You Think

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":1zzgivsi said:
Its hard to tell with game camera pics but I think the first one will go 13". He needs at least one, maybe two more years. Second deer needs about 3 yrs still.

That second deer will be lucky to make 13 inches if he lives to be a 100.
He will just get heavier and taller. Woods are full of high horn racks not wide
I will bet some yahoo will take out this 2 year old with some potential.

Ya I hear you. Its not perfect but it has helped a lot of areas. I keep hoping they will add some thing to the regulations to take in those deer that will never make it.

The reason I say that first deer is fairly young is his kneck and brisket area does not appear to be deleveloped to that of a 4-5yr old deer in the picture.

CB I have a lot of bucks with the tall narrow horns. Don't know that they will ever get to 13 inches or not but awfully pretty. Been feeding steady and they look the same this year as last year. That one in the dark looks like he might be just barely wide enough.

TexasBred":1z2p72bi said:
CB I have a lot of bucks with the tall narrow horns. Don't know that they will ever get to 13 inches or not but awfully pretty. Been feeding steady and they look the same this year as last year. That one in the dark looks like he might be just barely wide enough.

I can't get the TPWD to understand if all we leave is these bucks how
are we going to get bigger bucks. We are killing the wrong bucks here.

Here in Mississippi they have to have either a minimum spread or a minimum main beam length on one side. The minimums vary in different hunting zones across the state. This makes those older bucks with narrow or tight racks legal.

For instance where I live a legal buck must have either a minimum spread of 10 inches or a minimum main beam length of 13 inches. In another part of the state it's a 12 inch spread or a 15 inch main beam.

The key here is either/or not both.

Brute 23":ulfrafsi said:
Before the 13" rule would you have seen those two bucks or would they have been shot last year?

Brute the problem here is we don't have wide genetics period.
The deer have evolved to high tight racks for the Thicket.
TPWD is never going to get what they want when it wasn't here to start with.
Myself and I know of quite a few more in talks with the State Rep have said screw it and gave up
leases. I kill time sitting on a deer stand on my place might get lucky.
I go to Central Texas to kill deer.
Told the wife I am thinking about giving deer hunting up I am so tired of the BS,
most of the neighbors already have. Every neighbor was on the lease we had for years
all have gotten off. What does that tell you.
I think this was the goal in the beginning.

Caustic Burno":20u6kj9s said:
Brute 23":20u6kj9s said:
Before the 13" rule would you have seen those two bucks or would they have been shot last year?

Brute the problem here is we don't have wide genetics period.
The deer have evolved to high tight racks for the Thicket.
TPWD is never going to get what they want when it wasn't here to start with.
Myself and I know of quite a few more in talks with the State Rep have said screw it and gave up
leases. I kill time sitting on a deer stand on my place might get lucky.
I go to Central Texas to kill deer.
Told the wife I am thinking about giving deer hunting up I am so tired of the BS,
most of the neighbors already have. Every neighbor was on the lease we had for years
all have gotten off. What does that tell you.
I think this was the goal in the beginning.

If you have a shed or barn with doors that close where you can process a deer... Why care what the gov't says you should do. I manage my own land. I know what needs to be done more so than they do. Personally think you should do what you want.

Virginia's rule on Antlered deer
Antlered Deer
•Antlered deer must have antlers visible above the hairline.

The deer that is shoulder mount was aged by tooth at 3.5 years old I was surprised that he was that young as he scored 200 gross. He had amazing mass, first circumference 8in and last 6in largest cir 10 6/8 with 19 7/8 spread

Hard to top this one

Latest posts