Talking with the judge
IMG_9242.jpg

IMG_9246.jpg

Got her ribbon
IMG_9248.jpg

Picture time
IMG_9249.jpg

Yes she did.

She has decided she likes showing dairy and wants to try a steer next year.
She is tired of the lambs and has asked to drop them. I told her ok just as long as she finishes her book on them.

running.gif

Awesome! So happy for your daughter. Her hard work paid off. Please tell her Congratulations!

And congrats to you too. She couldn't have done it without you : )

PS. :heart: her heifer!

Found out that since no one has done dairy for so long there was no sponsor for a belt buckle or trophy. Talked to a friend of mine and she suggested that we just have one made up for her for this year. Looking at sponsoring a dairy buckle each year. Hope that gets more kids interested in dairy.

I luv herfrds, we were told about the all white for dairy showing too. Not sure if I can convince my almost 11 "too cool" son to wear em IF I do find em!!

April is doing much better haltering, leading and standing tied. She's learned that haltering and leading equal going out in the yard to graze, so she's much more willing. Son is going to use her for the Beef (ie cattle) Showmanship, so he's been practicing in our bottom pasture.
She had her first bath today and did amazing!!
Doing searches on how to "fit" momma for showing...Doesn't look like we have to shave her udder or body in any special way..Should we fluff up her tail?? The cattle classes are all new to me, I was a horse showman. I get the gist of it, it's the little details. And not having had Dairy classes in our area in years no one remembers. I did hear that the cattle judge is coming down from Idaho and she knows dairy, so I'm trying to make sure WE know what's going on. =)

NVJersey":1xakbphi said:
I luv herfrds, we were told about the all white for dairy showing too. Not sure if I can convince my almost 11 "too cool" son to wear em IF I do find em!!

April is doing much better haltering, leading and standing tied. She's learned that haltering and leading equal going out in the yard to graze, so she's much more willing. Son is going to use her for the Beef (ie cattle) Showmanship, so he's been practicing in our bottom pasture.
She had her first bath today and did amazing!!
Doing searches on how to "fit" momma for showing...Doesn't look like we have to shave her udder or body in any special way..Should we fluff up her tail?? The cattle classes are all new to me, I was a horse showman. I get the gist of it, it's the little details. And not having had Dairy classes in our area in years no one remembers. I did hear that the cattle judge is coming down from Idaho and she knows dairy, so I'm trying to make sure WE know what's going on. =)

It isn't a matter of "convincing" your son to wear them. You just tell him that he has to wear the white to show the heifer. Dressing properly is part of the game.

Google white boy's pants and you will come up with a lot of sources.

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/kids...59&deptId=cat100260020&selectedLotId=4211185&

You do clip heifers. When our daughter was showing, we clipped the head and neck, and any long stray hairs on the belly, inside the back legs and tail (except the switch.) You want to show off the udder area. The heifer should be neat in appearance.

Here are three good publications that are helpful about fitting for show.

http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p1759.htm

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/4h/4-h1116.pdf

http://www.holsteinfoundation.org/pdf_doc/workbooks/Showring_Ready_Workbook.pdf

Good luck!

Chippie-"Dressing properly is part of the game."
At the very least he will be in official 4-H dress, the same as everyone else showing at fair. As far as we know we will be the only Dairy project, no separate dairy classes, he'll be in with the beef heifers. Basically he'll be exhibitioning, there will be no fair premiums paid on any ribbons he wins with his heifer or calf. But it's the experience that counts. =)

Thankx for the links!
She's nicely slicked out, and smelling wonderful after her bath yesterday. And then it rained. I jinxed myself, just like washing the car with any hint of clouds on the horizon. Oh well, we need the water. She'll get another bath the day before her class regardless.

You are right about the experience is what counts. I have always told our kids and the members of our 4-H club, that getting to do something with your animal and being with your friends is what counts. A ribbon is just the icing on the cake.

If you can find the white pants, I would say go for it. He would be dressed appropriately for his breed and that is important.

Another tip is only rinse her with water. Don't use soap until show day. You want her to keep the oil in her hair coat so that she will shine. Sham Wow or Sham Wow knock off cloths are excellent for rubbing one down after brushing. It will pick up any dirt or dust and will bring out the shine. You can spray it with a bit of Pepi or Ultra Final Touch finishing spray
http://www.sstack.com/finishing-spray/u ... ing-spray/ and wipe her down. Use it sparingly. It is great for short haired breeds.

Good luck and have fun!

NV the judge we had also judged dairy in the past. At the judges meeting my daughter asked him about the clothing and the walking backwards. He told her yes she had to wear white and walk backwards. The judge was impressed with her going to do all those little details.

Found a video on youtube that showed we should have clipped her at least 3 weeks before but since we did not know this until 2 days before the fair we just left her alone.

Now my daughter had signed up for a dairy project at the start of the 4-H year. Did your son do that too?

You couldn't pay me to wear all white. It's cute on the little girl but don't humiliate your son by making him wear something he doesn't feel comfortable in just bc someone else deems it 'appropriate'. It's all about your son, let him do it his way. His calf. His clothes. His ribbon.

when i showed dairy cattle you wore a white shirt an black jeans.an that was your showattire.an theyve lead the dairy cattle backwards for longer than 40yrs.

I reread NV's original thread.
am I correct that your son is using the dairy heifer in a beef showmanship class? If he is doing that, he will need to show and set up her as if she were a beef breed. Beef use a show stick - Dairy do not.
Did you check with the show officials to see if that is allowed?

Massey you started trouble on another thread so don't start it here.

1. White pants white shirt are required for showing dairy. Not a suggestion.

chippie they put my daughter in with the bred heifers since she was the only dairy in that class.

I luv herfrds":38r83lgd said:
Massey you started trouble on another thread so don't start it here.

1. White pants white shirt are required for showing dairy. Not a suggestion.

chippie they put my daughter in with the bred heifers since she was the only dairy in that class.

I wasn't referring to your daughter. She did what was right.

NVJersey said:

... Son is going to use her for the Beef (ie cattle) Showmanship...

To me, that would mean that he would be showing the heifer as if she were a beef breed.

I know that chippie. I was just telling NV what they did here with my daughter. I agree. If the heifer is going to used in the Beef Showmanship she needs to be set just like the beef. Then he would be wearing the white shirt black pants.

Massey take your trouble making comments elsewhere. You do not know what was going on.

I don't need to know what was going on to see that someone was exhibiting a bred heifer in a bcs of 3. Either they can't afford the feed, and someone should help them out, or they just have no idea what they're doing.

Latest posts