Your openion on urea in feed.

Help Support CattleToday:

Amo

Reaction score
Chambers, NE (125 miles W. of Souix City IA or 110
Tried searching and found 650 threads that delt with urea.

Got a couple of Crystalyx tubs today. $89 for 250# after tub return etc. He says consumption is going to run .5-.66 pound per head per day. Thought Id try a couple. Compare them to sweet pros. Price on them this year is $79 I think.

Just courious about peoples thoughts on urea. Id prefer natural, but if no super bad effects the price is right I guess. :2cents:

I have used Crystalyx tubs for several years and am very pleased. I use the fescuelyx high mag which last year cost 115. My amount per cow per day is only about .20.
I do think they have an all natural tub also but have not tried it.

The feed store that sold Crystalyx tubs charged a deposit the drums that it comes in.. I tried a few but didn't like the amount of urea being fed .. cows can only utilize so much urea .. and the rest goes to the grass... The tub I use now is 28% protein with 7% from urea ..

As long as the manufacturer sets the inclusion level at a safe level there shouldn't be any problem feeding urea but it does work better in a higher energy diet. Always a pretty good cost cutter as well.

have not used any in a good while but my old rule of thumb was no more than thirty percent of the total protein from NPN or urea.

we used liquid feed once with a high amount of urea screwed up our conception rate on the cattle big time. First and last time we used that type of feed. That was the only thing different in our management that year our embroyo guy said it was the urea that caused the bad conception.

Gizmom

gizmom":2qq562nr said:
we used liquid feed once with a high amount of urea screwed up our conception rate on the cattle big time. First and last time we used that type of feed. That was the only thing different in our management that year our embroyo guy said it was the urea that caused the bad conception.

Gizmom
Cattle probably grossly overconsumed the feed. Excessive "natural protein" can cause the same problems.

urea is completely useless an dangerious in any kind of cattle feed.i dont care if its feed tubbs or syrup its not good for cattle.if we use lick tubbs we use the all natural tubbs.i wont buy anything that contains urea in it.

bigbull338":3h4l188e said:
urea is completely useless an dangerious in any kind of cattle feed.i dont care if its feed tubbs or syrup its not good for cattle.if we use lick tubbs we use the all natural tubbs.i wont buy anything that contains urea in it.
Gonna give you the big :bs: :bs: on this one bull. Totally unsubstantiated and your "Opinion" only.

you doggoned right TB i hate that stuff,an most people with any sense wont buy any kind of feed with it in it.

I'm not an expert but most of everything I've read says some urea is useful in keeping the rumen healthy ... I guess that eliminates using urea on your hay fields also?

bigbull338":1ygfox3u said:
But you also need $.50 a # extra before you steer and dehorn as well. Poor managment.

inbredredneck":j5c7qllh said:
bigbull338":j5c7qllh said:
But you also need $.50 a # extra before you steer and dehorn as well. Poor managment.
how do you explain surviving this mess for 40yrs,an never selling out due to droughts.i bet if it gets bad for you youll foldup quick.

bigbull338":30ustivm said:
inbredredneck":30ustivm said:
bigbull338":30ustivm said:
how do you explain surviving this mess for 40yrs,an never selling out due to droughts.i bet if it gets bad for you youll foldup quick.
big difference in surviving and prospering. anybody who won't steer and dehorn for less than $.50 a # will never prosper

i never said i didnt make money running cattle,you assumed that.an your assuming is wrong.

bigbull338":n5b17b77 said:
you doggoned right TB i hate that stuff,an most people with any sense wont buy any kind of feed with it in it.
Well hate to tell you but those folks are not as smart as they think they are. I'll just leave it at that. But if you don't like it or are afraid of it by all means don't use it.

bigbull338":12w4x9il said:
inbredredneck":12w4x9il said:
bigbull338":12w4x9il said:
Lots of folks "survive"...only the good ones "prosper". Bull when I dairied I always used urea in the grain mix. At that time it saved me about $20 a ton for the grain mix alone. In my case that was over $120 a day. And no loss of milk, no herd health probelms, no fertility probelms. Just much more money at the end of the month/year.

well then i must be prospering pretty good since ive had to buy alot of equipment the last 2yrs.got to keep everything balanced.

Latest posts