Wolf Attack

Help Support CattleToday:

Not surprised. An inquest into that college students death in Canada ruled it as death by WOLF!
Seen one a few weeks ago. No d*nm gun. Called hubby and warned him and told him to call the neighbors.
Lost a calf in '96, a cow in '98, calf in '01 and one calf never came back nor was found in '99.
SSS.
I have seen 6 in this area alone. 3 black and 3 gray. Never seem to get the gun in time or have it with me. Need a pistol.

Just last night wolves killed a deer 1/4 North of us. Not even 50 yards off of a township road! They ate the hind quarter and must have gotten scared off when someone went by this A.M. We get them traveling through here all the time. Even in the front yard. I'm going to ski the fence line to see if they crossed through if the wind every slows down here.

I forgot about the guys in Idaho that were running their dogs and were attacked by a pack of wolves. The guys were able to fight the wolves off and saved a few of their dogs.
One guy had a wolf come after him, but his best dog intervened and saved the guy, but lost it's life.
Yes they ate the dogs. :shock:
Look at all of the attacks that are happening and alot of people can not defend their animals because of the ESA.
There have been reports of wolves attacking calves and sheep within just feet of peoples homes.
There is a proposed wolf hunt in the works, but knowing the granola crowd they will try to stop it.
Hey OT did you hear about the insutive (sp?) to ban trapping here in Montana? Heard they are trying to get it started in Missoula.

BertS":3hpo7lge said:
dang, what a read!!! I didn't realise, but for alot of the story, I was holding my breath.......

and Misty, that is funny skiing the fence line......who'd of thunk that skis would be a tool of the trade for a cattle person.....?
Bert....forgot to point out those would be cross country skis not downhill. Good exercise and you can go almost anywhere. Didn't see any tracks through here, but the wind was so fierce yesterday everything was pretty well blown over.

Wish I could have gotten a pic of the kill site. At dusk there was 4 mature eagles, a ton of crows and a beautiful pink sky in the background.

Mostly I worry about our dogs. They have been acting very hinky lately.

We have a large herd of deer wintering on the ranch this year. Been expecting the t-wolves to show up, they been here before. So far haven't seen a sign of them. :D

Wow..that is crazy. We even have a few wolves here, in IL, I didn't believe it until I saw one the week before Christmas. Next time I go out to the woods, the .223 is coming with me. Should I take the .243? The .223 turns coyotes inside-out if I use the hot loaded hollow points.

The bigger the gun the better. Gotta watch out though. Heard that they are putting some chips in them to show where they are, so don't SSS it on your property.

Sounds like they are at it again tonight! More to the south and towards the river(Mississippi) from us. Asked our Conservation Officer point blank awhile ago if they threaten people, livestock or pets what is our recourse, he said go ahead and shoot em.

MistyMorning":1hq9exfr said:
Asked our Conservation Officer point blank awhile ago if they threaten people, livestock or pets what is our recourse, he said go ahead and shoot em.

This is so for here as well. Couple of years ago the farmers gathered money and hired a professional.

I luv herfrds":395jyd83 said:
Hey OT did you hear about the insutive (sp?) to ban trapping here in Montana? Heard they are trying to get it started in Missoula.

I don't doubt it-- the subject comes up every few years :roll:

And since Missoula is our land of fruits and nuts (Californicated part of Montana)- thats where they would start it.....

I thought it was interesting that starting this year when the Fish and Game did their game harvest surveys-- they not only asked about the deer and elk you harvested- but also asked if while you were hunting if you had seen a wolf or a mountain lion...

Jo yes sometimes they do return. If they are just moving through they kill, eat and move on.
It is not a pretty kill either. we would be prosucuted if we treated our animals the way a wolf kills an animal. If you watch the nature videos they always cut out the end part.
The attacks we had were by a single animal. They did not eat all of the calf. Just the hind quarter, flank and insides.
We watch our cows they let us know when they are around.

Jogeephus":3ci6kn84 said:
OT, do wolves revisit their kills or just feed and move on?

We haven't really had any cattle problems with wolves that I know of...Once in a while there's one seen- but usually alone and not in packs like they are in the mountains...And we only get the stray wolf that comes down from Canada now and then.... They have been having a problem with wolves getting the sheep bad just south of me...They killed one of them--but now it sounds like there is a couple more...

I lose more calves to coyotes- because they get packed up and take a liking to veal...

Sounds like their tendency to return to the kill is a weak point that I would use against them if they got too bad.

Now OT if you recall they did a DNA test on that "wolf" and it was not a "true wolf". The respose I got from the people living the area was bull pucky. They are not very happy.

I luv herfrds":1z1aujuf said:
Now OT if you recall they did a DNA test on that "wolf" and it was not a "true wolf". The respose I got from the people living the area was bull pucky. They are not very happy.

Yep-- and the Moose & Goose folks told us up here for years that the wolves we were seeing didn't actually exist in our area-- until someone hauled in a carcass they found up a coulee (someone must not have had a shovel with them ;-) ) where one had been shot...
They been here for years (maybe forever)- migrating back and forth out of Canada - but most folks don't report them and just handle the situation on their own if they start being a problem....
I think I heard now where Garfield County figures they have multiple wolves or whatever hybrid they are...

Talked to some people from Jorden this last October. Not happy people. The feelings around there is SSS and to heck with waiting for the FWP or any others stepping in to take care of the problem. Not a lot of nice words for the defenders either, seems like they don't want to pay for the loss of sheep, because it is not a "true" wolf. got off the subject fast.

I've heard that a donkey/jenny will keep coyotes run off. Would that work with a wolf as well or would they end up eating the donky?

Latest posts