Wish I had 50 more just like them

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for this very detailed info. I have not tried the corr cattle but used LH starting out on very marginal grass. As grass improved so did my cattle as I have used char bull for several years. The char/lh cross did not bring half what a black would but continuous breeding back has brought better cow and better price. My question is where is your market for your calves? I much prefer the care that a corr needs to time/cost on current herd
I am in Georgia. Here, there is no such thing as "buyers" buying transfer truck loads of cattle. Nor are they sold that way. You can bring 20,40, how ever many calves you want, and they are going to be run through one at a time. Calves are weaned anywhere form two days before to day of the sale. No such thing as conditioning calves here. Many do not even cut the bull calves, but they will bring the same to maybe a dime less than steers at that age. People usually wean them at about 6 mos, or 450-500 lbs, which ever gets here first. At that age and that size, and by using the bulls we used, these calves are indistinguishable from other part Angus calves, and sell as well. They will bring more than Hereford or Charolais that age and size.

We just carry them to a stockyard when we sell them. I raised Corrientes in the mid 80's to the mid 90's. Then I started breeding my cows to Brangus bulls. Team penning and team sorting was really taking off then, and you want the penning/sorting stock to be uniform in size and color. Plus, these polled, long-legged calves made good calf-ropers as well. I got oput of the stock contractor business about 2009, and now we just sell these straight off the cow at the sale barn.

I sell full corriente heifers $475-$610 a head
Steers $425-585 a head

Angus cross calves sell just as good as average beef calves. Obviously a angus corriente cross isn't gonna bring #1 angus steers
Yep, that's about what I SELL Corr cows and heifers for too Never buy for over $300, though. Some people on here last year bought 16 solid colored Corrs from us, and we sold them at $650 a head. They wanted solid because they felt like they'd get more solid black calves that way, so I wasn't going to argue! :) Another group member bought 20 2nd calf cows from us, not solids, at $600 each. We had one shot by a poacher, sold those 36 and had 83 left at the first of the year. I had gotten 12 Piney Woods and Fla Scrubs in a horse trading deal, and they were all bred Brangus to calve in March. I allowed the man $3k trade-in value, $250 a head, on a horse . We sold these 95 pairs for $96k., I think. It was less than $100k. The buyer should have sold the calves here lately, and if did as well in Mississippi with the calves we do, he should get about $700-$750 per calf. So he will have about $250- $300 in the cows.

Yep, that's about what I SELL Corr cows and heifers for too Never buy for over $300, though. Some people on here last year bought 16 solid colored Corrs from us, and we sold them at $650 a head. They wanted solid because they felt like they'd get more solid black calves that way, so I wasn't going to argue! :) Another group member bought 20 2nd calf cows from us, not solids, at $600 each. We had one shot by a poacher, sold those 36 and had 83 left at the first of the year. I had gotten 12 Piney Woods and Fla Scrubs in a horse trading deal, and they were all bred Brangus to calve in March. I allowed the man $3k trade-in value, $250 a head, on a horse . We sold these 95 pairs for $96k., I think. It was less than $100k. The buyer should have sold the calves here lately, and if did as well in Mississippi with the calves we do, he should get about $700-$750 per calf. So he will have about $250- $300 in the cows.
See alot of good shape corrientes go for $500 here if somebody can't to me and offered to buy this herd for $500 a head I'd tell them no oldest cow I'm the group is 6 and she's got a lot of life left in her.

See alot of good shape corrientes go for $500 here if somebody can't to me and offered to buy this herd for $500 a head I'd tell them no oldest cow I'm the group is 6 and she's got a lot of life left in her.
Yeah I don't blame you, from the look of those pics. If you'd take $500 a head for them, I'd have a trailer in your driveway in the morning! :) Some of yours look like they have some size to them. A couple look like Longhorns and some others look more like Fla Scrub, Fla Cracker or Pineywoods Those 4 kinds tend to bring more than straight Corriente because they do tend to be bigger cows. But they will thrive just as well on marginal pasture as Corriente will. You will probably get a dozen or more calves out of that 6 yr old.

