Your Choice - which one would you pick?

Help Support CattleToday:

I think you might be a little confused - #2 sacrifices some capacity to #1, and #1 sacrifices bone to #2.

balance and broody are not quantifiable terms just as we speak about sappy calves, sire's outlook, easy keeper etc. its something you develop an eye for.

but if you want to try and assess balance, you divide the animal into three sections. the forequarter (shoulders and forward), the mid section (from the back of the shoulder to the hip) and the rear quarter (from the hips back). Each of these should be the same length and 'size' in the balanced animal. If you do this with the second heifer she comes out pretty favourably. if you do it with the first heifer, she has a shortened rear quarter and a longer midsection.

Broodiness can incorporate a range of maternal factors but ultimately its a 'cowy' look. Some heifers look like heifers and some look like little cows. The second heifer has a very 'cowy' look to her, and following on from that she appears to have greater pelvic capacity, a better shoulder and more femininity. so as I said its a combination of factors.

jscunn":274g3r9a said:
Keren,
You are correct both heifers are Approx 14 months old in thier respective pictures..

I'd like to see a picture of their mothers.

Gizmom,
Cattle have to be there this afternoon, show is tomorrow. Heifers show alittle after noon (~1) I think. Steers in the morning 10:30 or 11:00. 21 Heifers this year are in the show, largest group ever. I hope you can make it to the show, I have a few things I would like to get your opinion on.

BTW you would like the first one better, deeper, soggier, looks more like the females you flush and buy flushes on, ours is not as good, but the same type female.

Keren,
I can only post a picture of the second ones mother, but she isnt anything special either. The only thing exceptional about her mother is her disposition, it is really really good.

Scott,
I like the first calf. But both calves are really good. I want to come to the show tomorrow but we are moving into our new house so want be able to make it. Hope yall do well!!

Jacob,
Congrats on the new house.

The heifers will be the same regardless of 1st or last place. Nothing special that is for sure. I like the way the first one is built, the second one is nice too but not a pretty as the first one.

Come by the barn they will be there after the show. Good luck on the new house, sorry you wont get out there this weekend.

I really do like them both, but you know me well and I just love those deep soggy kind of cows. I am really excited for the association to have so many heifers that is awesom. I agree with an earlier post that said you could show both the heifers and depending on the judge flip flop them every show lol they are both good but have some differences it will all depend on who's opinion your getting on a given day. If I was judging I would have to go with #1 but only because that is my kind of heifer I really do like them both. Best of luck in the show you should really do well.

Gizmom

New Pics from today..

804and9203show.jpg

Sept 2008 Heifer (804) on the left, Feb 2009 Heifer (9203) on the right

9203showapr10.jpg

9203 February 2009 Heifer

804showapr10.jpg

804 September 2008 Heifer

Official Decision: 9203 deeper ribbed, cleaner fronted heifer, he did tell me at on time he had the 804 in front but decided to go with the 9203 heifer. Like the width of top and overall size of the 804, didnt think there was much he would change about her except clean her up in the front end, basically said she was a little short necked for him. The 9203 was the Supreme Champion overall, which was a surprise because there was a really nice feminine Shorthorn heifer there. The Shorthorn beat the 804 and another heifer of ours for reserve supreme.

Latest posts