4-H Dairy Project

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Daughter decided to do dairy this year in 4-H.
I know very little except what everyone on here has taught me. Not too sure exactly how much help I will be to her as her Project Helper. Tried with the sheep and the books did not explain enough for me to understand it.
Our leader forgot to order my helper book so I'm out in the wind right now.

Ok. She has my Jersey's calf from last year. (Bugger is going nuts tonight one of our first year heifers calved near her and she is trying to get over the fence.) Not bred yet.
Yearling has an attitude so I am concerned there. Going to breed her for the fair.

Any suggestions? Pointers? Ideas? Whiskey? ;-)

I luv herfrds":97zxb3mj said:
Daughter decided to do dairy this year in 4-H.
I know very little except what everyone on here has taught me. Not too sure exactly how much help I will be to her as her Project Helper. Tried with the sheep and the books did not explain enough for me to understand it.
Our leader forgot to order my helper book so I'm out in the wind right now.

Ok. She has my Jersey's calf from last year. (Bugger is going nuts tonight one of our first year heifers calved near her and she is trying to get over the fence.) Not bred yet.
Yearling has an attitude so I am concerned there. Going to breed her for the fair.

Any suggestions? Pointers? Ideas? Whiskey? ;-)
ok take a deep breathe an tell me what is your daughters 4H dairy project.is she going to show your last years calf or what.ive raised 2 dairy heifers for my neices an nephews that they showed in a dairy show an sale.

She is showing a bred heifer BB.
Our vets daughter is not showing any beef animals and is giving daughter all her halters.

Ok what is the first step?
We have a halter on this heifer. Daughter is not allowed near her while she is in heat because she bulled on me once.
How are they shown? Are they just allowed to stand naturally or are they set up?
clipped at all or just left naturally?

Just going to say one thing and I know nothing about showing, maybe know a bit about dairy.

For this heifer, discipline will be the make or break. At every step while she's being worked with she needs to know who's boss. It's the same principle as training a dog.
I don't recall if she was in heat when she jumped on you but it's as well to remember that mounting is dominance behaviour, get some discipline into her head and she won't do that.

ok your 1st step is put a rope halter on her.an tie her to a snubbing post for an hour or so.do not tie her close if she fights real bad an goes down it would be bad.thats how id break all of my calves to lead.now unless things has changed you need a black leather show halter for the show.if the heifer is reg she needs tobe transferred over into your DDs name an she will show her as a jr member.

Ok. Got an old hemp rope halter but I don't want to break it so going to get the ones from the vets daughter. She has both rope and black leather halters.

she is not registered.

I luv herfrds":18hdux2d said:
Ok. Got an old hemp rope halter but I don't want to break it so going to get the ones from the vets daughter. She has both rope and black leather halters.

she is not registered.
the black leather halter is the 1 she will use in the showring.since yall have horses im sure you have combs an brushes to groom the heifer.now for your DDs ring attire,again unless the rules have changed she will need a white shirt an black jeans.an you do not use a show stick with dairy cattle thats not allowed.while the heifer is tied have your dd to stay out there with her an talk to her.an get her used tobeing around her.

Ok.
Yes it is still white shirt, black pants and cowboy boots up here.

No show stick. Gotcha ya! I know when she shows the beef steer in a couple years she will use the show stick.
So it will be a natural stantance for the dairy instead of the set up like for the beef?
Will she need the comb in the back pocket just like the beef? I know for lambs she has to have a rag in her back pocket.

I luv herfrds":icpgijyz said:
Ok.
Yes it is still white shirt, black pants and cowboy boots up here.

No show stick. Gotcha ya! I know when she shows the beef steer in a couple years she will use the show stick.
So it will be a natural stantance for the dairy instead of the set up like for the beef?
Will she need the comb in the back pocket just like the beef? I know for lambs she has to have a rag in her back pocket.
to answer something that i forgot to earlier,the heifer will have tobe clipped the day or 2 before the show.her 4H leader or ag teacher should know how to clipp her for the show.now yall will have to give a bath the nite before the show.an put her in a nice clean place so she wont get dirty.an prolly spot bath her the morning of the show.an have her feet trimmed before the show.but do it a month before in case she gets sore footed.or trimmed if they need it.no comb is allowed in the hipp pocket.you can usually make her set up correctly by stepping on her front toe thus making her step back.its been 40yrs since ive broke my 1st calf to lead an show,so i mayve forgotten somethings.oh yeah an heres a feeding tip.feed her 1/2 oats in with her other feed.that will make her hair nice an slick.

Bigbull it has been over 20 YEARS since anyone has shown a dairy cow in our 4-H in the entire county. Nobody remembers what the rules are or what needs to be done. I'm waiting for my helper book.
Our leader has no dairy experience either. If any other kids decide to do any dairy guess who the leader for that will be? ME!
I'm panicing a bit so ignore me when I do that. :lol2: :lol2:

Her feet look good but I will look for a trimmer. Not too many around here.
We have clippers.

well i can help you some with what i know.its going tobe rough since yall havent had a dairy class in the show for 20yrs.an i had a feeling you would be the 1 to help the kids with their heifers.when is your show.

Are you serious about the foot trimming? Seems to me like it could do more harm than good at that age.

Show is not til August so we have a bit of time.

Going to be a busy year year. Lamb, dairy and rabbit.

Alot of kids in other clubs are getting into goats and dairy goats so if any kids in our county go dairy goats...................... Only dairy leader. Guess I got a lot to learn.

You might find these links helpful.

http://www.hoards.com/youthresources

http://www.hoards.com/bookstore/LEAD

The April 10, 2012 issue of Hoard's Dairyman has an article on page 258 - Snow whites and halters: What you need to do during showmanship

I have shown beef and dairy cattle. The dairy cattle can be exciting, especially when the whole class of Jersey heifers decide to lay down at the same time. :lol2:

I found these online. Right from the Start - Dairy Cattle

Part 1

[youtube]4CZl5gsOzls[/youtube]

Part 2

[youtube]bwSP-9YqCyQ[/youtube]

Latest posts