Yeah I don't blame you, from the look of those pics. If you'd take $500 a head for them, I'd have a trailer in your driveway in the morning! :) Some of yours look like they have some size to them. A couple look like Longhorns and some others look more like Fla Scrub, Fla Cracker or Pineywoods Those 4 kinds tend to bring more than straight Corriente because they do tend to be bigger cows. But they will thrive just as well on marginal pasture as Corriente will. You will probably get a dozen or more calves out of that 6 yr old.
We are retaining every heifer off this group this year

I thought the reasoning behind retaining heifers from those ,was to continually breed them up...
Lord, dunno why anyone would do that! Raising a Corr-Angus heifer to breeding age is gonna cost you some inputs for sure, because they won't do near as well without feed and supplemen5s as Corrientes will. And to breed them back? The 3/4ths Angus/1/4th Corr calves will be indistinguishable from the 1/2 Ang 1/2 Corrs at 6 mos, and will bring the same money at that size and age. We never keep one of those heifers. We sell them at 6 mos fpr $600-$750( last year) and take the money from one of the calves and just buy 2 Corr cows for that money or less if we need some. Plus the 2 Corr cows would not require as much food as one of the half-Angus would. Every year when we pull the bulls end of May, we put a Corr bull in for cleanup and they have April calves. Most we ever had was 12 out of the 120, and 8 of those were heifers one year...10 were bulls one year. The least we ever had that got bred by the clean-up bull was 4. Last year we only had 5... 1 steer and 4 heifer calves. which those 4 gals are all that is left of the famed Kudzu-Corriente herd. So every year we'd get a few Corr heifers we'd keep, And we keep the steer calves for roping or sell them to other ropers.

Have to admit @Warren Allison has a point. I'm still a bit of a newb, but from what I could tell, corriente scrubs at 250 to 300 each bred back to angus is one of the few ways still available to make money in the cattle business if you are not going to sell expensive-to-maintain genetics or way overpay to get started.

After all, the business side is all about what you get for what you pay, and a viable way is to 'lose face' because you take the 'scrubs' and let others turn their noses up at your low-quality, back-pasture stock. But low cost/input with decent returns is often higher profit than high cost/input with higher returns (that have labor-intensive marketing). And cattle science says that smaller framed, efficient-calf-raising cows that breed back faster every year (i.e. corriente) are actually consistently the best money makers.

Got a corriente that will have a long-term home if she throws and raises ok calves for me beginning in 2023. I'll even retain her heifers if they look efficient and show good temperament.

But I'm too old to deal with a whole herd of them. Not too easy to handle, and can be hard on the fences if they so choose.

Also why I don't have a herd of F1 Braford. Same deal. Moneymakers, but hard on the health on the docility side of things.

Lord, dunno why anyone would do that! Raising a Corr-Angus heifer to breeding age is gonna cost you some inputs for sure, because they won't do near as well without feed and supplemen5s as Corrientes will. And to breed them back? The 3/4ths Angus/1/4th Corr calves will be indistinguishable from the 1/2 Ang 1/2 Corrs at 6 mos, and will bring the same money at that size and age. We never keep one of those heifers. We sell them at 6 mos fpr $600-$750( last year) and take the money from one of the calves and just buy 2 Corr cows for that money or less if we need some. Plus the 2 Corr cows would not require as much food as one of the half-Angus would. Every year when we pull the bulls end of May, we put a Corr bull in for cleanup and they have April calves. Most we ever had was 12 out of the 120, and 8 of those were heifers one year...10 were bulls one year. The least we ever had that got bred by the clean-up bull was 4. Last year we only had 5... 1 steer and 4 heifer calves. which those 4 gals are all that is left of the famed Kudzu-Corriente herd. So every year we'd get a few Corr heifers we'd keep, And we keep the steer calves for roping or sell them to other
Seems like a good point. Haven't thought about that one. Might have to do some asking around on this one. I'd assumed eventually getting 3/4 angus calves to the auction would pay more than 1/2 angus.

