Winter Wonderland

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Lots of winter here. Projecting a low of -24 F with howling winds this week. Packed snow is drifted up enough that cows can walk over fences in some places. Feeding extra to reduce the temptation... When does spring start?

The question is, where are we gonna start putting this white stuff? Running out of room here...

Don't need electric lines to bale graze anymore (not that they work with this much snow). The snow drifts alone are holding the cows at bay.

They are putting us around 40 inches of snow height, which seems about right.

nsm_depth_2014022505_National.jpg

Didn't you guys know? No spring this year, we decided at work that the ice age has begun. :nod:
But seriously (in)accu(rate)weather.com has my area still in the mid to low 40s by the middle of April, need a soil temp around 55 degrees F to start planting, soil temp isn't going to get above 50 if the air temp isn't

BTW I can't believe that even though its only 5 degrees here today that snow and ice are melting on the pavement, thats nuts :!:

I will gladly take mid 40's in April. Didn't start melting snow here last year until the 23rd of April. If I get a late spring like that again, I am going all fall calving.

Aaron, funny you would say that. Just called a guy today and told him to find me 60k worth of fall calvers. Gonna' change. Winter calving is gonna' cut down on the plumbers farm. gs

Latest posts