4-H Dairy Project

Help Support CattleToday:

You are NOT aware of the fact that girl did not OWN that heifer, she was just showing it for the owner!
Hmm.

Also this thread is about my daughters 4-H project so go back to causing trouble on the Breeds Board.

The owner of that hereford needs to take donations for feed. Just as topics in general conversation go estray, so has your topic.

I luv herfrds, ignore him. He is a classic troll.

2qwohmv.gif

I see you had to do some research on grammalouges, Chippie?

If I'm a troll, and my cattle sense literally dwarfs yours'...what's that make you?

I'm still wondering how you were able to have a live calf out of a little ol jersey cow bred brahman?? I hear they throw huuuuge calves... :lol:

Massey135":xez4f3zz said:
I see you had to do some research on grammalouges, Chippie?

If I'm a troll, and my cattle sense literally dwarfs yours'...what's that make you?

I'm still wondering how you were able to have a live calf out of a little ol jersey cow bred brahman?? I hear they throw huuuuge calves... :lol:
Massey as usual your full of shyt again. Amazes me how you own one breed (use to have another breed that was given to you) yet you know everything about every breed....Jersey's are easy calvers....red brangus typically are low BW (without checking papers which few have). I can show you an entire herd of beautiful red jersey/brahman cattle....and people begging the man to sell them..

I'd love to have some. If you'll notice I commented on her Brahma/jersey cow.

I know enough about cattle to know jersey have the smallest pelvic area of any modern breed. As low of bw as Jerseys have, they're only half the equation. Again, with all this talk about huge brahman bws, I'm still in amazement she was able to have a live calf. Must have been a phenomenon :roll:

Where did you get off rambling bout red brangus?

chippie":2s7dztin said:
Look like someone needs to take up a donation for Massey to feed his cattle too.

392832_2687959408399_994095065_n.jpg

Lol those are yr old heifers in early December last yr after the worst summer drought in decades. I dam sure wouldn't be takin them to a show.

massy dose not know a thing about Jersey cows and calving ease, Jerseys have very large pelvics for their size,and have very few problems calving most Jerseys anymore weigh 1000 to 1200lbs also this one weighed 1070 when I bought her almost 2 years ago,
i lov herfrds your daughter did a great job showing her heifer,and needs a great big hug for it
Suzanne
newgirl2.jpg

I was part of a study once where we bred jerseys and holstiens to different breeds and recorded the calving ease. Jerseys crank them out and that's all there is to it. :D We finally put holstien embroys into jerseys and jersey embroys into holstiens and got similar results.
ILH, sorry for my part in the degredation of your thread. I'm happy for your daughter. :D

Massey135":1bkmarzo said:
I'd love to have some. If you'll notice I commented on her Brahma/jersey cow.

I know enough about cattle to know jersey have the smallest pelvic area of any modern breed. As low of bw as Jerseys have, they're only half the equation. Again, with all this talk about huge brahman bws, I'm still in amazement she was able to have a live calf. Must have been a phenomenon :roll:

Where did you get off rambling bout red brangus?
Typo.....meant Brahman....crossed with jerseys...awesome cattle...long, slender, fast growing and those little jerseys spit'em out like watermelon seed. It is a phenomenon...an awesome phenomenon. Ought to see a pasture full of them. The make those short horns look like red healer dogs. :mrgreen:

Massey135":1mpyggk3 said:

Here's a pic of those two the first week of Aug. They turned out nicely. Both due Oct 15th.
Sorry stud duck...those are not the same cows....not even photoshop will make that many changes.

Hey Massey get the h*ll off my thread!!!

Did NOT ask YOUR opinion and everything was fine until your ignorant butt came into an issue you proved once again that you know nothing about.

As for the owners they are what the Canadian I met called show jockeys. Do you really think they were going to give this girl a "good" one to beat their daughter?

Shows YOU KNOW NOTHING YOU TROLL!

Now get off my Thread!

Yeah MY thread you pos pita!
I started it.

