wormer

Help Support CattleToday:

gitnby

Reaction score
has anyone used the wormer that is added to minerial ..know safeguard makes 1 as well as couple others. was thinking of trying ,wondered if i'd be wasting my money?

With wormer added to mineral. Some cows may get the correct amount of wormer, some may not get any. Same way with safeguard blocks. Some big cows will hog them while the timid ones stay away.

I like injection wormers so I am sure they are all getting the correct amount.

Last edited:
Most minerals are formulated to be consumed at 3 to 4 ozs/day. The Safeguard feed is designed to be fed at pf 1 lb per 1000 lb of body weight.

With wormer added to mineral. Some cows may get the correct amount of wormer, some may not get any. Same way with safeguard blocks. Some big cows will hog them while the timid ones stay away.

I like injection wormers so I am sure they are all getting the correct amount.
I like injecting too, my son believes cubes work good, but common sense says they all won't get the same.
I use to alternate between injectable and drenching.

Beating my dead horse.
1) Adult cows don't generally need deworming.
2) Adult cows don't generally need deworming.
3) Adult cows don't generally need deworming.
4) Deworming the entire herd - and potentially 'underdosing' a significant portion of them, as likely happens with blocks/cubes - speeds you down the road to the parasites on that premises being selected for resistance to that entire class of anthelminthics.

Maybe you should have treated your horse for parasites. I think "generally" is the key word there.
Spend a couple years on the Oregon Coast. If you don't have pastures set up to do
a thorough job of rotation, you will have parasites. It does not get cold enough or hot enough here
to eliminate parasites. Some are more vulnerable to parasites than others.

Regardless of what folks want to think, it doesn't get hot or cold enough on this planet (other than in erupting volcanoes) to eliminate parasites. It's wishful thinking on folks' part.

The macrocyclic lactones (ivermectin, doramectin, moxidectin) have been so widely used that Ostertagia ostertagii, the most important stomach worm for adult cattle, is almost extinct on most premises; at least east of the Rockies.
I spent most of 40 years as a veterinary diagnostic pathologist, doing necropsies on cattle and 25 years of that time teaching parasitology to undergraduate students.
I have not seen a mature cow that died from 'worms' since back in the early 1990s. Disclaimer: I've never lived, practiced, or worked in a location where liver flukes were present.

Will cows have nematode parasites? Sure.
Will they be present, in a healthy cow, at levels that they impact health? NO... Unless you are in an area where liver flukes are an issue... in that case, regular treatment with an effective trematocidal drug is indicated.

has anyone used the wormer that is added to minerial ..know safeguard makes 1 as well as couple others. was thinking of trying ,wondered if i'd be wasting my money?
I give mine a pour-on wormer in the spring & an injection wormer in the fall...I put the safe-guard blocks in a trough with salt blocks (both brown & white) as a supplement...and as others mentioned, not all of them will get at the safe-guard blocks...have had very good results thus far...they love the molasses in those safe-guard deworming blocks...

I've used them occassionally, I just used one on some feeder heifers I bought that looked wormy, I had them by themselves and weighed the block to see when they consumed as much as they should. They were passing some worms within a day. I left it 3 days as directed and they consumed almost exactly what they should have so I pulled it. I wouldn't expect it to work with a herd as some will be gluttonous and some wouldn't get any. I don't worm all of my cattle, just young ones and fresh bought ones.

We back pour most of ours twice a year. We give injectable to all calves at weanIng and all replacements before being bred in the spring. Considering mixing Safe guard into the rotation.

I like injecting too, my son believes cubes work good, but common sense says they all won't get the same.
I use to alternate between injectable and drenching.
I mix the dewormer bag "measured contents for my allotment of cattle, plus 25% extra" into sweet feed that's sticky, twice a year.... so it's evenly distributed....pour into spacious feeders and watch all the cattle eat it up. Works well. per their weight and body size, mouth size they gobble it up pretty darn well equally plus with 25% overage. Bull at twice the weight is twice as aggressive eating. You don't know the %'s each get, but it's got to be close.

Never tried the mineral with wormer in it. We've used SafeGuard cubes with good results but fed them in troughs to yearlings that were used to eating from troughs. IMHO the wormer cubes are to expensive to pour on the ground.

The way I see it the only way to know for sure if cows need worming or not is to follow them around all day with a microscope. Wormer is cheap insurance if you already running them through the chute.

And we wonder why they took the antibiotics away from farmers!:confused:
Cool, i didn't think my cattle needed to be de-wormed, but everyone was applying it twice a year like clockwork. They're all heathy and fat. It'll save me money, that safe-guard is expensive. They get lots of lettuce and cabbage which I read was a natural antibotic for them.

Most in my area use pour on in the spring and injection in the fall or after first frost. I have never use pour on, always used injectable but I have bought some Cydectin to use this year. Still thinking about using the injectable on the calves, though.