2 bred heifers 2 times this $

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
bred_zpscf0b57b2.png

Was 2 bred heifers one was 4 mos one was 6 mos

The price might be low but look at the weight. If it is times two then they were both on the scale. Which means they weighed 662.5 pounds each. If you want to calf out heifers that are that small I will wish you good luck.

Dave is that the avg wt. for each of them? Because the heifer pictured looks heavier than 622. But I don't know how the sale barn works enough to say.

Atleast I know if yall were in the same barn yall wouldnt be running the price up on me LOL I would buy both no problem. It wouldnt be something id keep in my herd but I think I could make some $$ off of them. Wehrman angus use to breed heifers that size all the time.

BTW that was combined weights

branguscowgirl":3mjkymvs said:
Dave is that the avg wt. for each of them? Because the heifer pictured looks heavier than 622. But I don't know how the sale barn works enough to say.

I thought so too but if they weighed 1325 each they would be worth more than $750 to kill. That would be only .56 cents a pound. And it is 662 pounds not 622. I know my fingers hit to wrong keys too :D

Sky those teen pregnancy heifers sell for that or less here all the time. I end up with some every year in my heifer deal. They are a real joy to calf out. You lose a lot of the calves, sometimes a heifer, some of them just don't recover from losing the calf, and of course she will decide to have the calf on the middle of worse night of the year. My experience is there isn't much money in them.

Dave":1o8dwwa4 said:
Sky those teen pregnancy heifers sell for that or less here all the time. I end up with some every year in my heifer deal. They are a real joy to calf out. You lose a lot of the calves, sometimes a heifer, some of them just don't recover from losing the calf, and of course she will decide to have the calf on the middle of worse night of the year. My experience is there isn't much money in them.

no risk no reward... I take chances .. I have bought worse and made a few pennies. I try to buy the worst looking cows at the barn calves too. Its like hunting you don't know what you will get if you don't go. If you don't buy you don't know.

skyhightree1":sgi1bcqu said:
Dave":sgi1bcqu said:

no risk no reward... I take chances .. I have bought worse and made a few pennies. I try to buy the worst looking cows at the barn calves too. Its like hunting you don't know what you will get if you don't go. If you don't buy you don't know.
You must have a lot more money to risk than I do sky.........
I had one bad experience, and will never do it again. :(
My ex bought a poor little heifer like that at the sale barn once. The renters dog ate the face off the calf (While she was down trying to have it) before he got to her. Damaged the heifer also. He put her down right away, there was no way that calf was coming out. Made me sick that he was stupid enough to even buy her. And sick that the A-hole put her through the sale like that.

I watched that set go through Sky. They sold for $760 per head. They looked big to me for 662 lb cattle.
That buyer is not a dummy. I have set there and watched him buy cattle all afternoon.

If they get up to 9 wts until they calve, and he dumps them in a special sale instead of just a weekly sale, he will probably make a little money. They wouldn't look that awful if they had a calf standing beside 'em, and the grass was green!
How many months bred were they.... Sky?

branguscowgirl":13j0ykh8 said:
skyhightree1":13j0ykh8 said:
Dave":13j0ykh8 said:

You must have a lot more money to risk than I do sky.........
I had one bad experience, and will never do it again. :(
My ex bought a poor little heifer like that at the sale barn once. The renters dog ate the face off the calf (While she was down trying to have it) before he got to her. Damaged the heifer also. He put her down right away, there was no way that calf was coming out. Made me sick that he was stupid enough to even buy her. And sick that the A-hole put her through the sale like that.

If you trade cattle you gotta expect some loss sometimes but there is also good reward if you take a chance alot of the time. That sux BCG

jasonleonard":13j0ykh8 said:
I watched that set go through Sky. They sold for $760 per head. They looked big to me for 662 lb cattle.
That buyer is not a dummy. I have set there and watched him buy cattle all afternoon.

If they get up to 9 wts until they calve, and he dumps them in a special sale instead of just a weekly sale, he will probably make a little money. They wouldn't look that awful if they had a calf standing beside 'em, and the grass was green!
How many months bred were they.... Sky?

4 mos and 6 mos bred ... Yes Jason if he cleans them up and throws good feed good chance they would look alot better and can bring him some $. Yea they looked like they were heavier but werent getting the groceries they needed. The buyer definately isn't a dummy.

Well I am going to make a prediction and probably nobody can prove me wrong because none of us will know where they went. I will predict that by April 15, on a special cow sale at a local stockyard that they will bring over 1,000 each. Thats just 2 months away and they will make him at least 250 each. Taking a chance sometimes has big rewards. Now the next person that will actually calve them out might have troubles.

kenny thomas":20ik0o0v said:
Well I am going to make a prediction and probably nobody can prove me wrong because none of us will know where they went. I will predict that by April 15, on a special cow sale at a local stockyard that they will bring over 1,000 each. Thats just 2 months away and they will make him at least 250 each. Taking a chance sometimes has big rewards. Now the next person that will actually calve them out might have troubles.
Bingo.

kenny thomas":mlhyz1y2 said:
Good chance of that happening if they had sold around here.

Latest posts