1 for the angus ppl here

Help Support CattleToday:

Gators Rule":39j99ede said:
steers like this are like rank horses. The only way to "change" them is to gain their respect. Not too sure how that is going to happen, but it required a boot to the nose on a 1000 lb beefmaster bull when I was younger. Immediate attitude change. My dad "baited" him into becoming agressive, and them WHAM. I thought the bull was crazy. I shifted the crazy label over to my dad after that...LOL

If I were the man, I would never let my granddaughter handle the calf, unless I could "fix" his problem. Even then, I don't think I would let her. It might scare her into never wanting to show again, which would be a sad outcome.

i know i wouldnt let my grandkids handle the calf even if i fixed the problem. cause thier respect or fear for me wouldnt be the same as for the kids. just like a rank horse might be good for one guy but the next better hang on.

well this guy is 77 an he has been around cattle all his life.an he pretty much knows what todo with an handle cattle.his granddughter is gonna show the calf tomorrow unless she backs out.as for tranking they pull the blood on the calves so thats out.

I have handled cattle since I was hold enough to walk, all of which have been Angus. I would make some tastey beef out of that calf and next year pay special attention to the the show calf prospects dispostion. Also people are not tractors..you have put a halter on a calf that is probably scared to death and tied him to a loud machine. I doubt I would like people much if that happened to me either. I have halter broke many calves weighing 800lbs or a little over by simply tieing them up and handling them everyday. Nice and slow, they learn how to trust and you will be surprised with the results. More importantly that little girl will learn to love cattle and she will pass that down to her kids. Thats what its all about, isnt it?

BFA":1z0hbpts said:
I have handled cattle since I was hold enough to walk, all of which have been Angus. I would make some tastey beef out of that calf and next year pay special attention to the the show calf prospects dispostion. Also people are not tractors..you have put a halter on a calf that is probably scared to death and tied him to a loud machine. I doubt I would like people much if that happened to me either. I have halter broke many calves weighing 800lbs or a little over by simply tieing them up and handling them everyday. Nice and slow, they learn how to trust and you will be surprised with the results. More importantly that little girl will learn to love cattle and she will pass that down to her kids. Thats what its all about, isnt it?
:welcome:

bigbull338":2pf2g8db said:
well this guy is 77 an he has been around cattle all his life.an he pretty much knows what todo with an handle cattle.his granddughter is gonna show the calf tomorrow unless she backs out.as for tranking they pull the blood on the calves so thats out.

Why would a guy even consider letting a kid show an animal like this unless he is on an ego trip and needs that blue ribbon

user1":138doxtj said:
bigbull338":138doxtj said:

Why would a guy even consider letting a kid show an animal like this unless he is on an ego trip and needs that blue ribbon
He's 77 years old. That makes him an expert. NOT. He's an idiot.

ok guys he was going to pull the calf from the show an his granddughter wouldnt haear of it.so he took the calf to the show.an she was able to show it w/o a prob.the calf placed last an brought a $1.95 a lb.

bigbull338":1krbv7pi said:
ok guys he was going to pull the calf from the show an his granddughter wouldnt haear of it.so he took the calf to the show.an she was able to show it w/o a prob.the calf placed last an brought a $1.95 a lb.
thats more like it,, sounds like a happy ending :cowboy:

the problem did not occur in the last week.....unless the steer was just started to be handled in the last week.

I sold a heifer to a kid and the heifer got a little hot. they had her stalled up in a horse barn like a horse. I traded her for a heifer not quite as good but very quiet and gentle. she didn't mind the horses and they gave her an exercise lot. the young gal still won her class with the quiet one. My son has the original heifer now and she might have calved by now. Lady I know involved with the show said the whole county was glad I took the original back as no one else could have even competed with her in a little county show.

My point here is that the week of the show is not the time to address these problems or raise them. should have been done months ago. disposition should be one of the factors in selecting a calf and not just the showiness. Drugs for the calf are not the proper answer. Just like drugs for the kids are not the answer. they picked a poor steer and need to widen the selection criteria.

breed is not the problem....there is just as much genetic variation within most major breeds as there is between breeds. cattle reflect the disposition of their owner to a large extent. angus generally can be a little more rapid than a hereford. but I had a gurnsey milk cow try to kill me one time. Fortunately for me she missed with those horns but she stuck em in the wall I jumped over.

Our shows are in July, we start working our calves in October, Start by halter breaking and tying, rinsing and combing, they usually do not really lead at first it's more of herd or push, they learn to lead just by moving from here to there. The more they fight the longer it takes before they get kicked out into their run. They learn pretty fast that if you just go along with the program you get to be free quicker. When they go to teach them to set-up it is the same way, moved from pen to alleyway, kids work with the show stick, the quicker the calf sets up and behaves the quicker he gets let loose. Helps in the ring.
By the end the kid gets them set up and starts using the show stick he can bull the halter off walk around them and then walk away, they will stand there until he stops working the show stick. Patience and persistence. (the youngest boy also has that way about him, the animals just relax around him)

He has the month old calf where he can get him to freeze with the show stick, will come in handy when we go to halter break him, chances are he'll get the stick on him and we can halter him as he stands there.

the main prob with the steers those kids raise is they dont spend the time getting them gentle an calm.nor do they break them to lead or lead them everyday.their grandpa does what work is done with them,an the kids might mess with them for a week or so before the show.

bigbull338":1qg6rxd1 said:
the main prob with the steers those kids raise is they dont spend the time getting them gentle an calm.nor do they break them to lead or lead them everyday.their grandpa does what work is done with them,an the kids might mess with them for a week or so before the show.

Seen that before..usually rich kids. Kids don't learn a dam thing. Daddy or grandpa do all the work, spend all the money and then buy the calf at the sale usually. Kid turns out to be worthless and I don't know what dad and grandpa get out of it.

TexasBred":2a0j5rv0 said:
bigbull338":2a0j5rv0 said:

Seen that before..usually rich kids. Kids don't learn a dam thing. Daddy or grandpa do all the work, spend all the money and then buy the calf at the sale usually. Kid turns out to be worthless and I don't know what dad and grandpa get out of it.

That's the whole trend these days. Store bought steer and it is fed cooked corn. Know a guy that does it for his kids every day. They have no interest. Feel sorry for the dude.

Every time I read about show steers, I get that picture in my head. Sad, what it has become. It seems an honest kid showing what came off the farm doesn't stand a chance. There are a few honest ones out there too.

There are 2 side to that Backhoe, I know several kids who raise their own, they pick 4 or 5 out of the herd put then in a pen, feed the heck out of them, a week before the fair pick the best one out and try to get it halter broke. They are doing no more than the rich kids you talked about; just nobody else is doing anything else either.

A good friends kids show cattle, they go to county, state, Denver and have shown at Cow Palace, Arizona National and once to Kansas. The kids do 95% percent of the work I say 95 because occasionally they have something that comes up where they aren't home to do it. The last 3 months before county and state fairs they are up at 5 am to feed rinse and blow out cattle, They spend about an hour in the morning, then at around 4 p.m. they are back at it rinsing and blowing out, at 6 they go blow out the calves more, work the hair, fill feed bunks. The calves are kicked out after dark. They spend 2 to 3 hours a day and also have other animal projects they work on. As the fairs get closer they spend more time on the animals each day. They win or place high often, did they pay more for a better steer yes (just like most pay more for a better bull) but they also put in the work, these calves may not be real would cattle but it is real world lessons in responsibility and hard work.

Showing cattle for some is a hobby, like roping, rodeo, or travel ball, all of these have one thing in common, and it takes hard work and dedication to win.

Latest posts