Guess you can't read and YOU are the one that changed the subject NOT everyone else who was posting on it you trouble making TROLL!
Just shows everyone you need to pull your pants up because you are showing your azz again!

I luv herfrds":ydgrplgb said:
NV the judge we had also judged dairy in the past. At the judges meeting my daughter asked him about the clothing and the walking backwards. He told her yes she had to wear white and walk backwards. The judge was impressed with her going to do all those little details.

Found a video on youtube that showed we should have clipped her at least 3 weeks before but since we did not know this until 2 days before the fair we just left her alone.

Now my daughter had signed up for a dairy project at the start of the 4-H year. Did your son do that too?

He signed up for Dairy at the very beginning of the 4-H year (October). He signed up last year, but our deal on the Dexter cow fell through.
I'm gonna clip Sunny up tonight, I knew to clip before the show from my years of horse shows. Gotta give that trimmed hair time to blend in and make sure it lays down nicely. She'll only need a little bit, like her tail, a few long hairs on her belly. She'll get her legs and hooves cleaned up again the day before the show, and hopefully spot cleaning will be a minimum the morning of.

Our show day (Friday the 31st) will start with the cow classes at 7:30. He's entered in 3.
We're mixed in with the Beef classes because they won't make a new class without a minimum of 3 participants. So either he'll be judged Dairy just mixed in with the Beef heifers/calves and ribbon accordingly or he'll take the bottom of the class due to being Dairy but he'll get the show experience. Doesn't really matter, Sunny is such a sweetheart that he'll get good experience and can show an onery Beef heifer next year (Black angus and Hereford rule the pen there, with the occasional Charolais). He won't be using a show stick.
I'm gonna braid her tail swatch tonight and bag it up to stay clean for show day. Then just a little spray and teasing and it'll be Beau-ti-ful!
Poultry and Rabbit classes start at 8 am the same day, so we'll jumping from ring to ring, class to class, species to species. No time to change, so he'll be in regular Official 4-H dress. New blue jeans, white shirt, 4-H tie. So be it.
I'll look for white jeans as a just in case, but thus far they were a suggestion ("If you go on to show in bigger venues he'll need the white pants. It would be neat to see here if you can find them") The walking backwards and getting her to walk slow (hesitate between steps) he's been practicing. We'll see how that goes on show day with lil April!

chippie":2aw1qiw6 said:
I luv herfrds":2aw1qiw6 said:
NVJersey said:

... Son is going to use her for the Beef (ie cattle) Showmanship...

To me, that would mean that he would be showing the heifer as if she were a beef breed.

He's in the Beef showmanship class because we don't have a Dairy showmanship class. They aren't just called "cattle classes" here they are "Beef Classes". Because Beef has been the only type of Cattle shown around here in a LOOONNNNGGG time.
DS will be showing her as a Dairy cow, just entered in the Beef class because that's what we have.

Tell your DD congrats on her show success!! And what a darling lil calf she has! :clap: :clap: We don't do pre-ring interviews at our fair/livestock show. Way to go on your DD acing hers!!

DS MAY get asked a few questions IN the showmanship ring, so we are prepping for that. He will with the small animals' showmanship (poultry and rabbit).

I luv herfrds":1ltniajz said:
Found out that since no one has done dairy for so long there was no sponsor for a belt buckle or trophy. Talked to a friend of mine and she suggested that we just have one made up for her for this year. Looking at sponsoring a dairy buckle each year. Hope that gets more kids interested in dairy.

We had the same issue with sponsors the first year the horse judging got back on its feet. Boy has it grown sense! Good luck with your 4-H County's Dairy cow growth next year!

We show horses also (aqha & apha).
Don't clip the legs like a horse, especially around the top of the hoof. You don't want her switch too full. You can bang yhe bottom to square it off. Do not put any hoof polish on her hooves. Sorry this post is chopped up. I'm using (fighting) a phone.

I coach our county's horse judging team. Judging is a great thing.

Latest posts