Young Bull Breeding......

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
One of our heifers was bred. The only possible sire would have been a 5 month old bull calf. The vet stated it is very possible and happens a lot a the feed lots. Has anyone else dealt with a young calf breeding heifers?

:eek: yes, we had to abort some not quite yearling heifers that were bred by their not quite yearling brothers. We banded all
the bull calves this year to alleviate this problem. :roll:

Yes, it happens. Not that terribly often, but it certainly can. Lots of heifer calves will get bred by the herd bull if he isn't pulled, or by the neighbours bull ;-)

ffamom":15h9kimp said:
One of our heifers was bred. The only possible sire would have been a 5 month old bull calf. The vet stated it is very possible and happens a lot a the feed lots. Has anyone else dealt with a young calf breeding heifers?

If a 4-5 month old heifer can mature, cycle, be serviced and settle - why couldn't a 4-5 month old bull achieve early sexual maturation? I have not seen a case where a 5 month old bull has bred a heifer, but I have seen cases where a 4-5 month old heifer cycled, was bred, and settled. Granted, it doesn't happen often, but it can happen. Just my thoughts.

As msscamp says, it doesn't hapen often but it does happen enough to be aware of it.
You need to abort the hfr.

la4angus":34myow1c said:
As msscamp says, it doesn't hapen often but it does happen enough to be aware of it.
You need to abort the hfr.

How old is the heifer? How close is the realtionship between the hfr and bull?

Alan

The heifer was bred at 10 months. We did abort the calf. Thank you for the response. I would have never guessed that a 5 month old bull calf was physically able to reach the proper location as well as being fertile.

You got to watch those young heifers lots of them are mature enough to breed at 8 to 10 mo. I have not heard of a 5 to 6 mo old bull being mature enough to breed. They have the hormones and want to try, but just not sexually mature enough to breed.

mnmt