Cattle wormer

Help Support CattleToday:

Its never as good as the injectable.
One of the vet members says pour on works if one cow licks it off another.
I also have some ivermectin injectable but it's 2+ years past due date but has been in icebox the whole time. Good or no good???
Had a vet to say both were probably ok if kept right.

If vet told you that its sure worth a try.
I hate to toss it out it it works. I guess I could try it and if I see no results, then toss it. I only want to do 2-3 maybe 4. I don't have a do it on schedule, just when it looks like it's needed.

If you're not comfortable doing your own fecal egg count, you can order kits online and ship off samples.
FEC imo, is the only way to determine if your cattle need wormed.
Why waste the time and money if you don't have to do it?
Is your treatment really effective ?
No guesswork.
Merck will send you an FEC kit for free.

If you're not comfortable doing your own fecal egg count, you can order kits online and ship off samples.
FEC imo, is the only way to determine if your cattle need wormed.
Why waste the time and money if you don't have to do it?
Is your treatment really effective ?
No guesswork.
Merck will send you an FEC kit for free.
The only way to go. Buy a used microscope and a few McMaster slides and know what's up. We have not wormed anything over 3 YO in decades. Calves used to get wormed 2X at weaning. I started doing FECs and none needed it except one on occasion. It got gone and the cow was shipped. I do miss the option of fly control with the pour-ons but that is OK. A glove is the way to take a lot of samples. Use it to pull a sample, pull it off with the sample on the fingers or palm, tie it shut, put a # on it and drop it in the cooler.

The only way to go. Buy a used microscope and a few McMaster slides and know what's up. We have not wormed anything over 3 YO in decades. Calves used to get wormed 2X at weaning. I started doing FECs and none needed it except one on occasion. It got gone and the cow was shipped. I do miss the option of fly control with the pour-ons but that is OK. A glove is the way to take a lot of samples. Use it to pull a sample, pull it off with the sample on the fingers or palm, tie it shut, put a # on it and drop it in the cooler.
I had goats for 10+ years and did my own fecals. I just need to check on the worm types of cows, as I have all the McMaster slides and flotation mix formulas for a salt mix and the scope. I assume also that if you see one drop a pile when in pasture you could collect then also for that particular animal. Sometimes I did goats that way and sometimes I just went in for it if I didn't see droppings pretty soon. Thanks

I had goats for 10+ years and did my own fecals. I just need to check on the worm types of cows, as I have all the McMaster slides and flotation mix formulas for a salt mix and the scope. I assume also that if you see one drop a pile when in pasture you could collect then also for that particular animal. Sometimes I did goats that way and sometimes I just went in for it if I didn't see droppings pretty soon. Thanks
You use a larger sample on cattle - 4 gm rather than 2 gm on sheep and goats. You can look for piles or collect direct from the source.

Latest posts