4-H Dairy Project

Help Support CattleToday:

Thankx for the tips, chippie. There's no fetlock hair to be trimmed on her legs. Mainly I tidied up the few long hairs around her udder and under belly, and her tail. I doubt these bands will hold more than a day or two, I might look at squaring off her tail switch. Wonder if I should do the same for April, the calf.
No black hoof polish for the Jerseys? Good think I hadn't bought it yet. What about clear?

I am in the process of rebuilding the County horse judging team, this was year 2. It was my passion,focus,drive. I competed in Regionals in 4-H, the first team Nevada has ever sent to the Denver Stock Show (an experience I'll never forget), and National Horse Judging and Dairy Judging for FFA. I was EXTREMELY disappointed to discover that County Horse Judging was non existent when DS joined. So now I teach/coach classes and organize the competition. I made sure there was a horse show for the kids this year too, even tho DS ended up not showing. Horses are my passion, and Jerseys are becoming a close second. :D

Good Luck with the phone!

Cool beans! One thing that I like about horses and 4-H is that when the youth ages out, he or she can still be active at shows and other events with their horses. It isn't like so many kids who show cattle that just hang up their boots when graduate high school. Two of our daughters took their horses to college with them. We have 5 kids, 4 showed horses in
4-H, 4 judged and all 5 showed livestock projects (scramble heifers, steers, goats, lambs, poultry and pigs).

No hoof polish for cattle. Cattle are shown with clean hooves, no oil, no nothing.

NV they put my daughter also in with the breds because there was just her in the dairy class. Just figured it was better to just show like she was at a dairy show. I was told about one girl that showed dairy in 4-H for years but got beat by another showman beacause he wore the white pants and shirt where she did not.

Hope it all goes well for you and your son.

I know I still have so much to learn.

Went to the new clubs meeting tonight.
Hubby and I had a belt buckle made for her since she won both the dairy breed and showmanship class. There was no sponsor for this class.
Well she got it presented to her tonight!
She loved it!

It's been a busy few weeks. DS did great with the cow calf pair at fair. He had a hard time being "different" tho, as they always set him and his cow apart from the beef breeds. He took a bit to let it sink in that he wasn't LAST, he was being set off for a different class within the class. He took home a few blues, and Two reserves! He had fun and we were the most popular stall in the barn, he loved that part.

NVJersey":18vp7mal said:
It's been a busy few weeks. DS did great with the cow calf pair at fair. He had a hard time being "different" tho, as they always set him and his cow apart from the beef breeds. He took a bit to let it sink in that he wasn't LAST, he was being set off for a different class within the class. He took home a few blues, and Two reserves! He had fun and we were the most popular stall in the barn, he loved that part.

Awesome! Please tell him Congratulations. I'm happy that he had a good experience.

I can't find pics of DS showing, maybe I took all video, but here are some pics of our stall.

2012_0906regionals4-HFairCows0158_zpse9d6c500.jpg

2012_0906regionals4-HFairCows0159_zps71627a28.jpg

2012_0906regionals4-HFairCows0160_zps4afe6f5a.jpg

and youngest DS was going to show Sunny Belle in the PeeWee 4-H class, but at the last minute we were told the rules don't allow the little guys to show cattle. Makes sense...but he was so excited to show off our puppy dog of Jersey! So he showed a chicken instead, lol.

2012_0906regionals4-HFairCows0177_zpsa60b4323.jpg

Latest posts