• Four

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Three

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
It depends on your feeding program
I would recommend feeding alfalfa if you want to feed 4 calves

Here's the lil heifer..
Shown with Bessie's other 2 for size comparison. Shes a bawling calf. Hopefully the light bulb comes on and she discovers where the milk is. I usually get calves with a dry umbilical. This one was just too good a deal. Bessie is interested..
20220219_154607.jpg
The black bull calf already got his nose in the feed. He weighs 150.
Not even sure I wanna try him on the cow. I'm watching them. And watching this thread.
20220219_164639.jpg20220219_164646.jpg

I would say three and you should probably get that wet naval calf hooked to a spigot sooner than later.
No wet navels?
Do u see something I don't?
If you mean the one standing behind the cow.... that's Bessie's daughter. She nurses well. Just very petite!

Sorry guys. I should've said the red/blonde calf is the newly purchased heifer calf.

Last edited:
Ok.
Little black 150lb steer is eating feed well. Not even gonna try him. He will go out with my other lil feeder fishies...

Red can't seem to stop bawling long enough to try a teat! I'm gonna see how she does with feed and hay b4 I try and man handle her on a teat.

So we will not be trying 4!

Thanks for playing along guys and gals!

No wet navels?
Do u see something I don't?
If you mean the one standing behind the cow.... that's Bessie's daughter. She nurses well. Just very petite!

Sorry guys. I should've said the red/blonde calf is the newly purchased heifer calf.
You said you usually get calves with a dry naval but couldn't pass this one up……….

I am on the wagon of if you really like this cow and want her long term on your farm, I don't think trying to add more calves every year is a good idea. Put one extra on her and don't milk her to death. I don't think she is full jersey so milk production is not over the top.

Latest posts