Wormer pellets in the feed

Help Support CattleToday:

OvertonAngus

Reaction score
How many have tried that and like it? I thought about using it some feed in between times of working the cows just to try to maintain control of worm problems. I know a local guy here who swears his cows won't eat it but he's the only one I know who's tried the wormer pellets. The ones I'm lookin at are the ones from TSC.

I use them. If you buy the liquid safe guard, you can just dribble it on what you are going to feed them. It's the same product, and cheaper that way. Sometimes I have a bull that won't fit in my headcatcher, and I just put some feed in a pan, and put the safeguard on it. I find him in the field, and just feed him there.

Don't know why his cattle wouldn't eat the pellets. Most are little more than alfalfa pellets with the wormer included. Use to be a mill over in East Texas that made wormer cubes. Haven't seen any in a while but cattle usually readily consume them and Safeguard does a pretty good job of worming.

Bigfoot":km92q3pr said:
I use them. If you buy the liquid safe guard

Hmmmm.....I didn't know it came in liquid form. I've not seen that. The next time I get to the co-op I'll have to ask them about it, either that or I will check the catalogs.

I've used the pellets many times when I have had one or two put up for one reason or another. Mine have always eaten the pellets. My hogs, on the other hand, I have had a few over the years that wouldn't touch the pellets until they were too darned hungry to avoid them!

I use safeguard pellets in certain situations and really like them. Gave a 25lb bag to some calves today that I have on feed that I'm selling next month, didn't really have them where I could drench or inject them again.

It'd be an off label use, so it may not be to everyone's liking. I have put the pour on wormers on feed, and had excellent results.

Bigfoot":r5szzs8r said:
It'd be an off label use, so it may not be to everyone's liking. I have put the pour on wormers on feed, and had excellent results.
That's good to know. I have very little faith in pour on wormers for de worming. I genrally drench with synanthic and then pour at the same time for the external stuff. But using pour on like your saying sounds like a good idea. Are you useing a alcohol or oil based pour on when doing this? And how much?

I had a dairy cross cow once that wouldn't eat them. I would mix it with some small pellet feed and she would stand there for an hour and pick around the pellets and leave the wormer in the bottom of the trough. She is the only one I have had like that.

Latest posts