200 Pounds an acre?

Help Support CattleToday:

SFFarms

Reaction score
Last Feburary i bought 5 tons of liquid nitrogen from my local cooperative, and spreaded it on about 40 acres at 200 pounds per acre.

One of my neighbors asked if i was crazy spreading 200 pounds an acre that i was to spread it only bought 50-75 pounds an acre. The guy at our cooperative said 200 pounds was good and this was first time i ever sprayed liquid nitrogen so i really didnt know.

Was that way to much? I didnt kill the grass but did cause small yellow spots every once in a while across pasture.

Will this hurt my grass in the long run? i know i need to spread lime this fall

Thanks for any help or critisim to help me out. :help:

The neighbor may be misinterpreting your 200 lbs per acre as 200 lbs of N per acre. And yes, if you do that, I do believe you would be crazy!!

But you liquid nitrogen was more than likely 28% nitrogen like John said. 70 lbs of N per acre should be pretty good.

SFFarms":kg2qstyd said:
Last Feburary i bought 5 tons of liquid nitrogen from my local cooperative, and spreaded it on about 40 acres at 200 pounds per acre.

One of my neighbors asked if i was crazy spreading 200 pounds an acre that i was to spread it only bought 50-75 pounds an acre. The guy at our cooperative said 200 pounds was good and this was first time i ever sprayed liquid nitrogen so i really didnt know.

Was that way to much? I didnt kill the grass but did cause small yellow spots every once in a while across pasture.

Will this hurt my grass in the long run? i know i need to spread lime this fall

Thanks for any help or critisim to help me out. :help:
sound's like a waste. of N, not to mention money. N makes the soil acidic you will need to lime for sure. soil sample, don't guess..

sound's like a waste. of N, not to mention money. N makes the soil acidic you will need to lime for sure. soil sample, don't guess..

Well, this was my first year taking a soil sample and i got the results back from the extension and all it said was i needed nitrogen and of course lime in the fall. I bought liquid nitrogen simply because it was the cheapest thing going at the time. My father usually spreads triple 17 fertlizer about every other year and we recently found out last year we where wasting money so we took a soil sample and that was what we got.
Only thing i know what would be cheaper would be chicken litter but you usually get your load of weeds with it.
I would be greatful if there is any otherway to get the grass go! Any suggestions be much appreachiated!

Thanks,

SF-Farms

SFFarms":yfir4yi0 said:

Well, this was my first year taking a soil sample and i got the results back from the extension and all it said was i needed nitrogen and of course lime in the fall. I bought liquid nitrogen simply because it was the cheapest thing going at the time. My father usually spreads triple 17 fertlizer about every other year and we recently found out last year we where wasting money so we took a soil sample and that was what we got.
Only thing i know what would be cheaper would be chicken litter but you usually get your load of weeds with it.
I would be greatful if there is any otherway to get the grass go! Any suggestions be much appreachiated!

Thanks,

SF-Farms
you hear that tale all the time.. chicken litter is so potent it will grow grass on a rock .if you got access to some thats the best way to go... wish i could, dont let the weed issue deter you.. most of those weed and seeds were already in you pasture.plus a spray rig is money well spent

19% liquid N is by far the most cost effective formulation available here where I am. 200 lb of 19% would only be 38 units/ac. Not enough. You need 60 units for dry land. Unless you get no rain at all like myself. In which case it's all out the window.

Go with the chicken litter is is the best bang for your buck... I get it free, so i am biased..LOL

I spread 2 tons/acre every january and my dad has for 16 years never had any weed trouble.... all it does is make our stand of grass thicker, greener, and it grows like crazy!!! :cowboy:

SFFarms Well said:
You did what the soil test called for. 60 units of N is not going to hurt your grass. You may get some temporary burning using the liquid fertilizer, but with some rain it will outgrow that.

The reason your soil test did not require phosporus is because your father has been using 17-17-17 for years and built the phosphorus level up. The same thing will happen if you use chicken litter for several years. Grasses, especially bermuda use N-P-K in a 4-1-3 or 4-1-4 ratio. The guys in the chicken growing areas that have used broiler litter for years are starting to have problems with excess phosphorus. It seems to tie up some of the other nutrients.

After liming this fall i think will try to get some litter for next year, in my area they had some kind of chicken biohazzard and nobody got to put any down till earlier March. If i dont get any rain from now to September im wasting my time our grass is dead and we need a hurricane or tropical storm to even get it to grow beleive we our 13.04 inches in drought.

Tough Times make you just hope that next year will be better and that is all we can do right now. :roll:

SFFarms":374pie0m said:
After liming this fall i think will try to get some litter for next year, in my area they had some kind of chicken biohazzard and nobody got to put any down till earlier March. If i dont get any rain from now to September im wasting my time our grass is dead and we need a hurricane or tropical storm to even get it to grow beleive we our 13.04 inches in drought.

Tough Times make you just hope that next year will be better and that is all we can do right now. :roll:
well timing is critical with nitrogen.. if you put it out in feb. say a week or two before green up. and that all the soil test called for and the ground is still cold. it will leach out and be wasted,, the best time to hit with strait N is when you start to see green and the ground is warmer. if plan on using litter next year i would save my dollar on lime this fall cause you can build up the soil ph pretty quick with just the litter.

Generally N is figured to only be good for 30 days anyway. If the stuff sin;t growing well enough to use it when you put it down it's wasted money

SFFarms":1pgto2wu said:

Thanks,

SF-Farms

Is this a hay field that you want to cut hay on, or are you talking about just getting grass to grow permanently for pasture uses? If its on a new field for establishing a grass stand, I would spread manure on it. Fertilizer is only used as a quick growth for hay. It only lasts 2 months or so. Liming is a good option however its not a overnight fix, it takes up to 5 years to get the full effect.

GMN

dun":5vgtpq5q said:
Generally N is figured to only be good for 30 days anyway. If the stuff sin;t growing well enough to use it when you put it down it's wasted money
That doesn't explain fall application of N for April planted corn very well. Must have a different calendar in Missouri.

somn":1riesytv said:
dun":1riesytv said:
That doesn't explain fall application of N for April planted corn very well. Must have a different calendar in Missouri.

Why would you fertilize corn that has already been harvested?

somn":1o2be1b6 said:
dun":1o2be1b6 said:

Stabilized NH3 injected into cold soil vs urea spread on a fescue pasture. Completely different situations.

dun":2uvfvgha said:
somn":2uvfvgha said:
dun":2uvfvgha said:

Why would you fertilize corn that has already been harvested?
Thank god mentor under your username is based solely on number of posts.

john250":2ds7c2x0 said:
somn":2ds7c2x0 said:
dun":2ds7c2x0 said:

Stabilized NH3 injected into cold soil vs urea spread on a fescue pasture. Completely different situations.
Had he been talking about NH3 or urea or 32% specifically I would agree with you however he was talking generally. See that the first word in his post he made no specifics on what kind or what application method now did he? Generally.

somn":k4juacud said:
dun":k4juacud said:

Why would someone apply nitrogen to corn in the fall? Maybe our growing season/conditions are different, but around here it is always applied during the spring/early-mid summer. :?

Latest posts