18 month old Limousin

Help Support CattleToday:

Miss Daisy

Reaction score

This picture was taken late last August shortly before show time. He was fed ringmaster showbeef and good timothy hay. What do you guys think and how can i improve?
Thanks!

Man...I dont want to be rude but if you want to improve you should look for another steer. Sorry :oops:

a key part to a Limousin is a full obvious rear quarter. this steer/bull has a Longhorn quarter. front pasterns look a little questionable to me. he has a nice color and head/face. i dont really know anything about the show look though.

He was around 18 months at the time the photo was taken. He died not too long after from an infection, piece of wire punctured heart. Got sick the day of show

Miss Daisy":3setx3ir said:
He was around 18 months at the time the photo was taken. He died not too long after from an infection, piece of wire punctured heart. Got sick the day of show

it doesnt appear that he was very developed for an 18 month old. what was his yearling weight and 18 month weight? i am not one to advocate fat or overfed cattle, but i think i can see some ribs. i dont know what shows like, but from what i can tell BCS 6 is probably the minimum and i say yours is a 5 at best.
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/beef/400-795/photos1-9.html

i think feed would not be the problem here though. i would say genetics would make a bigger difference. i think the flat/missing rear quarter would be my first place to look. if you want to know what a bull will throw, look at the bulls younger pictures (yrlg, 18 mo).

His yearling weight was about 700. His 18 month weight was just tipping the scale at 1000lbs. He was the lightest steer in his class. I do think feed played a big part. He was fed a maintainence grain from yearling on until finishing time. I didnt know the difference.I think i underfinished as well as the genetics could have played a part. The bull he came from has a good hind quarter, however i dont know who the cow was and if that plays a role.

Miss Daisy":2cmkezdb said:
The fact that you know that a piece of wire punctured his heart, I presume that a Vet made the diagnosis. How long had the wire been a problem? Hardware Disease? The wire could have been the main problem with his metabolism. He was not nearly as filled out or in as good a condtiion as he should have been at 18 months, particularly for a Limousin. The most glaring fault was the fact that he had insufficient hind quarter development, his rear flank was way too shallow, and no gaskin development, he was lacking in thickness,(side to side fullness), he appeared to be cow-hocked from this view, his front pasterns were weak, particularly the right one. On the positive side - he was smooth-shouldered, however not being a breeding bull that is of little consequence for the individual himself as a steer - but it IS a serious consequence because his Sire and Dam will probably have other calves such as this one - and if you plan to keep replacements or sell breeders- bad news! In other words - the sire and dam of this steer will probably not produce acceptable BREEDING seedstock!

DOC HARRIS

Miss Daisy":1mzzmuw7 said:
What do you guys think and how can i improve?Thanks!
You can make a big improvement by selling this thing and getting an Angus, either Red or Black or a Hereford, either Polled or Horned.

Thanks for the input DOC HARRIS. The vet did a biopsy and fount the bit of wire. I don't know how long it had been in him. We noticed him being lethargic and his temp was high. Figured it was an infection and put him on penicillan. This started about a month before he died. First time its happened on our place. This calf was my first one for FFA and i had no idea what i was doing and no idea about finish. He was taken from my granfather's herd. He just sells the calves at the fall auction so he doesnt keep up with bloodlines and genetics. Thank you very much for the points you made.

la4angus":2le75c5h said:
Miss Daisy":2le75c5h said:
You can make a big improvement by selling this thing and getting an Angus, either Red or Black or a Hereford, either Polled or Horned.

well, its too late to sell him, he's dead. he was an FFA project. I agree, angus are a good breed of cattle, some would argue the best. I am not going to disagree, but my family raises limousins so they are what i must stick with for a while longer

Hey there Daisy,

Sorry to hear that your steer died.

Are you going to get another steer for this year? By the looks of the picture, you must have spent some time handling and grooming him, and it's nice to see young folks involved with agriculture.

Hang in there and take care.

la4angus":1gw6ril8 said:
Miss Daisy":1gw6ril8 said:
well just getting an angus aint going to improve the situation any. I doubt the steer in the picture was even 50% limi. a straight bred limi would be alot different in apperance , and mucsle . I also think the steer was suffering from the infection you mentioned , longer than you thought.

i think a red Limousin without a disposition problem would be ideal for showing. i like their phenotype and the red makes there muscle show up very well. the reason we dont raise them is because of fertility, disposition and Quality Grade; 2 out of 3 have no impact on showing as far as i know.

I'd have to agree that it's a probable cross as we raise Limousin and ours look nothing like that. Limousin are known for their muscle.
Have someone help you pick a nice steer for next year and keep trying.
At our county fair we have over 100 steers weighed in, 35 sell, and two of my sons have taken grand champion carcass with their Limousin steers, both red. They were also very docile.
I know in the past some people have had a problem with the old Limousin temperament. We, along with every other responsible breeder of any breed, knows enough to send the ones with a problem to the feed lot.
You will learn a lot as you go. Good luck with your next project! :lol:

If I remember right a few years ago limo-angus crosses were winning a lot of shows, maybe your family could AI a couple their better cows to a good angus bull. Maybe it might work for you. Hope you have better luck next time.

CattleAnnie":2ptoqpji said:
Hey there Daisy,
Are you going to get another steer for this year? By the looks of the picture, you must have spent some time handling and grooming him, and it's nice to see young folks involved with agriculture.

Already have this years calf. Got him last November. Pre-show is the 25th of this month, and final show is the 1st of September. The calf is from the same herd and he is looking much better than last year. Nice long steer. I think he will do well.
I appreciate everyone chipping in!

p.s. most of the show steers in our county are angus and they dominate the show ring

Latest posts