1978 931 Cat loader value

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus1

Reaction score
2500 hours 80% u/c , rear sprockets look to be the weakest link but should work fine for the time being . Whats its worth ? thanks

Sight unseen I personally would have a hard time going over 8,000 because i go to so many sales I can get some really nice stuff with a lil bit more $ each region has different prices so kind of hard to truly say.

Hours are low, but undercarriage gets expensive REAL fast.. I don't think I'd go above 5K on it unless it looks really nice... I'd also look at a JD450 if you're into that style of machine.. I have the JD350 crawler loader, and the work that has done around here is incredible... I've dug out rocks a Hyundai 210 excavator had a hard time with, and moved rocks as big as the machine when I really had to... I don't know about the CAT machines, but the JD machines can have a hoe attachment on them, and they are very strong hoes for their size, though slow to move around.

Usually dozer work is cheaper to hire somebody. Those sprockets don't come cheap. How are the final drives in it. To fix those is usually more than the machine is worth.

I've got a 931B, think it's an '80 model off the top of my head. Gave 7k for it about 5 years ago with the backhoe attachment, it's got 9k hours on it but was rebuilt around 5k I think. Everything works except for the right brake, just haven't got around to fixing it yet.

Nice machines for clearing fencerows and small jobs, but a little light for much excavating work. Mine has a 4n1 bucket, not sure I'd want one without it, great for jerking out posts and stacking trees. Never considered myself a good crawler operator, so take that for what it's worth?

Does it have the 3F/3R trans? That's what mine has, I think some of the early ones only had one reverse speed. That'd get old pretty quick.

It will be 3 forward 1 reverse. 8,000$ to 10,000$, we've owned 4 931s, 2 78s, a 79 and a 88, not bad little machines. Make sure the steering clutches and brakes are working good, you can spend more getting them working than those machines can ever be worth. And you can be pretty sure unless it's a real rare find that it's got more than 2500 hours.

Denvermartin, you have a good point, the hours might not be 'honest' hours.. Hour meter on our machine quit at about 3600.. probably has 4500 or so now..
I think if it only has one reverse speed it would get old quickly... Our old Allis HD6 has 4 forward 2 reverse, and let me tell you that 2nd in reverse is DARNED fast (it needs some final drive bearings too)
Here's the Allis hard at work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZfvUrzqyj4

We paid $3500 for it, it has reciepts for $9500 (1985 dollars) in new undercarriage... All new pads, rails, sprockets and rollers.. Sure makes a mess when you turn with it but it'll push!

I actually never minded the 1 reverse that bad, for some reason it's not as bad as it seems like it would be. Of course I wouldn't try to make a living with one of these anyway, so speed isn't as much of a concern as getting a good reliable machine for the money.

denvermartinfarms":17a6gzjo said:
It will be 3 forward 1 reverse. 8,000$ to 10,000$, we've owned 4 931s, 2 78s, a 79 and a 88, not bad little machines. Make sure the steering clutches and brakes are working good, you can spend more getting them working than those machines can ever be worth. And you can be pretty sure unless it's a real rare find that it's got more than 2500 hours.

My RH steering clutch works fine, but the brake is at the end of the adjustment and doesn't work at all. I've just learned to deal with it but would like to tear into it one winter. Have you ever replaced the brakes on one? Any advice or parts cost estimate?

Thanks.

Well, I know CAT wants $400 for a door striker.. Might look into getting the existing brake relined before buying a new one..

Latest posts