Your favorite fence

Help Support CattleToday:

hrslvr

Reaction score
I would like to know what your prefered fence is and why. I am in the process of looking for land and would like to know what you like to use...now I don't mean the "if I were a trillionaire" fence you would build :D

I do not really like barbed wire as I have horses and have seen the results of a horse vs. barbed wire and won't have it on my place.

So the other options are....?

Thanks for your replies! :)

External fence: woven wire with 2 strands of barb on top, interior:high tensile hot wire

dun

dun":hkchvbms said:
External fence: woven wire with 2 strands of barb on top, interior:high tensile hot wire

dun

I'll second that motion. If possible, get high tensile woven wire. Easier to stretch and keep tight.

D.R. Cattle":2zofpqdj said:
dun":2zofpqdj said:

dun

I'll second that motion. If possible, get high tensile woven wire. Easier to stretch and keep tight.
are you talking about barbless wire like barbwire without the barbs?

High tensile wire Dun is talking about is a single fat wire with a bit of recoil to it. Pretty hard to break it, just bounces back. They do make field fence (woven wire) with the same high tensile materials now if you can find it. The old type likes to memorize the wound a cow's head or the tractor makes to it. New type just springs back after it's been hit. It's easier to stretch something tight when it's high tensile because when your braces and everything settles in, it's still tight kind of like a rubber band.

jkwilson":3dhppzlx said:
High Tensile without a doubt, but not for horses.

Nothing is horse proof. But the only way to do better than high tensile is horse fence. The woven wire with very small holes. Now your talkin some serious dough.

i thought woven wire was a grid of sorts. sorta like chicken wire, but not as close and much thicker?

Aero":1c4gimfb said:
i thought woven wire was a grid of sorts. sorta like chicken wire, but not as close and much thicker?

It's called by different names every where. Woven wire, hog wire, stock fence, field fence, it's all the same stuff. I can take a picture if you would like that may explain it better. Clumsy with words these days!

The only thing I've seen that's horse proof is a hole lined with rocks with a nice oak fire burning on top of it.

dun

Well i know a little about the high tensile & around here they call woven wire, net wire but why i ask the question about the wire is a neighbor thats from out west has a couple of horses that he ordered some barbless wire for a fence it looks like the heavy gauge redbrand without the barbs. he said they use it alot out west.

ALACOWMAN":1nrgdzhq said:
Well i know a little about the high tensile & around here they call woven wire, net wire but why i ask the question about the wire is a neighbor thats from out west has a couple of horses that he ordered some barbless wire for a fence it looks like the heavy gauge redbrand without the barbs. he said they use it alot out west.

I've seen it. I just can't figure why someone would use that instead of high tensile wire.

Aero":2n04204s said:

Aero are you thinking of welded wire. It has 2"x4" rectangles and looks "grid" like. We used it for chicken and tomato cages.

I like a 4 wire barb fence and then run a single hot wire on the inside of the fence. I put the hot wire about 3.5 feet off the ground and it is mounted on 16" fence stays. for a 1/2 mile streatch I used 12 of these insulated stays they get nailed onto the fence posts. Don't have horses but it sure worked for the cows.

I like 3 wire high-tensile fence posts 40-65 ft apart with heavy duty corners.. The wildlife here seems to go through them with out wrecking them If i leave a little slack on the wires.

Kinda like Frenchie, only 4 wire high tensile, with the top 3 hot and the bottom ground (when the grass grows up, it hits the ground and second wire, shorts and then burns off). I use 40 foot spacing on the posts, and keep it just tight enough to easily get 2 feet side to side play in between the posts (when you grab it with your hand and move it side to side).

Rod

Three wire barbed wire fence. Less maintenance and them damn antelope can go through them without breakin the bottom wire.

Latest posts