2022 babies

Help Support CattleToday:

Usually nothing is purely genetic nor purely environmental, it's an interaction of the two.

I think this was the calf that had a bit of an overbite, nothing drastic, but enough I noticed it
View attachment 14077

Don't know....could be a little underdeveloped front lip...don't think it's an underbite..... neither parents or her were exposed to pesticides. In any event she is what she is....she'll grown into her lips and bite...if not she'll hit the sales barn. Health eater she is (now)...we'll check her weight and condition at 6 months...to determine her future.
The calf's upper lip looks normal. It is the premaxillary bone that looks underdeveloped. She does not appear to have a severe enough underbite to affect suckling, however, even a slight underbite can seriously affects the ability to bite off foliage when the animal begins eating grass. You do know, don't you that hundreds of pesticides fall on the foliage in rain and snow and into the surface water everywhere. And of course they are in the air everywhere. The white-tailed deer tested in Minnesota in forested areas far from farm fields had higher levels of Imidacloprid in their spleens than the white-tailed deer deliberately given Imidacloprid in the water they drank in a study done in SD that received international attention. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-40994-9 The fawns born with underbite or overbite and those that died soon after birth had higher levels of Imidacloprid in their spleens than the normal fawns. If all domestic animals born with underbite or overbite were reported to the Agricultural Department, maybe something would be done about the Imidacloprid.

The calf's upper lip looks normal. It is the premaxillary bone that looks underdeveloped. She does not appear to have a severe enough underbite to affect suckling, however, even a slight underbite can seriously affects the ability to bite off foliage when the animal begins eating grass. You do know, don't you that hundreds of pesticides fall on the foliage in rain and snow and into the surface water everywhere. And of course they are in the air everywhere. The white-tailed deer tested in Minnesota in forested areas far from farm fields had higher levels of Imidacloprid in their spleens than the white-tailed deer deliberately given Imidacloprid in the water they drank in a study done in SD that received international attention. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-40994-9 The fawns born with underbite or overbite and those that died soon after birth had higher levels of Imidacloprid in their spleens than the normal fawns. If all domestic animals born with underbite or overbite were reported to the Agricultural Department, maybe something would be done about the Imidacloprid.
Interesting facts, maybe we can get NCRS can get involved...we'll see how she does....As Rudolph would say below...what's wrong with my lips?

Attachments

• SDC16865.JPG
    SDC16865.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
70 degrees on Friday, 24 degrees and 2 inches of snow this am . Of course we had 2 new ones born this morning . (Pictures later ) Plus another one of my daughter's cows calved Thursday . I tagged it with an Orange tag . Yesterday I see an untagged calf nursing her. Think we have twins ?11D74306-14B1-4C4D-808F-D851F3314AFF.jpeg

E17E4ACD-CB83-4E24-ACD5-94AC38B3E4CF.jpeg
My oldest momma dropped a good bull calf this am . She is an 09 momma that I bought from Gizmom. She was looking a little thin so I've been giving her a little extra attention. I noticed last week she was bagging up , but she surprised me calving this soon . She is on my list to cull this year but she'll get a reprieve from the sale barn till she raises this guy .

Tagged 5 yesterday. Some grumbling and growling but not of the new mothers were really bad. When I fed today I see there is another new one on the ground. One bred cow we had to deal with was the real deal for bad. The good news is I see today that she is bagging up and getting loose. I am thinking that her calf will have to wait until branding to get tagged.

Tagged 5 yesterday. Some grumbling and growling but not of the new mothers were really bad. When I fed today I see there is another new one on the ground. One bred cow we had to deal with was the real deal for bad. The good news is I see today that she is bagging up and getting loose. I am thinking that her calf will have to wait until branding to get tagged.
At our age Dave if there is any doubt it is not worth the hassle.

Ken

At our age Dave if there is any doubt it is not worth the hassle.

Ken
I have some real deal cowboys for neighbors. They do a real good job of taking care of me and any snotty cows I happen to have. I am mostly the manager type. I feed them. Keep an eye on things. Go to the sale and buy for them and me. I know when to stay in the truck or on the right side of the fence.

View attachment 14309
Two born in the snow yesterday morning that I mentioned in an earlier post . Son thinks he had 2 more born this am . By the way a low of 18 this am in the sunny south! 😎
How are these two doing? Good I hope. My fear as a newbie is how I'll take care of a calf born in the cold. We are past the worst Temps for N Louisiana, but you never know.

How are these two doing? Good I hope. My fear as a newbie is how I'll take care of a calf born in the cold. We are past the worst Temps for N Louisiana, but you never know.
I had one born last week that had frost on its hair when I first saw it in the morning. If memory serves me right it was 12 degrees that morning. That calf is doing fine. Lots of calves get born here with a little snow on the ground.

05FB7496-0FBD-42A0-A402-7F09BFFEBCCF.jpeg
Glad to see this one today , this momma had a backwards delivery on her first calf . This is her 3rd baby . A lot of folks would have culled her after her first misfire but I like to give heifers a second chance . 0 milk and bad attitude will get you a ride to the sale barn but not a bad presentation.

View attachment 14356
Twins nursing and an interested onlooker .
U know I LOVE a mama that'll raise more than one! Good for her!
Shes a lifer!
But be prepared. I've heard sometimes they take a few extra weeks to breed back after delivering twins.
View attachment 14358
Glad to see this one today , this momma had a backwards delivery on her first calf . This is her 3rd baby . A lot of folks would have culled her after her first misfire but I like to give heifers a second chance . 0 milk and bad attitude will get you a ride to the sale barn but not a bad presentation.
They say backwards is a "normal" presentation. I've not had good luck with the ones I've worked with. The ones I don't see born tho.... how ya know? Lol

View attachment 14358
My understanding is that they seldom will repeat that type of presentation.

I had one born last week that had frost on its hair when I first saw it in the morning. If memory serves me right it was 12 degrees that morning. That calf is doing fine. Lots of calves get born here with a little snow on the ground.
Good to hear. I don't have a barn yet (cart before the horse thing). I was planning on using corral panels around a loafing shed and a outdoor heater if it came down to needing it.

Latest posts