10 day bottle calf no longer wanting to eat

Help Support CattleToday:

moloss

Reaction score
We have a bottle calf (that we got for our 9 yr old son) that was a rejected twin. It is 10 days old born small. She did get come colostrum from the mother. It has been drinking 2 liters in the morning and 2 liters at night for the guy we got him from. She would walk up and nurse the bottle with no assistance He gave us the bag of milk replacer. We are using the same bottle, milk replacer, and temperature he used. The calf will not willingly drink for us. I force fed it - squirted milk in her mouth and made her swallow last night and this morning and got her to take about 1 liter each time. She went 14 hours between the morning feeding the original owner gave her and when I force fed her last night. We had offered her a bottle several times during the day and she turned it down. Is 10 days a possible turning point where a calf can just go downhill for no apparent reason? We thought by 10 days she would be good to go. Any ideas what the problem is? Is it OK to force feed her? If I force feed, how much should I force her to consume at each feeding?

Your local feed store or TSC will have a bag to feed it with. I would give it some antibiotics, and electrolytes. Good luck, its not normal activity for a calf to do this. Also take its tempature.

well this morning she was standing and walking around in the pen (before church)....got home from church ate lunch went out to check calf and she's dead......thanks for y'alls input but I think it just wasn't meant to be......Chris.

Hi l am new here, l'm from the toronto area....
and live on a dariy farm l have lots of experience with calves
that has never happened to me before.. :???:

Latest posts