidently don't mean much. July corn is $7.22 and August feeder futures is $130.175. Let the good times roll.

Three weeks later and May corn is 7.28 and August feeders are 134.725. This with fuel prices jumping.

kenny thomas":p4rtver1 said:
kenny thomas":p4rtver1 said:
Evidently don't mean much. July corn is $7.22 and August feeder futures is $130.175. Let the good times roll.

Three weeks later and May corn is 7.28 and August feeders are 134.725. This with fuel prices jumping.
It ain't looking good is it Mr. Kenny....I think we are in for a rough summer.

Jogeephus":21df6c04 said:
Last week out of the bin, one semi-load $7.50 a bushel. Anyone want to feed some deer?

If you were the seller, god love 'ya. If you were the buyer, god help 'ya. I'm thinking grass fed deer tastes better all the time.

I thought it ironic that the DNR has been worrying themselves silly about people feeding corn to deer but it seems now the "problem" has worked itself out on its on.

I figured it up last night going to have right at 200.00 per acre in my corn this year. Last year I thought 40.00 a drum was bad, this year it should be 50.00 and the out of state hunters will still buy it I hope.

Latest posts