$426,000 in cattle stolen

Help Support CattleToday:

I have always paid for cattle with a check.
What boggles my mind is that the couple had no end game. As soon as they wrote the checks they were going to get caught.
And 426,000 is not a petty crime.

I cant belive they accepted checks that large without verifying they were good. They know if a check is good before they give you the receipt now days.

Craig Miller":2hzyfhxn said:
I cant belive they accepted checks that large without verifying they were good. They know if a check is good before they give you the receipt now days.
Yep--or close to immediately anyway. Vericheck or some other electronic verification service is pretty common.

A lot of barns will take checks the first time you show up if you are from around there and just buy a few but 92 head should be enough to warrant calling their bank and verifying funds before allowing them to leave with the cattle. When we sell cattle if the check is over 10,000 from someone we don't know well we generally will verify funds or ask them to wire the money before the cattle leave.

Probably the reason something like this happens is because if it is too hard to establish credit to buy at a barn then the buyer may go somewhere where they don't have to deal with the hassle of wiring money or contacting the bank. I've actually seen some people avoid a barn because it was so much of a pain to get approved to buy there if you didn't have a large credit line backing you.

Latest posts