$55/Bale grass hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Coosh71

Reaction score
We are in the Texas panhandle and bought some decent grass hay from a supplier last year for $35/bale. This year it's $55/bale. That's before delivery. Has anyone ordered a load of cake yet for the fall/winter? Curious what prices y'all are seeing for both. Thanks

Coosh71":i6kmu37k said:
We are in the Texas panhandle and bought some decent grass hay from a supplier last year for $35/bale. This year it's $55/bale. That's before delivery. Has anyone ordered a load of cake yet for the fall/winter? Curious what prices y'all are seeing for both. Thanks

Unfertilized was 30 last year 40 this and you pick it up.

Coosh71":wysfh2ny said:
Saw 20% cubes for $9..75 a bag last week. Nutrena brand and thsoe were fall/winter prices.

Drought here : hay cutting about bale and half to acre commercial balers charging $42 a bale to bale, no hay fields left to bale, all hay dealers sold out , no hay left in county for sale, already herd sell outs.I have enough hay to last to Oct. then will have make some serious decisions. :frowns:

Cowboy pray you get some moisture soon.

Coosh in west central OK prices vary quiet a bit. We paid $75.00 a bale for this years wheat hay earlier. Have haygrazer down now. Her son laid down some plains of hers and baling it on the shares. We bought some year old bales in good shape for 50 a bale. They are 17 miles from us so will haul them with our hay trailers. He had wheat and hay grazer at the same price. A lot of grass being baled that has never been baled before. We should have enough for almost 1 1/2 years if we have a normal winter and summer next year. The last wheat hay and the grass will be for insurance in case we have a bad winter or a drought next summer.

I've been wondering about hay prices myself, starting to get some put up and need to sell it.

cowboy43":37h839mk said:
all hay dealers sold out , no hay left in county for sale, already herd sell outs.I have enough hay to last to Oct. then will have make some serious decisions. :frowns:

Why wait till you are out of feed? Git r done. :cowboy:

Stocker Steve":2hjvnq0l said:
cowboy43":2hjvnq0l said:
all hay dealers sold out , no hay left in county for sale, already herd sell outs.I have enough hay to last to Oct. then will have make some serious decisions. :frowns:

Why wait till you are out of feed? Git r done. :cowboy:
Yeah....why wait to sell after you've fed all your hay. Sell the cows and hay.... you will lose on the cows but make a butttt load on the hay. Just might break even on the two rather than make poop out of the hay and end up being forced to sell anyway. :2cents:

Allenw":3gdezuby said:
I've been wondering about hay prices myself, starting to get some put up and need to sell it.
Baled corn stalks are being advertised from $40 to $60 a bale. Probably won't do anything but go up.

At auction here 3weeks ago, this years second cutting 45 and change , last years stored dry 42 and change . About 350 bales each , both buyers took it all. If you know you can't make it , sell now , as mentioned you can come out on the hay you have left . We've done it , as many others have . It doesn't make you less a cattlemen , it makes you a smart manager .

Allenw":1m2vya0m said:

we might be interested in some, depending on where in OK you are located. I can find it for $25 to $30 for a 5 x 5, but the shipping adds $1800 to the load, or about $70 to a bale (33 to 34 bales on a truck). I can not feed my beef cows that expensive of hay.

Fire Sweep Ranch":ctwwd5m9 said:
Allenw":ctwwd5m9 said:

we might be interested in some, depending on where in OK you are located. I can find it for $25 to $30 for a 5 x 5, but the shipping adds $1800 to the load, or about $70 to a bale (33 to 34 bales on a truck). I can not feed my beef cows that expensive of hay.

I'm a good three hours west of Tulsa.

We have 2 sub irrigated Meadows we could cut this year with good grass (primarily Bermuda), BUT!!!! There is no one close enough to cut it. Everyone is either busy cutting their own or booked cutting for others. It's always something lol.

cowboy43":qf2m3tgw said:
Drought here : hay cutting about bale and half to acre commercial balers charging $42 a bale to bale, no hay fields left to bale, all hay dealers sold out , no hay left in county for sale, already herd sell outs.I have enough hay to last to Oct. then will have make some serious decisions. :frowns:

I've kicked around and stumped my toe on more than I need. You need it come get it. I'll tell you what I got in it. You can pay what you want , when you want.

i hate yall are having drought and having to sell cows, where im from in the foothills of nc we had the wettest year in a long time with a bumper hay crop. i was looking at some people selling hay 5x4 rolls 25 bucks. did see 3 different people selling last years 4x4 hay and this years 4x4 hay for $10 a roll out of the field.i wish someone could organise a train load of hay from this area shipped to the drought areas.

Our hay this year is $56/bale, questionable mixed grass 4x5s. Last year $51 4x5 1/2s bermuda. Glad to have what we could get in the barn.

We have gotten 2 cutting this year. First was 1.5 per ac second was 2.5 to ac. I fertilized in front of these storms again trying to slide a 3rd in. Im still a little shy of 2 bales per head for winter. If I can get 2.5 to ac on this 3rd cut Ill be right at 2.5 bales per head, which is comfortable.

Buying hay isn't an option. Any thing that is quality is already sold or $80+ a bale. When people start bailing distches and stuff I get pretty leary of buying.

My family has tifton and coastal patches that will have to be shredded or burned but they don't want to mess with bailing it. :mad: I can usually turn a blind eye to some of their non-sense but its a soar subject with me right now.

Coosh71":26iue7xd said:
My local guy, Lockhart Tx, 5×6 Coastal Bluestem mixed, net wrapped, heavy, unfertilized, you pick up, $70. And he brought this in from the Port Aransas area. The only other stuff local is $80-$100 4x5 and weighs almost half as much, I have to feed (2) 4x5 to every (1) 5X6. I am still feeding last year's 5X6 I bought for $40.

Latest posts