$7 corn and $15 soybeans?

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit":mpcsou8l said:
I figured it up last night going to have right at 200.00 per acre in my corn this year. Last year I thought 40.00 a drum was bad, this year it should be 50.00 and the out of state hunters will still buy it I hope.
How many pounds in a "drum"???? Deer hunters don't worry about cost....as long as they got plenty of booze and snacks.

backhoeboogie":23ndhgc5 said:
I posted my sentiments on this about an hour back. Poof it was gone! :cboy:
Thank heavens I'm not the only one! I thought I was losing it.. post something and then "gone" as you say "poof". We must have BAD opinions - lol
Valerie

Looks like the bottom has dropped out. Cattle down the limit today and $1.00 down in night trading. This makes feeder cattle $5.00 cheaper than a week ago. Corn is also down about $1.00 a bushel. Looks like the traders finally decided to play with their money somewhere else.

Calves are also quoted lower today because of the feeder futures.

kenny thomas":3b69yleu said:
Looks like the bottom has dropped out. Cattle down the limit today and $1.00 down in night trading. This makes feeder cattle $5.00 cheaper than a week ago. Corn is also down about $1.00 a bushel. Looks like the traders finally decided to play with their money somewhere else.

One word--JAPAN!

john250":vyehawjl said:
kenny thomas":vyehawjl said:

One word--JAPAN!

Yep...and if you really want some corn for delivery they'll probably still want much more than what the board is showing.

Cattle are down on the boards- but this year the boards don't mean squat. The cash market rules.......... so far.

From what I have been able to find for market sentiment today--
Live cattle are off a bit today- but not nearly as much as the futures are
Stockers are still holding or going up

Tomorrow it might be another story............

Howdyjabo":2mtuoy8a said:
Cattle are down on the boards- but this year the boards don't mean squat. The cash market rules.......... so far.

From what I have been able to find for market sentiment today--
Live cattle are off a bit today- but not nearly as much as the futures are
Stockers are still holding or going up

Tomorrow it might be another story............
We should have bought more Cotton.....

Good I hope the price of corn comes way down, because spring is coming and thats when all the sudden milk prices will drop-so something else will have to give if dairy farmers wil make any money, this winter sure has sucked!

From what I heard fats are were off 3 to4 dollars yesterday with light to moderate trade. Would be a bad time for an outside reversal in nearby futures. I think a lot depends on futures today, if they're down then the packer will have the leverage to buy this weeks showlist at considerably lower money, if they're up then sellers may have the resolve to hold out for short bought packers to raise the bid.

Hey, it sounds like when I reread all that I'm saying cattle may go up or they may go down, maybe I could be a consultant if I could make my comments a little more ambiguous......... no probably not.

Larry

Angus Cowman":3699hw02 said:
GMN":3699hw02 said:
Good I hope the price of corn comes way down, because spring is coming and thats when all the sudden milk prices will drop-so something else will have to give if dairy farmers wil make any money, this winter sure has sucked!
What is your dairy feed costing per ton now?

$14.10 a hundred

GMN":2xba2lr4 said:
Amazing how the co-ops always find reason to lower prices of milk and the premiums paid for components right at the times you're getting the least milk. But it's been going on for ages it seems.

TexasBred":2tk3lr8b said:
GMN":2tk3lr8b said:
Amazing how the co-ops always find reason to lower prices of milk and the premiums paid for components right at the times you're getting the least milk. But it's been going on for ages it seems.
I welcome corn prices to stay up and milk prices to come down. Most will be floored to read that first sentence. I like to think long term and not short, however. Higher corn means less being used and more being produced which means long term it should help keep corn from absolutely going crazy. With milk coming down that should cap production, especially with high feed and high slaughter prices, and long term result in a more mediocre but sustainable price. Everybody wants cheap feed and high milk prices but such scenarios are almost always short lived and hurt longer.

novaman":kk6cv1j1 said:
TexasBred":kk6cv1j1 said:
GMN":kk6cv1j1 said:
I welcome corn prices to stay up and milk prices to come down. Most will be floored to read that first sentence. I like to think long term and not short, however. Higher corn means less being used and more being produced which means long term it should help keep corn from absolutely going crazy. With milk coming down that should cap production, especially with high feed and high slaughter prices, and long term result in a more mediocre but sustainable price. Everybody wants cheap feed and high milk prices but such scenarios are almost always short lived and hurt longer.

In theory you're right....but if it doesn't work out your f&^&ed.

I can't remember the last time we had cheap feed? About 5-6 years ago-maybe? It was in the $6-$8 hundred range then. best time we had it was when milk was $20 a cwt, and feed was $8-then paying bills was easy and making improvements were possible too. You have to think of what else is high as well now, fuel, fertilizer and seed. If corn would go down, and milk prices would remain in the $16 range-it still would be hard, because everything has gone up because diesel is pushing $4 a gallon, anything that is transported by trucks or trains, has increased, groceries etc...I don't see feed prices comng down that much because diesel is high-and if milk prices drop more than $3 a cwt,its not gonna be good. The spring pastures will help for sure-but with everything else being sky high-it won't be a good situation.

kenny thomas":3e460yhx said:

two words - - momentum traders

GMN":11e8zhf2 said:
best time we had it was when milk was $20 a cwt, and feed was $8-then paying bills was easy and making improvements were possible too.
And what happened shortly after this wonderful time? I'll give you a hint, 2009. I realize you just want to make a profit and I hate to burst your bubble but everything finds its way back to breakeven and that's if you are a good manager. If there is profit to be made someone will take that profit until either we hit breakeven or everybody loses money. You have to face the fact that dairying probably never will be a big money maker anymore.

Latest posts