Wormer question

Help Support CattleToday:

topstock

Reaction score
I have 2-3 2nd calf heifers that are rough looking. They lost bc before they had their first calves and never caught up. I think a good worming and Dr Green will help. What do you recommend for worming. They've had great calves so i know genetic potential is there, I think it was just poor mgt through that first winter.

You might to want to also give them some Multi-Min and some vitamins.

I bought a couple old cow pairs in mid March. They were from the same herd that was being sold because of a death. They were so poor looking I didn't even want to waste an eartag on them. One was SS and $625 the other was broke mouth and $720. Both had heifer calves about 10 days old. The wife looks at them and ask why would you buy those skinny &%@$ for? They look like they are ready to die in your pasture. Well I gave them the works. Injection wormer, Multi Min, a 7 way, and Vitamin E-AD. Today you wouldn't recognize them. Their hide has slicked off and is shiny. Their body score has gone up at least two notches and their udders have filled out. They are as calm as a lap dog.
I am not sure what they were deficient from but something evidentially worked.

I bought a couple old cow pairs in mid March. They were from the same herd that was being sold because of a death. They were so poor looking I didn't even want to waste an eartag on them. One was SS and $625 the other was broke mouth and $720. Both had heifer calves about 10 days old. The wife looks at them and ask why would you buy those skinny &%@$ for? They look like they are ready to die in your pasture. Well I gave them the works. Injection wormer, Multi Min, a 7 way, and Vitamin E-AD. Today you wouldn't recognize them. Their hide has slicked off and is shiny. Their body score has gone up at least two notches and their udders have filled out. They are as calm as a lap dog.
FOOD.

Ken

Good idea about the multi min. I'll do that and cydectin asap
FOOD.

Ken

Like Ken said...
You can feed your way through a (cattle)worm problem but you can't deworm your way out of a feed deficiency situation.
That said, if youstill feel you must deworm, give a combination of a ML dewormer like Cydectin and a benzimidazole(white) like Synanthic, Panacur/Safeguard, etc. both at the same time.
But... refrain from deworming the entire herd...the vast majority of those adult cows don't need or benefit from it, and doing so diminishes refuge and speeds you down the road to selecting for a population of resistant worms.

I definitely agree with the 2 prong approach Lucky recommended. I've had 2 vets who do nothing but cattle strongly suggest that approach. It pays off. Safeguard + Cydectin for me for the ones that need it in the spring.

I definitely agree with the 2 prong approach Lucky recommended. I've had 2 vets who do nothing but cattle strongly suggest that approach. It pays off. Safeguard + Cydectin for me for the ones that need it in the spring.
Thanks. Im going to do the cydectin/safeguard/multi min/ fresh, new pasture approach.