3 week old calve still cant stand with back legs

Help Support CattleToday:

chance hood

Reaction score
3 weeks old and hasnt been able to get up with his back legs anyone got any ideas. vets around my area not very helpfull i never seen anything like it or the local farmers. He can try to move them kinda but cant get them bent to get up under itsself it is a fairly large calve for bein new it can suck the cow just kinda sits up on front legs. I have been giving it vitamin d gave it penisilun and thymin and even some stem enhancment i use on horses lol dont really know what else to do so if anyone has any ideas please let me know thank you chance hood

My father-in-law had a calf similar to this a few years back. His calf's hind legs barely touched the ground so he walked on his forelegs 99 percent and his back legs would kick wildly. Craig was hoping extra weight as the calf aged would weigh down his hind end and he'd be able to walk better. However, it didn't happen and he ended up dying. Sorry to say, calf is a gonner.

probably for the best. You would have wound up spending so much time and money on her - is it worth it? Was she in pain? That would have also made the decision easier as well.

As depressing as it seems, a bullet would probably be the best solution

Latest posts