Yearlings losing weight

Help Support CattleToday:

I have heard of several producers in my area having the same symptoms. Weight loss, watery manure, etc, etc. They never went off feed, just did poor and went down hill. To me it looks like Johnes, but these cattle were too young. All around a year or less. Wet weather, flooded grass, and pastured on strip mined ground seemed to point to the cause.

I have a 13 month heifer that sounds exactly like what you've described. Do you know if there is a vaccine available
for this type a? I gave her worm medicine and a booster of convexin 8 last week. There hasn't been any change as of yet.
Thanks for any help

There is only 1 vaccine available that I know of for Type A. The normal 7 way that we give is C&D. I'll include the info on what I found about it. Salmonella is also available, but I believe my vet said it is only in the 50% effective range. Our lab results came back that aureomycin would work, so we went with a round of that.

Clostridium Perfringens Type A Toxoid
Other products by Novartis/Elanco Products Co.

* Protects against Cl. perfringens Type A
* See 'Other Info' for Conditional License state restrictions
* This product may be suitable for use on organic farms;
please confirm with your certifier before using

Clostridium Perfringens Type A Toxoid from Novartis - for use in healthy cattle as an aid in the control of disease syndromes caused by the alpha toxin (Type A) of Cl. perfringens. Cl. perfringens Type A is implicated in serious and often deadly gastrointestinal diseases, including hemorrhagic bowel syndrome (HBS), that can cause sudden death of dairy and beef cows and calves. The first conditionally licensed Cl. perfringens Type A vaccine for cattle. Produces double the level of international antitoxin units per ml as required by the USDA. Dosage: 2 ml subcutaneously, repeat in 2-4 weeks. Calves vaccinated before 5 months of age should be revaccinated at 5-6 months. Revaccinate annually. 21 day slaughter withdrawal.

Thank you the information. I will get right on trying to locate some local.
Was the aureomycin preventative or a cure?

Sorry this happened to you. Thank you for the update. Good to have finally found an answer.

gbfarm said:
Thank you the information. I will get right on trying to locate some local.
Was the aureomycin preventative or a cure?
Aureomycin was a little of both. Treatment on anything that may have had salmonella, and hopefully knock it out on anything that wasn't showing any signs. From what I've been told, it is difficult to treat salmonella, but our lab results showed that what we had was susceptible to it.

Thanks. I have a appointment with my vet on Thursday.
I wouldn't be surprised to find the same thing

Latest posts