Yearling heifer vaccinations?

Help Support CattleToday:

makemfat

Reaction score
Being fairly new to having a "herd", I was wondering what everyone thought the proper vaccinations would be for yearling heifers. I am starting a "keeper" herd, and I want everyone as healthy as possible. A few bucks more or less per head is a wise investment, I think. I was just wanting to know what most folks use. I am changing from a small time stocker/feeder operation, and it's a completely different world. Those I gave shots when first arrived, and then only as needed after that. Thanks in advance!

What part of the world are you in? We use the Pfizer Gold program, we vaccinate before the heifers are bred. May be best to talk to your vet about what you specifically need in your area, but I would highly recommend going modified live... they have been far more effective for us than killed vaccines.

I ditto the MLV.
Not sure where you at with "yearlings". We vaccinate all breeding age cattle 2-4 weeks PRIOR to breeding, with BoviShield 5L5.
But, prior to that, all calves receive two sets of shots during the summer (while nursing) with MLV about 4 weeks apart - than again after weaning. (BS5L5, a clostridial & a pasteurella) BUT, you CANNOT vaccinate nursing calves with MLV unless the dam was vaccinated - only Pfizer products are labled to do that.
So, the shot the cows get prior to breeding, is a yearly booster. If your heifers are getting their first set of shots, be sure to give it to them twice, 4 weeks apart (or whatever is recommended for the product you use) even if you use a MLV. No vaccine guarantees 100% immunity from 1 shot - usually more like 80%, so the 2nd shot will/should take care of the 20% that didn't "take" to the 1st shot.
Killed vaccines cost more, must vaccinate 2nd booster shot to get ANY immunity, and is only good for about 6 months. A waste of time & money to me.

Why not let a vet decide? I suggest the idea of a twice a year vet visit as preventive medicine. They know what's important in your area, wherever that is.

If you don't already have a working relationship with "a" vet, then, yes, you really should have one out & discuss what your plans and needs are with him/her and get their recommendations for YOUR area. But, realistically, once you are in good terms with a vet, they shouldn't be needed for routine shots.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":laj4shi1 said:
If you don't already have a working relationship with "a" vet, then, yes, you really should have one out & discuss what your plans and needs are with him/her and get their recommendations for YOUR area. But, realistically, once you are in good terms with a vet, they shouldn't be needed for routine shots.
Exactly!!

I just vaccinated some yearling replacement hfrs
they were vaccinated with Bovisheild Gold 5 and One shot Ultra 7 at weaning and I shot them 2 weeks ago with spirovac VL5 and will booster it next week that will be all the Vacc they get til next yr before breeding

I'm a little confused with people who say killed vaccines cost more. Does it actually cost more per dose in your area? For me it costs $4.13 for a dose of Wyeth Triangle 9 (killed) and $4.63 for Pfizer Gold FP VL5 (ML). As far as I know, animals introduced to the ML program are given two shots and an annual booster...same as killed vaccines. :cowboy:

For our replacements we vaccinate for vibrio and lepto along with the normal stuff before breeding season. Then that's the only vaccination they get every year after that.
Some folks also do the bangs vaccination before they're a year old

Thanks guys. Definitely food for thought. Was attempting to avoid a costly vet bill if possible by doing it all myself. I'm set up with proper head gate, chutes, etc., and have been giving shots to calves with no problems.....so, I figured if I could find out what I needed to give them I would save a bit of money, but I guess the one trip of a vet wouldn't be too outrageous. And the question as to what part of the world I'm in....the part that hasn't given shots to heifers before!lol And again....thanks all!

Aaron":35dbj6hm said:
I'm a little confused with people who say killed vaccines cost more. Does it actually cost more per dose in your area? For me it costs $4.13 for a dose of Wyeth Triangle 9 (killed) and $4.63 for Pfizer Gold FP VL5 (ML). As far as I know, animals introduced to the ML program are given two shots and an annual booster...same as killed vaccines. :cowboy:
Aaron - used to be, "they" would recommend one shot of MLV - but, now, "they" say 1 shot will give adequate protection\immunity but no shots give 100% coverage on all animals for whatever reason, so "they" recommend two shots and annual boosters. And the BRSV always needed the booster, so not much more $$ to use the full gamet of vaccine vs just the BRSV - the biggest thing is the TIME it takes, so we always went with full dose twice. Killed ALWAYS needed two shots, so when comparing giving a shot once vs twice made a big difference cost wise.
Looking up in the PBS catalog - BS GoldFP 5 L5 , it would be $16.69 for 10 doses (1.70) and Fort DodgeTriange 9 + type II BVD (these should be same coverage) 10 doses $18.0 ($1.80). So they are pretty close in prices & depending on where you purchased them, could be closer.
But, killed vaccines (even after the 2 shots) only give months worth of protection (so I've been told many times) and the MLV gives you the full year. Vets in our area say to vaccinate spring & fall if you use killed. Some research says they "think" MLV gives LIFETIME protection. I'm not willing to risk it, I booster each year.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":9bzenzfc said:
Aaron":9bzenzfc said:
Aaron - used to be, "they" would recommend one shot of MLV - but, now, "they" say 1 shot will give adequate protection\immunity but no shots give 100% coverage on all animals for whatever reason, so "they" recommend two shots and annual boosters. And the BRSV always needed the booster, so not much more $$ to use the full gamet of vaccine vs just the BRSV - the biggest thing is the TIME it takes, so we always went with full dose twice. Killed ALWAYS needed two shots, so when comparing giving a shot once vs twice made a big difference cost wise.
Looking up in the PBS catalog - BS GoldFP 5 L5 , it would be $16.69 for 10 doses (1.70) and Fort DodgeTriange 9 + type II BVD (these should be same coverage) 10 doses $18.0 ($1.80). So they are pretty close in prices & depending on where you purchased them, could be closer.
But, killed vaccines (even after the 2 shots) only give months worth of protection (so I've been told many times) and the MLV gives you the full year. Vets in our area say to vaccinate spring & fall if you use killed. Some research says they "think" MLV gives LIFETIME protection. I'm not willing to risk it, I booster each year.

