Wolf Attack

Help Support CattleToday:

I doubt that a donkey would run off a wolf.
At the time of our first calf loss I had a mare that would chase dogs and coyotes, she would chase any four legged cainine that was in her area. That morning she and our other horse were hiding in the bottom of the coulee behind our house. They were side by side facing opposite directions. Those horses stayed there for several hours and wouldn't even come to us. That wolf scared them pretty bad. She still chased coyotes though.

I was just reading in the Agri-News-- that where the Feds are delisting the wolves from the endangered species listing (that would make it easier to take care of problem wolves and even allow hunting permits if they get over populated in an area)- they figure the actual status on them might not change for years-- as they figure the greenie weenies and bunny huggers will be able to tie it up in court for the next 10 years... :(

Read that too. Cannot believe how easy it is to get something on that list and how hard it is to get it off.
I still say we need to reintroduce them into central park in New York City. I mean after all that was also part of their historic range. They would have to be radio collared and make sure that they do not leave the park. The people can enjoy them at their leasure, but they would have to watch their dogs closely though.

I luv herfrds":spyg4h0z said:
Jo yes sometimes they do return. If they are just moving through they kill, eat and move on.
It is not a pretty kill either. we would be prosucuted if we treated our animals the way a wolf kills an animal. If you watch the nature videos they always cut out the end part.
The attacks we had were by a single animal. They did not eat all of the calf. Just the hind quarter, flank and insides.
We watch our cows they let us know when they are around.

That doesn't sound like a wolf that sounds like a wild or domestic dog. wolves and Coyotes kill only what they need and eat it all most of the time. DNR in Iowa did research on weather it is coyotes or dogs that usually kill sheep. Turns out 75% of the time or so it is a dog. Dogs kill for sport. They tear and shred and chase and dont eat much from what they kill. They do it for sport.

I hate to tell you this Iowa, but a wolf will hamstring, disembowel and eat its prey while it is still alive. I have seen it twice. Now if these kills were done by a pack of coyotes they would have eaten everything. I know the difference between them since I have seen both.
The two calves we lost had the guts gone and one hind quarter gone. Not a pretty picture.
Coyotes stay away from from our cows because they will take them. Now a wolf is a different matter all together.
By the way the trapper said it was a wolf kill.
Our nearest neighbor lives 5-6 miles away. So you can't tell me that it was his dogs. We live 17 miles from the nearest town. Stray dogs that can be caught are take to the animal shelter, those that cannot be caught are shot. Period.
We do not have a dog problem out here.

I luv herfrds":36rokgk5 said:
Stray dogs that can be caught are take to the animal shelter, those that cannot be caught are shot.

Better watch out, this will lead to killing people!

Well yeah in Montana and Wyoming and North and parts of South Dakota and a few other states aren't going to have dog problems because there jsut aren't enough people with dogs and they are to far spread out to form packs. It is more common though for coyotes and wolves to eat all that they kill though and not maim it. And if the hind quarter and guts were gone thats what i would consider quite a bit of eating. A dog wouldn't eat that much and will kill more than one. And replying to the comment that a donkey will run off a wolf yeah right. Alpacas and Donkeys are not good guard animals. Alpacas are worse than donkeys though. Donkeys might run off dogs and coyotes but not a wolf or mountain lion.

Sorry Dun. Know quite a few people who had dogs dumped at their place and nobody claimed them. Know another guy who had a dumped dog living on his place causing all sorts of trouble. Couldn't catch him. He tried. He was there for about 3 months.
Maybe OT will remember this too. Back in the 80's a steer was found with about 70# of meat eaten out from between his hind legs. He was crippled up pretty good. Wolf attack Iowa. By the way he was found alive, but was put down so he wouldn't suffer any more.
Should have seen the tore up area where we found the first calf. You could tell that the cow put up a fight. Whole herd was scared. We've seen this same herd tear off after coyotes. It was no coyote or dog.
Hope you never have to deal with these predators Iowa, they are not fun and the Defenders require definate proof and if the DNA is wrong too bad. Best thing is Shoot, Shovel, Shut up.

Yep you shoot anyhting that is on your property that isn't yours. Coyotes can be shot 365days a year 24 hrs a day and any dog that is on your property that isn't yours usually gets shot also. We don't have wolves yet thank goodness although some say to have seen them along with mountain lions but i doupt the wolves are here yet. Mountain lions we have acouple that roam the rivers but since its mostly crop land around here with some pasture they don't have much habitat and can be shot if they are seen doing any damage. So we are still pretty lucky.

You know you don't know anything about me or our farming and ranching operation.
If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.
You were the one insinuating that it was a pack of dogs instead of a wolf that killed our calves, not me. You need to realize that they are killers and I have chased after at least 4 wolves out in our cow pasture.
Try having an aggressive coyote come after your dog who is with your child sometime and then tell me how nice they are. Trapper shot 4 of them after that.
I have the right to protect my family, cattle, horses and other animals in any way I choose and if you do not like it too bad.

If your library carries the Journal of Wildlife Management, look up the wolf articles in the older issues,(before political correctness infected good science). Documented wolf attacks, witnessed by biologists, on caribou herds, involved hamstringing, and killing far more than needed for food.

It always makes me chuckle :lol: How people that have to deal with wolves and yotes dislike them. On the other hand folks that are far away looking at their glossy pic book of these furry friendly looking wild puppies think "how nice". :heart:

Latest posts