200 Pounds an acre?

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp":3ueuamum said:
Why would someone apply nitrogen to corn in the fall? Maybe our growing season/conditions are different, but around here it is always applied during the spring/early-mid summer. :?
I've lived my whole life in a farming community in Mn, and my husband was a crop farmer for a long time. I have never heard of it applied in the fall either. I have no idea....

The lower price, the convenience of having it already applied before the busy planting season, less compaction, no chance of burning the plant, the list goes on and on.

angie":nnea2ozl said:
msscamp":nnea2ozl said:
Why would someone apply nitrogen to corn in the fall? Maybe our growing season/conditions are different, but around here it is always applied during the spring/early-mid summer. :?
I've lived my whole life in a farming community in Mn, and my husband was a crop farmer for a long time. I have never heard of it applied in the fall either. I have no idea....
Im not sure what farming community in MN you are living in but they have been applying it in the fall for longer than I have been alive here.

Hold on everyone. Don't get the two things confused.
!. Fall application of NH3 is practiced to spread out the workload for the next season. It is applied to the ground that will be growing corn the following year. It is applied after the soil temperature is below 50 degrees F. This is so that the microbes in the soil will not convert the NH3 to a form that can be leached from the soil. Also in MOST cases the cost of the NH3 is less in the fall and availability of the product and applicators are not as critical as they are in the spring when a lot is put on. And as NH3 is a liquid that converts to gas at air temperature it is injected into the soil to contain it. As a gas it is attracted to moisture therefore it attached to soil moisture and stays where it is applied. Then as the ground warms in the spring it is converted to a form that the corn plant will use.
2. Surface applied N whether liquid or urea are applied during the growing season. In corn fields if applied they need to be incorporated via mechanical or moisture or they will volatilize into the air and not be of use to the growing plants. The same is true in pastures and since mechanical incorporation is not practical in pastures, moisture is used. Unless the temperatures approach 85-90 degrees the the volitalizeing is slow so rain and dew will attach the N to the soil. Therefore most people will apply the surface N as early in the year as the soil begins to warm with the idea that they will hopefully get spring rains to incorporate the N for plant use later in the season.

I know this is not a complete scenario of N application but maybe it will get everyone to thinking and asking more questions. JLP

I believe this to be a cattle board. Not a crop farming board. Many of the people on here do not raise crops.

Somn, why must you allways be so condescending to people. :frowns:

JMichal-You are correct this is about cattle- Grass and feed and I for one do not quit learning just because someone deals with parts of agriculture I am not personally involved in. I saw some confusion about N application so I explained to the best of my knowledge so excuse Me.

Jalopy":1mm86emz said:
JMichal-You are correct this is about cattle- Grass and feed and I for one do not quit learning just because someone deals with parts of agriculture I am not personally involved in. I saw some confusion about N application so I explained to the best of my knowledge so excuse Me.

Sorry sir but my response was directed at Somn who was being an A$$ again when he commented to Dun about being a mentor by posts only. I tried to use quote but there were allready 3 and I couldn't remember how to delete part of it.

Your explanation was great.

SFFarms":3b400acd said:
One of my neighbors asked if i was crazy spreading 200 pounds an acre that i was to spread it only bought 50-75 pounds an acre.

Run soil tests and do what the results say to do. Forget the neighbor.

My tests say to put in 95-0-0 with no minerals needed, on coastal pastures. We usually put a minimum of 300 lbs per acre to get optimum protein. We are now using clover in the winter/spring and seeing results from that.

As far as the lime goes, there are lime plants all around us. We have lime leaching out of the limestone here. If I were to listen to the advice in this thread, I'd be way off the mark. They are buying lime from the plants in my neighborhood who truck it out.

If you are not running soil tests, you have no way of knowing what is needed. No one in this forum does either.

Jalopy":17qy1j1p said:
Hold on everyone. Don't get the two things confused.
!. Fall application of NH3 is practiced to spread out the workload for the next season. It is applied to the ground that will be growing corn the following year. It is applied after the soil temperature is below 50 degrees F. This is so that the microbes in the soil will not convert the NH3 to a form that can be leached from the soil. Also in MOST cases the cost of the NH3 is less in the fall and availability of the product and applicators are not as critical as they are in the spring when a lot is put on. And as NH3 is a liquid that converts to gas at air temperature it is injected into the soil to contain it. As a gas it is attracted to moisture therefore it attached to soil moisture and stays where it is applied. Then as the ground warms in the spring it is converted to a form that the corn plant will use.
2. Surface applied N whether liquid or urea are applied during the growing season. In corn fields if applied they need to be incorporated via mechanical or moisture or they will volatilize into the air and not be of use to the growing plants. The same is true in pastures and since mechanical incorporation is not practical in pastures, moisture is used. Unless the temperatures approach 85-90 degrees the the volitalizeing is slow so rain and dew will attach the N to the soil. Therefore most people will apply the surface N as early in the year as the soil begins to warm with the idea that they will hopefully get spring rains to incorporate the N for plant use later in the season.

I know this is not a complete scenario of N application but maybe it will get everyone to thinking and asking more questions. JLP

A well written explanation. Give the man an A+.

Latest posts