3 point hay spear

Help Support CattleToday:

tnwalkingred

Reaction score
All,

I have a 3 point hay spear and no matter what I do it's impossible to spear a bale without it being up against something to hold it in place. It's got a big round main spear and I was wondering if getting a smaller one like is built on the new FEL spears would help?

Kyle

Bales are either really tight or really light. Can you adjust your toplink so the big spike is pointed down a bit for a little pressure?

J&D Cattle":12lwkmu5 said:
Bales are either really tight or really light. Can you adjust your toplink so the big spike is pointed down a bit for a little pressure?
I had one of those fat spikes on the front of an international 460. I bought one load of hay that I had to set the bale on the ground on end and stick the spike against the end and raise the front of the tractor just to get it in around half way. COws had a devil of a time breaking the bales enough to eat it, but it sure lasted a long time.

tnwalkingred":319ybbnm said:
All,

I have a 3 point hay spear and no matter what I do it's impossible to spear a bale without it being up against something to hold it in place. It's got a big round main spear and I was wondering if getting a smaller one like is built on the new FEL spears would help?

Kyle

Could the bale be too tight?

Ask your local dealer to let you try a new and different model for a few days - but be prepared to buy it if it works. If I was the dealer I would go for that arrangement and so would many others

I broke mine yesterday - I have two spikes on the bottom and one up a bit in the middle. Was carrying three stacked 8 foot 3x3 squares and the left tine broke the bracket it sits in - off to the welders today for a fix.

Cheers

Bez

dun":3tghyij6 said:
J&D Cattle":3tghyij6 said:
I had one of those fat spikes on the front of an international 460. I bought one load of hay that I had to set the bale on the ground on end and stick the spike against the end and raise the front of the tractor just to get it in around half way. COws had a devil of a time breaking the bales enough to eat it, but it sure lasted a long time.

That would be a heck of a tight bale. Uncle got 4X5's last year that have a lot more hay than the 4X5.5's he normally gets. I noticed the difference spearing them and hauling a load with the truck.

What part of the bale are your spearing? The center is the hardest. Try sticking it about 8-10 inches above center if you're not already doing it.

TexasBred":nqqtx1b8 said:
What part of the bale are your spearing? The center is the hardest. Try sticking it about 8-10 inches above center if you're not already doing it.

My wife found out that trying to spear directly in the center was not a good idea and kept wondering how i can do it with ease and told her I spear below cause the center as tb said. I just happen to spear below or you could get rid of the spear and get the bale lift that looks like forklift blades I don't know what the technical name of it is.

I've had the same problem with soft core 4x4 bales. My spear isn't all that large in diameter, no more than 1.5", so that's not the issue. It's the way the soft core balers roll the hay, makes it a PITA to work with light bales. The best solution I've found is to hit them faster.

I've tried pointing the spear down and up both to get different pressure points with no luck. I've tried hitting it fast and slow, in the center, the top, and the bottom to no avail. Maybe the bales are too tight but they are the only way we know how to make them around here. I talked to another cattle man and he stared that he puts one down behind it with the FEL and uses it as a scotch to spear the one with the 3 point hitch. I think I may try a more slender spear to see if that helps.

Kyle

I converted one on a FEL to two long spears mainly for handling the green bales for wrapping. I like it much better. I spear the bales well below center and they don't try to roll over, especially when unloading the flatbed trailer.