Loader problems

Help Support CattleToday:

J+ Cattle

Reaction score
Calling on all of the tractor mechanics out there.

I have a 2008 New Holland TD5050 tractor with an 820TL loader. Recently the bucket tilt began bleeding down at a rather quick rate, it will go from level to straight down in a minute or two. the lift cylinders will bleed down too but not nearly at the same rate, much slower. I know something is leaking or bleeding by internally (no leaks externally), it could be inside the cylinders or the diverter valve that is mounted on the cross member just above the bucket. How do I narrow down the issue to know what is causing this problem?

820 TL diverter valve.jpg

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, this is something that I have no experience with, and I don't have a manual for it to explain how the loader works with this diverter valve. There was a decal on the cover over the diverter valve, but the sunlight and weather has taken it off.

Sure looks like a Quicke loader to me, betting they made it for NH.

There's nothing fancy about the distribution block in your picture. I may have some port locations wrong, but you should get the general idea from my picture below. I'm betting that the two A hoses (one is hidden from view and indicated by arrow) are from your control valve and service the lift cylinders, the block distributes that fluid evenly to both sides of your loader lift cylinders at ports B on either side. Fluid from your control valve for the tilt cylinders likely enters the block at port C and distributed to both tilt cyl's at port D on either side. An optional electric spool valve can be placed in the block at port E which would divert fluid from your tilt function to a 3rd function for a grapple, etc at port F. This spool valve would be controlled by the wiring which is zippy tied out of the way at W.

Again, I may have some ports mixed up/mislabeled, but you should get the gist of it.

I would start by disconnecting the loader hoses in front of the valve just ahead of your cab/operator station on RH side, that will let you know if problem is in front of quick disconnect or behind it. Behind = valve, in front = cylinder packing, most likely. I would suggest placing a piece of angle iron over the exposed chrome on your lift cylinder to keep the loader a few feet off the ground before disconnecting the hydraulic quick connect, so it doesn't build pressure while unhooked. This will allow your tilt cylinders (problem area) to leak down independent of anything else if they are the culprit. As always, keep in mind the hazards of working around fluid under pressure - it can kill you quick. If you're not familiar, take it to someone who is.

Best of luck.

820 TL diverter valve_LI.jpg

You are correct that is a Quicke loader with New Holland stickers. Also correct in the function of that dist block. Only way something could go wrong with it is if it were to crack internally.

Sure looks like a Quicke loader to me, betting they made it for NH.

There's nothing fancy about the distribution block in your picture. I may have some port locations wrong, but you should get the general idea from my picture below. I'm betting that the two A hoses (one is hidden from view and indicated by arrow) are from your control valve and service the lift cylinders, the block distributes that fluid evenly to both sides of your loader lift cylinders at ports B on either side. Fluid from your control valve for the tilt cylinders likely enters the block at port C and distributed to both tilt cyl's at port D on either side. An optional electric spool valve can be placed in the block at port E which would divert fluid from your tilt function to a 3rd function for a grapple, etc at port F. This spool valve would be controlled by the wiring which is zippy tied out of the way at W.

Again, I may have some ports mixed up/mislabeled, but you should get the gist of it.

I would start by disconnecting the loader hoses in front of the valve just ahead of your cab/operator station on RH side, that will let you know if problem is in front of quick disconnect or behind it. Behind = valve, in front = cylinder packing, most likely. I would suggest placing a piece of angle iron over the exposed chrome on your lift cylinder to keep the loader a few feet off the ground before disconnecting the hydraulic quick connect, so it doesn't build pressure while unhooked. This will allow your tilt cylinders (problem area) to leak down independent of anything else if they are the culprit. As always, keep in mind the hazards of working around fluid under pressure - it can kill you quick. If you're not familiar, take it to someone who is.

Best of luck.

View attachment 28340
@cfpinz thank you, this is very helpful information, it's the closest thing that I have for a manual. Usually if I know how something is supposed to work then I can figure out what is wrong. I was thinking there were spool valves and such in the diverter valve that might be causing me problems.