That's the first time I have heard T9 more expensive than Bovishield...although we get hosed up here for meds. A 10 dose of Bovishield Gold FP5 up here is $46.30 for 10 dose from the vet, compared to your $16.69. Killed always needs two shots when bringing new animals into the program from a different herd. After that, according to vet and Wyeth, it's one dose annually for breeding animals. I find it hard to believe that killed vaccines only give a few months of protection. If so, that makes me a little scared as too the immune system of cattle nowadays. Know of any research on comparison of killed and MLV treatments in cattle?

I can't put my fingers on a specific article that relates that info. I know I've printed several different articles about it and Cornell Univ & my vet has recommended 2-3 times a year if using Killed vaccine.
Here's a quote from an article I printed:
By W. Mark Hilton, DVM, Beef Cattle, Purdue, Univ.
"(1) noninfectious vaccines (killed) generally require multiple doses (2 - 6 weeks apart) t immunize and one dose has no benefit at all, i.e. vaccinating pregnant cows once yearly with killed vaccine does nothing.
(2) the immunity generated by noninfectious vaccines is short-lived, requiring boosters every fewmonths to 1 year apart for maintenance;
(3) noninfectious vaccines do not stimulate local immunity at all and either do not stimulate or poorly stimulate cellular immunity

and here's some related info:

http://beefmagazine.com/health/vaccinat ... ng_calves/
Are You Vaccinating Calves Or Shooting Blanks?
Sep 1, 2007 12:00 PM, By Burt Rutherford Senior Editor
"He says to consult with your veterinarian on vaccine selection, because every operation is unique, with its own medical histories, environment and management. However, he strongly advises to avoid killed vaccines."
"Killed viral products do not appear to stimulate the immune system to produce an immune response durable enough to withstand the high-exposure environment of feedyards," Peirce says. In fact, he goes so far as to say that if killed products are used, he doesn't want your calves."

http://beefmagazine.com/health/vaccinat ... ase_wrong/
Right Disease Wrong Vaccine
Apr 1, 2006 12:00 PM, By Wes Ishmael Contributing Editor
"Many producers are well versed in the tradeoffs between using killed (inactivated) and modified-live virus (MLV) vaccines. Generally, killed vaccines work by stimulating humoral immunity — where viral or bacterial antigens induce an immune response. The result is the production of antibodies that circulate in the bloodstream and bind with the disease-causing bacteria or virus and neutralize them.
MLV vaccines, on the other hand, stimulate cell-mediated immunity (CMI), as well as humoral immunity. In simple terms, CMI works at the cellular level to destroy viruses that take over normal cellular function in order to replicate themselves.
Depending on how a particular disease organism works, killed vaccines may be sufficient. In other cases, MLV vaccines may be required to offer adequate protection. Hollis says a classic example is infectious bovine rhinotracheitis (IBR). Managing the disease requires CMI attacking and killing the virus within the cells; humoral immune response isn't effective by itself."
"Likewise, killed vaccines for calf scours require two injections. Labels on these products typically recommend two injections three weeks apart. What the labels don't tell you, Hollis points out, is the second injection needs to be given at least a week before calves will be exposed to the disease. Otherwise, there isn't enough time to mount an immune response.
That's why using killed products to vaccinate for BRD in un-weaned, commingled calves is like trying to douse a grassfire with a water pistol. By the time calves are vaccinated, the damage is done; they can't build immunity in time."

Well, it only took two weeks to get a vet to come to the farm! Not real happy with the results. Vet did fine with the horses, pulled blood for Coggins test, and floated teeth on the old mare.....but didn't seem very enthusiastic about dealing with cattle. When I asked what we were about to give them, he replyed with, " Seven way". Further questioning got nothing. I saw the syringes, and they all had slightly varied amounts in them. Only problem is, all three calves were exactly the same size. Guess that will teach me to trust a vet around here! I figure the deal on the local vets, is we are in a thorobred area. Local racetrack. Lots of thorobred race horse farms. Big name trainers. Big money. Cows don't make them any money compared to that. Guess I'll do it different next year!

makemfat":1w0azj0g said:
Well, it only took two weeks to get a vet to come to the farm! Not real happy with the results. Vet did fine with the horses, pulled blood for Coggins test, and floated teeth on the old mare.....but didn't seem very enthusiastic about dealing with cattle. When I asked what we were about to give them, he replyed with, " Seven way". Further questioning got nothing. I saw the syringes, and they all had slightly varied amounts in them. Only problem is, all three calves were exactly the same size. Guess that will teach me to trust a vet around here! I figure the deal on the local vets, is we are in a thorobred area. Local racetrack. Lots of thorobred race horse farms. Big name trainers. Big money. Cows don't make them any money compared to that. Guess I'll do it different next year!

Do you have any other ranchers in your area that run cattle? Ask them who they use - or if they would be willing to share their vaccination schedule with you. Or call around and ask the vets what vaccination schedule they would recommend for cattle and see if they would be willing to mail it (fax / scan) to you so you can compare.

Worth a shot I think (all pun clearly intended).

...7-way, as I'm sure you figured out or obtained a list of the shots he/she gave is a 7-way clostridial vaccination.

...7-way, as I'm sure you figured out or obtained a list of the shots he/she gave is a 7-way clostridial vaccination.

Latest posts