Young calves

Help Support CattleToday:

I've got an opportunity to pick up some young calves and was wondering if anyone has used a dairy cow to sustain young calves? If so, do they let the valves suck or is it hit or miss?
I used to raise dairy calves on nurse cows. It depends on the cow, some are easy to work with and some are nightmares. If the cow is nursing her own calf it usually makes it much easier to get other calves on her too. I let the cows in a stall with the calves and they nursed while she ate. It's also easier if the calves are strong and forward trying to nurse. If they are unsure or timid then some cows will not react well to that and can scare them even more.

I used to raise dairy calves on nurse cows. It depends on the cow, some are easy to work with and some are nightmares. If the cow is nursing her own calf it usually makes it much easier to get other calves on her too. I let the cows in a stall with the calves and they nursed while she ate. It's also easier if the calves are strong and forward trying to nurse. If they are unsure or timid then some cows will not react well to that and can scare them even more.
Thanks for that info

I've got an opportunity to pick up some young calves and was wondering if anyone has used a dairy cow to sustain young calves? If so, do they let the valves suck or is it hit or miss?
Not much to go on with what you posted, to be able to offer any real usable advice.. How many calves are you getting? Getting them all the same day? How old are these calves? If over a day old, how have they been fed so far? Why are they without mommas?

Good questions. They are about a week ole and there's 2 calves. Yes I got them all the same day. Mothers passed during birth on one of my buddys farm. So far they are taking to a couple of my cows but was looking to get a dairy cow to get them through the next few months and maybe to keep for the future in case something like this happens again

Good questions. They are about a week ole and there's 2 calves. Yes I got them all the same day. Mothers passed during birth on one of my buddys farm. So far they are taking to a couple of my cows but was looking to get a dairy cow to get them through the next few months and maybe to keep for the future in case something like this happens again
how many cows do you have running with the two calves that you just got? If they are nursing on cows already, do they seem content with what they are robbing from other cows? I ended up with a set of twins and two calves that moms got culled this year. calves learn at an early age to rob what is available. all seem to be doing fine. my advise would be to let them nurse on the cows you have with them now. buying a dairy cow just to nurse calves incase you need her has too many variables involved to make it work. If you keep her as a dairy cow, are you going to breed her back? if yes, will she be in sync with your beef cows and if she is a good dairy cow, she will produce more milk than one calf will need (so now you are looking to buy a calf that nurses to help prevent mastitis problems.) if not breeding her back, she will not produce milk for ever without a dry period and calving herself. You will also have an extra cow to feed and care for.

how many cows do you have running with the two calves that you just got? If they are nursing on cows already, do they seem content with what they are robbing from other cows? I ended up with a set of twins and two calves that moms got culled this year. calves learn at an early age to rob what is available. all seem to be doing fine. my advise would be to let them nurse on the cows you have with them now. buying a dairy cow just to nurse calves incase you need her has too many variables involved to make it work. If you keep her as a dairy cow, are you going to breed her back? if yes, will she be in sync with your beef cows and if she is a good dairy cow, she will produce more milk than one calf will need (so now you are looking to buy a calf that nurses to help prevent mastitis problems.) if not breeding her back, she will not produce milk for ever without a dry period and calving herself. You will also have an extra cow to feed and care for.
Thank you! That all makes sense. They are running with about 25 head right now and seem to be doing pretty well so like the ole saying goes, " if it ain't broke don't fix it". I'll continue to keep an eye on them and hopefully after a couple months they'll be good to go on some nice summer grass

Latest posts