Winter Rye to seal a bunker?

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
I'm about half done filling my bunker with corn silage. I have had several people tell me that I could seed winter rye on top to seal the bunker when I'm finished. The rye is supposed to suck the moisture out of the top and grow thick enough to seal the crust on the silage. It sure would be easier than tarps and tires.
Any one have any experience with this?
Thanks everyone.

SBMF 2015 said:
I'm about half done filling my bunker with corn silage. I have had several people tell me that I could seed winter rye on top to seal the bunker when I'm finished. The rye is supposed to suck the moisture out of the top and grow thick enough to seal the crust on the silage. It sure would be easier than tarps and tires.
Any one have any experience with this?
Thanks everyone.
Plastic is cheap, tires make you feel like you accomplished something after sitting in a tractor for days on end.

I've never seen or heard of anyone trying this. Even under the best conditions, I don't think you'd get nearly as good of a seal as you will with plastic.

If you are going to try the rye save the money spent on rye seed and do nothing. It will end up the same either way. I've heard that syrup works well to seal. But IMO nothing beats plastic and lots, and lots of tires.

Latest posts