young heifer sick

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Need some help...have a 2 1/2 yr old heifer, don't believe she is breed yet.. found her yesterday laying down..no signs of swelling anywhere..nose is pink with moisture droplets so I don't believe she is dehydrated...she is not eating much or drinking...won't even eat range cubes which she normally loves..she is isolating herself from herd..when she walk and breaths it sounds like she is grunting...what could this be??
:?: :?:

If she is breathing abnormally (noisy breathing ), my first thought is usually Pneumonia, especailly with all the extreme weather changes--which can stress cattle.

If she is laying down--can you take her temp ?
or can you get her into a better place inorder to take her temp ?

A thermometer can give you a clue as to how serious her issue is.

If she has a high temp, call your vet.

Keep us posted on your progress,

Tried to get her to corral earlier today but she is not going for it...she runs and gets into tank so we can't corral her... ( smart one eh? :D )
She is urinating and having bowel movements this evening and I managed to get her to eat off a bale of hay. She was not grunting as bad tonight as she was this morning...heard her belch a few times...but she doesn't seem bloated. Her breathing isn't rapid or raspy. It almost sounds as if it hurts when she walks..hence the grunting sound.

That was one of my suspicions...but don't know what it might be...am in central texas and the weather here has been hot and cold alot...
neighbor said it might be grass tetany?? any opinions..?

If your grass is like ours is, and I'm assuming it is since I'm also in central Texas, it may be grass tetany. With all the rain and recent warm temps, haven't your pastures jumped in the past few days? Do you have a lot of clover that's come up quickly?

Thanks for all the input..it is much appreciated...the patient seems to be a mite better this morning..actually grazed some..I do believe she had a belly ache..am going to keep her separated from herd another day just to be on the safe side...walked all the pastures last evening and we did have a bit of clover popping up where I found her that looked like it had been eaten on..
Thanks again for everyone's help! :D :)

Latest posts