Also thought 3/4 angus mommas throwing 7/8 angus calves would bring more money. Is this not the case?

Seems like a good point. Haven't thought about that one. Might have to do some asking around on this one. I'd assumed eventually getting 3/4 angus calves to the auction would pay more than 1/2 angus.

Also thought 3/4 angus mommas throwing 7/8 angus calves would bring more money. Is this not the case?
Last year our around 500 lb, half Corr half Angus steers brought the same per pound as any commercial black Angus or black Angus cross beef steers did. One was the highest of the day in tha age range at $1.58. $790.00. So no, being 3/4 or 7/8 would not bring more. But even if it brought a dime or two more, you'd still be loosing. These corr x Angus heifers will eat twice what a Corr does. You will have to worm them, treat them for flies and ticks, give the, supplements, etc. One of them will eat what 2 Corrs do. Higher inputs . So , I sell my Ang x Corr heifers at 6 months for $700. If I need another I go buy another Corr cow for $300, putting $400 in my pocket. You keep yours and lose that $700. Then you have to feed and vet her for another year, at least, before you breed her, and then 9 mos later you have a calf from her that in 6 MORE months will bring the same $700. The one I bought for $300 out of the $700 I sold my heifer for, has had two $700 calves in those 2+ years. So I have made $1800 by the time you get the first $700 calf out of your retained heifer. And you will have input costs other than the salt and minerals we have. The angus x Corr cross is definitely a terminal cross.

I thought the reasoning behind retaining heifers from those ,was to continually breed them up...
Im Keeping these because my wife wants to. She wanted to last year and i
Didn't and I regretted the headache it brought so i Told her she can keep
Any Heifer we raise off these this year so
Far that's all we have had off this group is heifers

Once you sale the 6 month old Corriente crosses at the sale barn and the buyer realizes what they now have a few months down the road. Does your name get black balled at the sale barn or do they know they are paying $700 for a Corriente cross and that's OK?

Have to admit @Warren Allison has a point. I'm still a bit of a newb, but from what I could tell, corriente scrubs at 250 to 300 each bred back to angus is one of the few ways still available to make money in the cattle business if you are not going to sell expensive-to-maintain genetics or way overpay to get started.
Not even with the damndest, high falootingest registered Simm, Charloalis, or whatever purebrd herd in the world, selling calves in Production sales at your farm where you cater caviar and champagne to the bidders, will you EVER make the money you will with these corrs bred to angus ( we use Brangus and Ultrablack) . 120 head costs about $30k. Last year we sold 112 calves, 6 mos old, for $621 to $827. Probably averaged $700 or more per calf. About $78,000. No way can you buy $30k worth of ANY other cattle, and sell $98k worth if calves at 6 mos old, with NO feed, no vetting, no worming, no parasite control or fly control, no fertilizer, lime or weed killer on the pasture, no labor in tagging and vaccinating the calves.. no labor in bushogging the pastures, no cutting, baling and getting up hay. Or buying hay. Zero money or labor inputs.

After all, the business side is all about what you get for what you pay, and a viable way is to 'lose face' because you take the 'scrubs' and let others turn their noses up at your low-quality, back-pasture stock. But low cost/input with decent returns is often higher profit than high cost/input with higher returns (that have labor-intensive marketing). And cattle science says that smaller framed, efficient-calf-raising cows that breed back faster every year (i.e. corriente) are actually consistently the best mone
But I'm too old to deal with a whole herd of them. Not too easy to handle, and can be hard on the fences if they so choose.
Also why I don't have a herd of F1 Braford. Same deal. Moneymakers, but hard on the health on the docility side of things.

