4-H project. Need help

Help Support CattleToday:

bully54

Reaction score
Like I mentioned in a previous post, I'm looking to purchase a small package from someone (2heifers and 1-bull) to get a small herd started and a 4-h project with my sons. Just wanting to know if anyone knows a person with a wealth of knowledge in doing this maybe from Miss or La or Texas. I live in Miss. I would love to talk to someone who know the ropes of starting off from ground up so to speak. Thanks

Are you looking into getting into registered cattle or commercial? How old are your sons? What breeds do they like?
For a 4-H project, I would suggest talking to your County Extension 4-H or Agricultural agent. Mississippi Extension has a good website:

http://msucares.com/4h_Youth/4hindex.html

You might find this publication (MS Beef Cattle Producer Pocket Guide) helpful: http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p2714.pdf

I don't know how deep your pockets are and to be honest, buying one bull for two cows (heifers) is an expensive way to go. You can buy two top quality registered heifers in the breed of your choice and have them bred AI to a top quality bull. A better proven bull than you may be able to afford to buy.

Good luck and have fun with your sons starting your herd.

Good point on the bull. My sons are 7 and 5. I'm looking at commercial mostly. In my area Angus, Hereford and Brangus cattle do very well. My uncle owns the local sale barn so he is going to help as much as he can.

Good deal. Take your time and get what will fit your program. You still have a year or two until your oldest will be old enough for 4-H.

You're in a different area so no promises but I doubt you'll have a hard time finding help on getting them bred to good bulls if people know it's a kid project. It's kind of a badge of honor out here to drop your business card off with FFA and 4H advisors and then charge just enough so that the kid feels like they paid something. I know I can't help but bend over backwards to make sure they get bred when I know it's the next generation of producers that I'm producing.

Thanks guys. I'm new at this but wanted to get into the business for years. My dad showed Angus years and years ago but sold everything when I was small. Anyway thanks again

Have you decided on a breed? All of the breed associations have good youth programs, some are just better than others. I am familiar with the Santa Gertrudis program. They just had their national junior show in Louisiana a couple of weeks ago.

BC,
I haven't decided yet. I'm going to look into them a little more. I have a good friend with Reg. Herefords and a good friend with Reg. Red Brahmans. They both talk good about their breeds and their breeds Associations with 4-H.

BC":2yed5eh4 said:
Have you decided on a breed? All of the breed associations have good youth programs, some are just better than others. I am familiar with the Santa Gertrudis program. They just had their national junior show in Louisiana a couple of weeks ago.

Just to elaborate on the Santa Gertrudis junior program, during the national heifer show, each class winner will receive a heifer donated by one of the operations in the breed. The class winners get to visit the operations and pick out the heifer that they want, and then get to show it the next year (both in the regular show and in a donated heifer class). I still do not know of another breed that does this. They also have a very generous scholarship program and other leadership retreats that help prepare them as they get older.

I might as well stick my oar in here too. The Red Angus Association has a very active Junior program. You might email them and find out what all they have going for kids.
www.redangus.org

since your kids are 5 an 7 you need a gentle easy to handle breed above all.an by that i dont care what breed you get as long as it meets those 2 things.an they will have to reg if you want your kids to show them.as said alot of breed assocs have great jr programs.

Thanks guys. In your opinions what are some of the best gentle breeds for young kids?

Red Angus and Hereford, but it isn;t as much about what breed as which animal within a breed.

dun":1rfiq3mz said:
Red Angus and Hereford, but it isn;t as much about what breed as which animal within a breed.
Dun is right on about this. Their are gentle cattle in all breeds and nut cases in all breeds. The kid's first calf needs to be gentle more so than a blue ribbon winner.

Also, maybe consider what breeds do well not only in 4-H but what breeds do well in your climate and area. Some hot climate type breeds of cattle tend to have resistance to some hot climate type diseases, which is something else to consider.
I see lots of comments on this forum about S. Gertrudis, brahman etc which do well in warmer climates. The only cattle breeds around here that I know of that are Brahma influenced are Rodeo stock.
No one else raises them. Go with what is well known in your area.
If you brought a herd of brahma,
S. Gertrudis etc influenced type cattle to a sale in our area and ran them through an auction, you probably wouldn't get very much for them. Cattlemen are not familiar with them, and I really don't think they would bring a very good price with the buyers.
Your uncle could give you info as to what kind of cattle are in your area..
Nite Hawk

Being in Mississippi, your 4-H advisor should have a list of possible contacts for information an other advise. Your 4-H advisor and your County Agent would/should be valuable resources. What county are do you reside in?

I'm in Lincoln county. I went to the sale today and noticed the baldies not bringing what the Angus are. Kind of surprised me I guess. Met a few men that were very helpful. I hope to have my land ready in the next month and then I will be ready to start buying.

Do a bit of research and talk to different breeders. Be careful what bloodline / family you buy, no matter what breed, as sometimes there is genetic problems with some lines and some lines can be "hotter" than others.
In our area there is both the older style angus and a more modern style, with the older style being more rounded in shape, and the newer, slightly more angular.
Some of the old style angus in our area are "hot" and can be quite aggressive, knocking over fences and not uncommonly charging. That has been tolerated with some breeders because in some areas they are thrown out on the range and usually don't see people until fall and they have to fight off wolves, bears etc to survive, and the ranchers don't want docil animals.
The other breeders have more of a pasture based management and have tried to breed that out, and their animals are much more calm and managable. So know what line you are going to buy, and maybe take a more experianced persom with you to pick out your animals.
Nite Hawk

The newer

Latest posts