Young heifer with fast resporatory rate

Help Support CattleToday:

SouthFla

Reaction score
Hi.

I just purchased my first two head of beef cattle at an auction.

Both 400 lbs when purchased 29 days ago ( one red, one black.)

The red one had more flesh and the black one a slightly larger frame than the red. The black showed a few ribs but not much spine.

I started both slow on a dairy mix 16% grain ( 1 pound at 8 am and 1 pound at 8 pm.) and increased slightly each day over three (3) weeks.

I have a couple of acres of pasture and basically provide hay free choice.

I noticed that the black one would cough every now and then when eating the grain.

I didn't think much of it at first. Just thought the animal was catching some corn cob pieces in her throat and not used to the grain.

She's gaining weight but doesn't feed as long as the red.

Then I noticed that she was breathing more rapidly than the red one ( 60 breaths per 70 seconds .)

I wormed with Ivermectin and did three (3) days of Aureomycin.

The cough seems to have improved slightly but the breathing is still rapid.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I would be more concerned about lung damage having already occured then just hoping that if she doesn;t have a temp there is nothing wrong. Have someone with a stethoscope that knows what they're doing take a listen to her lungs.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Since I was having trouble finding a local cattle vet I could get on the phone, I called a vet I went to school with in Arkansas that has treated cattle for over twenty (20) years and he advised sounds like BRD and suggested 30 cc Nuflor. Thinks I may possibly have a “poor doer” or “chronic.”

However, talking to a couple of local ranchers here in south Florida both think lungworms and state that sometimes one dose of Ivermectin is not enough.

I have a local vet coming out tonight to take a look.

I’ll post the outcome.

Thanks again.

SouthFla":3tpqdhtu said:
Thinks I may possibly have a “poor doer” or “chronic.”

My guess also. Lung damage from previous illness.

Wife's best heifer from this year is in the sell pen as we speak. Refuses to shed out and has rapid breathing, gets hot quick. Didn't really notice it until weaning time, gave Micotil and some others then but she's a lunger. I don't have any record of her having any respiratory illness as a calf. Shame, she's one of the best from this year with our best genetics.

cfpinz

Animal has no active BRD.

Has lung damage from a previous episode of BRD.

Vet says she may possibly grow out of it.

Going to fatten as best as possible and slaughter.

Latest posts