1 for the angus ppl here

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
ive got a friend that has always gotta angus steers for his grandkids to show in the steer show.well he has finally gotten what i call a dynamite steer that will be fine for a minute an then butt you hard as it can an proceed to run over stomping an kicking you.the guy has treated the steer fine but it explodes on any an every1.he says he dont think he will let his granddughter show it because it explodes fast an hard.he always gets them angus calves,but the last 3 have ate their lunch pretty good.an been hard to gentle an halter break.

bigbull338":3dbp6022 said:
ive got a friend that has always gotta angus steers for his grandkids to show in the steer show.well he has finally gotten what i call a dynamite steer that will be fine for a minute an then butt you hard as it can an proceed to run over stomping an kicking you.the guy has treated the steer fine but it explodes on any an every1.he says he dont think he will let his granddughter show it because it explodes fast an hard.he always gets them angus calves,but the last 3 have ate their lunch pretty good.an been hard to gentle an halter break.

Pheno--barb--it--al

that trick no longer is allowed in showing cattle.he needs to just pull the steer from the show.

3waycross":2kgttcqn said:
bigbull338":2kgttcqn said:

Pheno--barb--it--al

Tu--ba--for

upfrombottom":270yga95 said:
3waycross":270yga95 said:
bigbull338":270yga95 said:

Pheno--barb--it--al

Tu--ba--for
:lol: for-d-5 tween-d-i's

I never thought I would see the day when my solution was the nicest!!!!!!

Bigbull I have seen the 4H kids using osmething to sedate teir steers in the last 2 years. Maybe not Phenabaritol but a trank nevertheless.

steers like this are like rank horses. The only way to "change" them is to gain their respect. Not too sure how that is going to happen, but it required a boot to the nose on a 1000 lb beefmaster bull when I was younger. Immediate attitude change. My dad "baited" him into becoming agressive, and them WHAM. I thought the bull was crazy. I shifted the crazy label over to my dad after that...LOL

If I were the man, I would never let my granddaughter handle the calf, unless I could "fix" his problem. Even then, I don't think I would let her. It might scare her into never wanting to show again, which would be a sad outcome.

nothing disturbs me more when judging to see kids getting their a$$ kicked by an animal, steer or heifer, whatever breed I've seen many of em do this, because they were either clearly not worked with enough or were just plain bad disposition, maybe I'm off base but I can sense and see in the animals eyes whether it is fear or aggression in a stressful situation, some animals just have that 'look' that tells you 'any second now I'm heading outta here, through you or over you but I'm gone' Some animals never get to the gentled stage, everytime you get a halter on them it's like you flipped a switch in their brain. My advice, send this particular steer to slaughter without seeing the inside of a show ring. It's one thing to teach a kid persistence in setting up and handling an animal that is having an off day, quite another to put them at risk with an animal that has already shown extreme temperament changes.

well he broke the calf to lead using the tractor as it was the safest way todo so.the calf can be fine 1 minute an explode the next.tranking the calf isnt an option as they blood test suspect calves at the shows now.ive delt with a heifer that was mean wild an crazy years ago.an i wasnt afraide of her,but she came at you wanting to kill you an dance on you.she put the owner up on an old hay bunk in the corral.an she put me in the barn.theres was no way i could get out to her to get her away so the owner could get to a safer place.we both finally made it out of the corral.an he gave up an kicked her back in the pasture.all breeds have wild un rulely cattle in them.

He needs to tie him with his head up for a couple hours a day, rinse him every day and put him on either Glu-coat or Melatonin, the Glu-coat is a supplement that helps lay down marbling but a side-effect is that it mellows them out, Melatonin is a sleep aid, that is used to grow hair in cattle that also has a side-effect of making them mellow. You get the melatonin at Wal-Mart and feed them about 30 pills a day (3 mg pills) cost like a 1.50 a day.

We had a steer that was on edge all the time last year we put him on Glu-coat and it took about 2 weeks and there was a huge difference in his attitude. He would blow up every time you got near his head, could not comb, rinse, or use the blower on him, after 2 weeks of feeding the Glu-coat, he just stopped. It was not like he got better and better, it was like someone hit a switch, he just had a new attitude.

bigbull338":1i2wzvjb said:
well he broke the calf to lead using the tractor as it was the safest way todo so.the calf can be fine 1 minute an explode the next.tranking the calf isnt an option as they blood test suspect calves at the shows now.ive delt with a heifer that was mean wild an crazy years ago.an i wasnt afraide of her,but she came at you wanting to kill you an dance on you.she put the owner up on an old hay bunk in the corral.an she put me in the barn.theres was no way i could get out to her to get her away so the owner could get to a safer place.we both finally made it out of the corral.an he gave up an kicked her back in the pasture.all breeds have wild un rulely cattle in them.
Guess he needs to use a tractor to show....Steer learned he couldn't beat the tractor and never learned who was boss without it. To late on this one but the next start out sooner with a smaller animal that CAN be handled. To me it is as simple as that.

We broke a nasty steer with a tractor before, but we had someone walking beside him so he thought it was the person leading him, not the tractor. On the lines of what VCC said, he needs to be worked with by being tied up, brushing, blowing, rinsing. Cattle might be a dumb, but they do need to develop a sense of trust.

Maybe your title should have been..."1 for the show ppl here"

There are plenty of Angus folks who have never put a halter on a hamburger. :)

It is easy to say "he needs to learn how to pick good cattle and learn how to handle them" From BB's description it sounds like it is a good one. I raised my first steer when I was 11 years old, and he was the one that taught me which steers not to pick. It's the calves that are scared and turn to the fight part of flight or fight (hard to fly when you are at the end of a rope and can't get away.) That can take a while to tame down. That is why when breaking calves rule #1 is TAKE YOUR TIME. Baby steps, first is put in a small pen and just let them settle down and get used to you being there. Then halter and tying, a little bit at a time (some you tie from out side the pen for a bit) The rinsing and combing and blowing really can take the edge off one once they get used to it. The biggest thing is do not beet on or do something that makes the associate any of these processes with pain.

Working a calf from the ground on a halter is a lot different from pushing into chutes. Where you are using the flight part of flight or fight method and they can fly, a little bit of scared is good. (This is where X show heifers can cause a train wreck once back in the herd, no fear) When teaching to lead we have to get past the scared part.

I have moved animal with a tractor but they where already halter broke, they were just bi!(%y that day and I did not have time to deal with it. I do not think it does any more for them than tying does.

Oh and the drug they use now is ACE to sedate and it is not legal either, plus most shows drug test the fats and that is one drug they test for.

Latest posts