10 yard dump trucks !

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a dump truck. Know very little about them. Use to drive a 5 yard hauling gravel years ago. Other than that haven't much experience knowing what to look for when buying one.

Anyone have any advice as what to look for other the mileage, over all condition. I do want a desil and standard transmission.

We have an IH 4900, single axle.

It's pretty handy. Can take the tailgate off and haul pretty much anything, and it unloads itself. Firewood, logs, trash, stumps, whatever.

It's an old state plow truck, has the mechanical DT466 and a Spicer 6+. Love the engine, don't really care for the trans but it works.

I am thinking about getting a dump truck. Know very little about them. Use to drive a 5 yard hauling gravel years ago. Other than that haven't much experience knowing what to look for when buying one.

Anyone have any advice as what to look for other the mileage, over all condition. I do want a desil and standard transmission.
I'm sure others will give good advice on what to look for on the chassis but I would offer a few things to look at on the body other than the obvious. I would run the bed all the way up, stand on the drivers side step and try to rock the truck side to side. This shouldn't be too hard to do on a 10 yd dump. See if you hear any clunking or see excess side to side movement of the bed. Could indicate worn out bushings or pins. Telescopic hoists are generally longer lasting and more powerful than underbody (scissor) hoists. Other than that it's basic appearance and you should be able to tell what kind of life it lived based on the condition of the body.

I'm sure others will give good advice on what to look for on the chassis but I would offer a few things to look at on the body other than the obvious. I would run the bed all the way up, stand on the drivers side step and try to rock the truck side to side. This shouldn't be too hard to do on a 10 yd dump. See if you hear any clunking or see excess side to side movement of the bed. Could indicate worn out bushings or pins. Telescopic hoists are generally longer lasting and more powerful than underbody (scissor) hoists. Other than that it's basic appearance and you should be able to tell what kind of life it lived based on the condition of the body.
Thanks i appreciate the advice. Saw a 10 yard with 3rd axle in front of me make a right hand turn at the red light. Apeered to swung to wide while turning. A car was waiting to turn in the turning lane in front of him. So he had to back up to try again. When he did the middle set of duals wheels shifted forward about 6 inches. When he pulled forward the wheels shifted backwards about 6 inches. Done that two times before he made his turn.

Called the phone number on the side of his truck to let him know. He said he had some kind of bolt that had broke and was trying to pump it in to his shop.

It was a good looking truck. I wouldn't have expected it to have broken a bolt like that as new as it looked.

I guess that happens from time to time though.

We have an IH 4900, single axle.

It's pretty handy. Can take the tailgate off and haul pretty much anything, and it unloads itself. Firewood, logs, trash, stumps, whatever.

It's an old state plow truck, has the mechanical DT466 and a Spicer 6+. Love the engine, don't really care for the trans but it works.
When you say DR 466 what is that ? Spicer 6+ is that a 6 speed split axle transmission ? I think I have heard of a spicer transmission.

I drove a 6 yard plowing snow but it had an automatic trans mission on it. Also had a sand spreader in the dump bed.

I am needing something to haul alot of dirt and gravel. Rather have a 10 yard than a 5. Make less trips.

When you say DR 466 what is that ? Spicer 6+ is that a 6 speed split axle transmission ? I think I have heard of a spicer transmission.

I drove a 6 yard plowing snow but it had an automatic trans mission on it. Also had a sand spreader in the dump bed.

I am needing something to haul alot of dirt and gravel. Rather have a 10 yard than a 5. Make less trips.
DT 466 is the International 7.6 6 cylinder. Used in a lot of school buses, smaller dumps, and bigger Case IH tractors. Super common, a lot of them are used in tractor pulls too.

The 6+ is a straight 7 speed, essentially a 6 speed with low and reverse. I've never been able to shift it very good. It is synchronized and pretty well wore out.

I agree about finding a telescopic lift, ours has a rickety old scissor that I've had issues with in the past.

Last edited:
I had an old Ford F700 with the 7.8 Brazilian and 5/2 for a long time, but sold it and picked up a gooseneck dump trailer to replace it with. Prefer the trailer for most things over the dump truck other than gravel, hard to spread gravel with it. Only real maintenance items on the trailer are tires and batteries, neither of which will break the bank.

If you're not familiar with the term Spicer, you may want to have a heavy truck mechanic go with you to look at potential trucks. Wouldn't be hard to drop $10k into truck repairs with a truck that size if you overlook something.

I had an old Ford F700 with the 7.8 Brazilian and 5/2 for a long time, but sold it and picked up a gooseneck dump trailer to replace it with. Prefer the trailer for most things over the dump truck other than gravel, hard to spread gravel with it. Only real maintenance items on the trailer are tires and batteries, neither of which will break the bank.

If you're not familiar with the term Spicer, you may want to have a heavy truck mechanic go with you to look at potential trucks. Wouldn't be hard to drop $10k into truck repairs with a truck that size if you overlook something.
Thanks, I know a guy that i am going to talk to about doing that. I am not real familiar with dump trucks at all.

Latest posts