5 year old boys' engineering marvel

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Little Hoss was playing outside in the yard today and after not hearing anything from him in an hour I went to check on him. He had built a contraption out of sticks that looked like a 2 ft tall teepee bound by string at the top. Another flexible stick about 5 ft long was laid across the top of the teepee at an angle with a rock holding the thick end of the stick to the ground. Kind of looked like a fishing pole with the little teepee as the rod holder. The flexible end was bent down to the ground and anchored under a string stretched between two pegs. A 3 ft long piece of 2"pvc pipe led to the end of the stick held down by the string. I called him over and asked what he had built and he said it was a double super duper snake trap. Puzzled I asked how he was going to catch a snake with that. He said 'simple dad.......the snake will think the pipe is a snake hole and will crawl in. When he comes out the other end he will press the skinny end of the stick down and it will come out from under the string and fling the snake up on the porch'. I told him that was a snake launcher and not a trap. He said 'yes it is.....when it throws the snake up on the porch it will fall in that bucket and can't get out'. I looked up on the porch and sure enough he had one of the orange 5 gallon Home Depot buckets up there. I didn't bother telling him that it probably wouldn't work and that since it was 45 degrees out there were no snakes around......I was too impressed by his in-depth thought process on how to catch a snake. I told him we need to send one down to Jogeephus so he could rid the Georgia swamps from the evil cottonmouth. He then got started explaining how he was going to build a huge one to catch alligators. I may put him to work designing a new set of working pens for me :lol2:

:clap: That is pretty good.

HOSS":11z5azyk said:
I may put him to work designing a new set of working pens for me :lol2:

It is going to take a pretty good sized stick to fling a cow into a pen. You should probably get him some pipe and industrial size springs to work with.

HOSS":2ey2vvyz said:
Little Hoss was playing outside in the yard today and after not hearing anything from him in an hour I went to check on him. He had built a contraption out of sticks that looked like a 2 ft tall teepee bound by string at the top. Another flexible stick about 5 ft long was laid across the top of the teepee at an angle with a rock holding the thick end of the stick to the ground. Kind of looked like a fishing pole with the little teepee as the rod holder. The flexible end was bent down to the ground and anchored under a string stretched between two pegs. A 3 ft long piece of 2"pvc pipe led to the end of the stick held down by the string. I called him over and asked what he had built and he said it was a double super duper snake trap. Puzzled I asked how he was going to catch a snake with that. He said 'simple dad.......the snake will think the pipe is a snake hole and will crawl in. When he comes out the other end he will press the skinny end of the stick down and it will come out from under the string and fling the snake up on the porch'. I told him that was a snake launcher and not a trap. He said 'yes it is.....when it throws the snake up on the porch it will fall in that bucket and can't get out'. I looked up on the porch and sure enough he had one of the orange 5 gallon Home Depot buckets up there. I didn't bother telling him that it probably wouldn't work and that since it was 45 degrees out there were no snakes around......I was too impressed by his in-depth thought process on how to catch a snake. I told him we need to send one down to Jogeephus so he could rid the Georgia swamps from the evil cottonmouth. He then got started explaining how he was going to build a huge one to catch alligators. I may put him to work designing a new set of working pens for me :lol2:
:lol: that's awesome!

HOSS":xfi5sqt0 said:
I may put him to work designing a new set of working pens for me :lol2:

Cow won't fit in that 5 gallon home depot bucket but I can cut the top out of the trailer if he can launch those cows.

That's great Hoss. I believe I'd get him a draftmans table and set him to work designing the pen and you best start now building gates and hinges.

chippie":zsnl128a said:
:D you have a very smart and creative kid there. Do you take pics of his inventions?
I didn't but if it is still intact when I get home I will snap a pic. He assembled a fairly complex train track a few days ago using about three different train track sets. He had 3 engines working at the same time on it. I am going to start teaching him how to run animal traps next year.......he might just catch that blond coyote that has been baffling me for months.

ALACOWMAN":2u8m4uqz said:
hope it don't sling it on his mom, just as she walks outside..... :cowboy:
Me too........she is a snake hater of the highest order. There would be heII to pay if she got a snake flung on her :devil2:

I'd still like to see him launch a cow. Got a couple in mind too. It is too bad I sold that one crazy witch. It would have been a pleasure to let him experiment with her and his catapult.

HOSS":md3le94i said:
ALACOWMAN":md3le94i said:
hope it don't sling it on his mom, just as she walks outside..... :cowboy:
Me too........she is a snake hater of the highest order. There would be heII to pay if she got a snake flung on her :devil2:
I have just become a fan of the kid and his mom.

That kid needs to devote full time to snake traps. :clap: :clap: :clap:

hoss you have a smart lil boy that uses what he can find to make things an make them work.

Latest posts