1st Tractor for Cattle Farm

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hi Yall,

We are starting a grass finish and calving operation on our humble farm in Central Michigan. We have 18 acres of pasture and have bought our first calves. Now I am looking at a tractor for moving round bales around (with snow on ground) to include off loading from a truck. Scooping up snow will be in its works too. I have been looking at JD 5055E and 5083E. The cost between the two is about 15 K. I am kinda leaning towards the 5083E for the cab which is nice in winter I am sure. Is it to much tractor for my operation though? I look forward to everyones opinions on comments. Many thanks.

Between the two of them..and with the operation you described... I would go with the 5055e. but with your location, I can understand why you would want the cab too..

Short Fuse Farm":190k9tth said:
Hi Yall,

We are starting a grass finish and calving operation on our humble farm in Central Michigan. We have 18 acres of pasture and have bought our first calves. Now I am looking at a tractor for moving round bales around (with snow on ground) to include off loading from a truck. Scooping up snow will be in its works too. I have been looking at JD 5055E and 5083E. The cost between the two is about 15 K. I am kinda leaning towards the 5083E for the cab which is nice in winter I am sure. Is it to much tractor for my operation though? I look forward to everyones opinions on comments. Many thanks.
no its not to much tractor for your setup with the things your wanting it todo.an if you have the money go for it.

out of those two not just for the cab but i would only consider the 5083. what about a m7040 kubota with a cab they are realy good tractors. i have had both kubota and john deere and sevarel others and they are the only two i will ever have again in new tractors.

Don't go less than 70 HP so go with the 5083. Smaller than this will not do a good job of handling the larger round bales. Also get 4WD if you can afford it. I also run a M7040 but I have rimguard in the rear tires. If I am stacking hay in a barn or moving a bunch I also use a counterweight that weighs 600 or so. With this setup I can stack 5 1/2 x 5 round bales three high.
Buy everything that you want and can afford or you will be disappointed.

bird dog":l90t99q2 said:
Don't go less than 70 HP so go with the 5083. Smaller than this will not do a good job of handling the larger round bales. Also get 4WD if you can afford it. I also run a M7040 but I have rimguard in the rear tires. If I am stacking hay in a barn or moving a bunch I also use a counterweight that weighs 600 or so. With this setup I can stack 5 1/2 x 5 round bales three high.
Buy everything that you want and can afford or you will be disappointed.
A 55hp tractor thats 4x4 will handle any size bale with 1 on the rear.but i dont think id try stacking them high with the tractor.

Folks do not forgot they have 18 acres. How much hay will they be moving. I would say a much smaller tractor would do the job. I handle hay with a 42 horse power 4100 Ford that is 25 years old.

Short Fuse Farm":3lxui53r said:
Hi Yall,

Ok, what part of this is cattle income and how much is contributions from a town job. For cattle profitability you need an old, cheap tractor. if it's an investment, buy the big one.

We have a 53 HP kabota 2wd with a fel. It is a little light in the rear. We loaded the wheels and leave a disc or bush hog on for weight. We handle about 15 bales a winter and have no problems. Would like 4x4 but don't really need it. Never had it stuck in 4 years. The fel is another story, couldn't do without it. We have 9 cows and 15 acres and it's the right tractor for us.

JD dealer went up 4K of quote since I left the states. So I ordered a New Holland Workmaster 55 4X4. Tires are gonna be loaded. 0 percent financing with no money down sealed the deal. Thanks for the input guys! I did go a little smaller to stay affordable.

Nice tractor. A good choice too, for your needs. I'm already having buyers remorse for not going 50ish HP 4wd vs. 80ish HP 2wd. Would have been about the same $$$$, and fit my needs better.

Sounds like a good choice to me too. Putting a bale on the 3pt will help you with your hay moving duties. Thanks for your service!

~~BC

Here is the guy I picked up. Cheapest new tractor I could get to get the job done. Handles the bales easily. I have been stacking them 2 high.

CIMG1711.jpg

Latest posts