I don't find them any harder to handle than any other breed, maybe easier than some Brahmas or Brahma crosses that people don't know how to handle. I never get in any pen, pasture or corral with any cow on foot, though. I do everything from horseback. These 120 cows were on 200+ acres that is our quail and rabbit hunting paradise. Across the road and down about a mile my partner has 450+ acres of fenced in row crop land. We plant our dove field for the pay shoot there every year on about 50-60 acres, and the rest he usually puts in corn, beans, peanuts and cotton. After the first dove season, sometime in October, we would round this herd up and drive them horseback down to the dove field, and turn them on it. Then, as each crop was harvested, he'd open the gates to that field and let them have them, too. About the end of January we'd drive them back to the Kudzu field, They calved in February, and any that the black bulls missed got bred by our Corr cleanup bull for early March calves. In March, we'd round them up and cut the bull calves, by heeling them and getting down to work them on the ground, inside a huge corral that was one time an arena, and we have it divided into 3 sections. Next time anyone is ever over there, is end of April when we'd turn the black bulls out. Usually Memorial day weekend, we'd pick them up and turn the Corr bull in with them. We'd get him out 4th of July weekend. About a week before dove season opens, we'd round them up, load up the calves to go to the sale. This year he put the whole 450 acres across the road in cotton, except for the dove field, and that was a deciding factor in selling that herd last spring, too. Those 12 head we have over there will be alright with nothing but the dove field and 400 acres of picked cotton, but we would have had to feed them if we had kept the 120 head this year. Sometime in October I will go down there and we will drive those 11 over to the cotton field, and take the Corr bull to Scott's. So that's all the human contact they ever got, but we had no problems. Now, all of these cows had been worked on horseback all of their lives, and between me and Scott we have over 100 years experience handling cows with horses, but these cows are as docile as any other breed would be seeing humans only 3-4 times a year.

Once you sale the 6 month old Corriente crosses at the sale barn and the buyer realizes what they now have a few months down the road. Does your name get black balled at the sale barn or do they know they are paying $700 for a Corriente cross and that's OK?
Sales here aren't like what y'all have out there. There are no buyers as y'all are familiar with, no one buying "potloads" nor are there usually that many sold. People bring 1-4 or 5 calves to the sale in 16 foot stock trailers. Even if you brought a potload to sell, they gonna be run through one at a time with the others of the same size and sex. No one knows who brought those calves in. You take 20 calves to the sale and they will be often. bought by 20 different buyers. Only time you will hear who owns the cattle, is when they sell head cattle. Then, people will stand up and speak about their cattle, show papers if they have them, etc. Weigh cattle are in the ring 5-6 seconds at the most.

Don't black ball you here in Louisiana they ain't ever asked me what a calf is when I drop it off and I ain't ever asked what a cow is when i bid on it.

Last year our around 500 lb, half Corr half Angus steers brought the same per pound as any commercial black Angus or black Angus cross beef steers did. One was the highest of the day in tha age range at $1.58. $790.00. So no, being 3/4 or 7/8 would not bring more. But even if it brought a dime or two more, you'd still be loosing. These corr x Angus heifers will eat twice what a Corr does. You will have to worm them, treat them for flies and ticks, give the, supplements, etc. One of them will eat what 2 Corrs do. Higher inputs . So , I sell my Ang x Corr heifers at 6 months for $700. If I need another I go buy another Corr cow for $300, putting $400 in my pocket. You keep yours and lose that $700. Then you have to feed and vet her for another year, at least, before you breed her, and then 9 mos later you have a calf from her that in 6 MORE months will bring the same $700. The one I bought for $300 out of the $700 I sold my heifer for, has had two $700 calves in those 2+ years. So I have made $1800 by the time you get the first $700 calf out of your retained heifer. And you will have input costs other than the salt and minerals we have. The angus x Corr cross is definitely a terminal cross.
I think I believe it. Hamilton county has a corriente auction. Might have to try this method. Got one bred cow I paid 450$ for supposed to calve next month. If her calf sells for $500 or more next summer, I may become a true believer in this type of thinking. I'm a low input guy myself, but my place is ok on soil. It'll average 4500lbs of forage production per acre if we get average rains, and that's with no fert, so I still think 1000 lb angus would be fine and low $ input, if they aren't heavy milkers. Not planning on feeding any hay to the group I have this winter. They're gonna be on native stockpile and some tubs and maybe a few acres of food plots originally for the deer after January, so we'll see how they hold up.

Thanks for the insights. Definitely fun to think about these things.

Latest posts