Young calf question

Help Support CattleToday:

Mike M

Reaction score
I started weaning two 6 month old heifer calves, they were seperated by a corral fence but were able to see and get close to the mother cows without nursing. Here is my question: I had no choice but to stop the weaning processs because of a probelm and had to release the heifers back to the pasture. They have all looked and acted fine since the return but I have not seen them nursing at all, is this normal or do i have a pending problem. They are both eating feed just fine since thats all they had for 8 days and I have plenty grass and they are eating and grazing fine but i thought they would start nursing immedaitly but hasnt happened. Any input would be appreciated.

sounds like they ed theirselves doing the 8 days you had them in the corral.most of the time it takes 30 to 45 days to wean them from sucking their momma.so its normal for them not to suck their mommas.

I had a calf get weaned in a matter of hours once. Strangest thing, but I can't complain!

Mike M":11r1d5wv said:
I started weaning two 6 month old heifer calves, they were seperated by a corral fence but were able to see and get close to the mother cows without nursing. Here is my question: I had no choice but to stop the weaning processs because of a probelm and had to release the heifers back to the pasture. They have all looked and acted fine since the return but I have not seen them nursing at all, is this normal or do i have a pending problem. They are both eating feed just fine since thats all they had for 8 days and I have plenty grass and they are eating and grazing fine but i thought they would start nursing immedaitly but hasnt happened. Any input would be appreciated.

No, this is not the normal outcome for your set of circumstances, but it does happen - I think the biggest factor is the calf, cow, and how quickly they adjust to being seperated. As far as future problems are concerned, as long as the two calves are eating good and not nursing, all is well. Mom will continue to dry off, and the calves will continue to grow. Good luck with them!

Latest posts