$55/Bale grass hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":2uw12g5n said:
We have gotten 2 cutting this year. First was 1.5 per ac second was 2.5 to ac. I fertilized in front of these storms again trying to slide a 3rd in. Im still a little shy of 2 bales per head for winter. If I can get 2.5 to ac on this 3rd cut Ill be right at 2.5 bales per head, which is comfortable.

Buying hay isn't an option. Any thing that is quality is already sold or $80+ a bale. When people start bailing distches and stuff I get pretty leary of buying.

My family has tifton and coastal patches that will have to be shredded or burned but they don't want to mess with bailing it. :mad: I can usually turn a blind eye to some of their non-sense but its a soar subject with me right now.
I have a neighbor that has a great field of jg/bermuda, waiting for the local hotshot to show up ! Just right across the road. Ive expressed my interest , maybe I'll get it .

Coosh71":3flt0c06 said:
We are in the Texas panhandle and bought some decent grass hay from a supplier last year for $35/bale. This year it's $55/bale. That's before delivery. Has anyone ordered a load of cake yet for the fall/winter? Curious what prices y'all are seeing for both. Thanks

Hay is up $15-30 a bale here. Cornstalks are $40 a roll and Soybean hay is $150-$200 a ton depending on quality. I called about cubes and commodity mixes last week, truckload of cubes was up $35-50 a ton from last year and commodity mixes up $30-35 a ton. I've bought bulk feed from the same place for years but had to shop around this time and find a cheaper supplier. Rain has been spotty, I'm at 3" since May but some folks have had up to 8". The cool spring nights we had really hurt the grass then no rain finished it off. Not a good year to br in cow biz.

MtnCows93":1na7vc31 said:
i hate yall are having drought and having to sell cows, where im from in the foothills of nc we had the wettest year in a long time with a bumper hay crop. i was looking at some people selling hay 5x4 rolls 25 bucks. did see 3 different people selling last years 4x4 hay and this years 4x4 hay for $10 a roll out of the field.i wish someone could organise a train load of hay from this area shipped to the drought areas.

Hear hear. I've got extra baleage and no takers. Gave away a bunch of squares left over from last year that were still semi-decent. So many dairies have failed that hay demand has dropped. Saw big rounds of baleage advertised for $20. :shock:

MtnCows93":r5jqbvi5 said:
i hate yall are having drought and having to sell cows, where im from in the foothills of nc we had the wettest year in a long time with a bumper hay crop. i was looking at some people selling hay 5x4 rolls 25 bucks. did see 3 different people selling last years 4x4 hay and this years 4x4 hay for $10 a roll out of the field.i wish someone could organise a train load of hay from this area shipped to the drought areas.
I saw last night 4x5 rolls for $22. I wish I had the facilities to stockpile it but I don't. The good news is I have more than enough to get me through is winter and maybe next (even it next year is light)!

sstterry":af5ppeky said:
MtnCows93":af5ppeky said:
I saw last night 4x5 rolls for $22. I wish I had the facilities to stockpile it but I don't. The good news is I have more than enough to get me through is winter and maybe next (even it next year is light)!
im in the same boat. i need to find a old chicken house or something to stockpile hay in. id be buying up all this cheap hay and store it up, i guess it would keep for years if its dry and off the ground

Hay prices are still strong in west central OK. Have a bunch of haygrazer down and also a patch of plains bluestem. They say we should have at least a 7 day window without any rain. After that the long range forecasters agree on 2-3 days with decent chances next week. Then further out they don't agree at all. Hopefully we can get the hay baled and up and the wheat planted. The man drilling it for us should be there around the 15th. He uses a no till drill.

We are still waiting for 2nd cutting. Finally told my guy to go for baleage. Not exactly "prime". It's 3 months growth but not much there. Still need more to meet my winter needs. Rain Rain. Sorry for those of you needing rain. Sure wish I could send you some and move it out of here.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3fe1dvu2 said:
We are still waiting for 2nd cutting. Finally told my guy to go for baleage. Not exactly "prime". It's 3 months growth but not much there. Still need more to meet my winter needs. Rain Rain. Sorry for those of you needing rain. Sure wish I could send you some and move it out of here.

we need rain and we got 6inchs of snow :shock: sold 550 bales last year, now need a second cut, and have bought in 300 plus.

We sold the hay this spring as others were short, and we did have a good soil water profile, but too much warm wind dried every thing out then very little rain.

5x6 here now topping $60 plus haulage, bot mine bought a bit better than that

Hay is recovering here due to a week of light showers and reduced temperatures. Looks like the market will stabilize after all. Personally I've been through for several weeks now. Got the ground all prepared for Austrian Winter (Field) peas. Probably will be dry enough to plant today, maybe tomorrow. This will be my 3rd year running peas for soil enrichment. Well worth the effort besides providing ground cover to reduce erosion.

1wlimo":29u7ngae said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":29u7ngae said:

we need rain and we got 6inchs of snow :shock: sold 550 bales last year, now need a second cut, and have bought in 300 plus.

We sold the hay this spring as others were short, and we did have a good soil water profile, but too much warm wind dried every thing out then very little rain.

snow? how far north are you in AB?

boondocks":1e2gb5ax said:
1wlimo":1e2gb5ax said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1e2gb5ax said:

snow? how far north are you in AB?

A little over half way,

It's easy to fall for cheap prices but for me the quality of the hay is the most important consideration.

aventun":gexgjg3f said:
It's easy to fall for cheap prices but for me the quality of the hay is the most important consideration.
Price should be somewhat of an indicator of quality and vice versa. Not always true though but a good hay test helps.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":se4dbtjb said:
Baling as I type. It is almost dry, so should be able to use like dry hay, but will be wrapped. Looks awesome.
doesn't it need to have adequate moisture to be wrapped.. like 40-60%?

No, only if making baleage/silage. I have wrapped dry hay before and it is as green coming out as it was when wrapped. A good way to keep hay if you don't have the barn space.....its sort of like shrink wrapping it.

If you read "the book", it says baleage should be something like 50-75% moisture. But, many out here will try to dry hay and if weather does not cooperate (which is MOST of the time), they roll it up & wrap it.

Latest posts